Cowboy Open

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 228 times

Strong start to the season! Pokes look to be a deep team this year starting off the Cowboy Open with a wrestler in the finals in every weight but 184 and HWT.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Btw, anyone know what happened to Trent Olson? I thought for sure he would be a starter for years in the lineup but doesn’t appear to be on this year’s team.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:51 pm Btw, anyone know what happened to Trent Olson? I thought for sure he would be a starter for years in the lineup but doesn’t appear to be on this year’s team.
Figured it out. He apparently transferred to wrestle at Hofstra. Strange transfer for a kid from Gillette. Best of luck to him but would have rather see him compete and succeed as a Poke.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:54 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:51 pm Btw, anyone know what happened to Trent Olson? I thought for sure he would be a starter for years in the lineup but doesn’t appear to be on this year’s team.
Figured it out. He apparently transferred to wrestle at Hofstra. Strange transfer for a kid from Gillette. Best of luck to him but would have rather see him compete and succeed as a Poke.
They wanted him to go down to 125 from 133 and he wouldn't. Of course Montorrie is at 133. Olson threw a fit and left
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:15 pm
They wanted him to go down to 125 from 133 and he wouldn't. Of course Montorrie is at 133. Olson threw a fit and left
If that’s the case, I don’t blame him for leaving and would have done the same. Coaches should not be forcing wrestlers to cut significant weight period. It’s unhealthy and especially so at the light weights. Concerning regarding our coaching staff if true.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:26 pm
If that’s the case, I don’t blame him for leaving and would have done the same. Coaches should not be forcing wrestlers to cut significant weight period. It’s unhealthy and especially so at the light weights. Concerning regarding our coaching staff if true.
He was recruited to wrestle that weight. Just what I heard from one of the wrestlers
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:37 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:26 pm
He was recruited to wrestle that weight. Just what I heard from one of the wrestlers
I really hope this is untrue because if so it is a serious concern.

Young wrestlers continue to go grow and what may have been a healthy weight when they were recruited may no longer be a healthy weight a year or two down the road. This is a risk that goes into recruiting and no coach should be making weight decisions for the student athlete period. The only one in a true position to know what is a healthy weight for the wrestler is the wrestler himself. Cutting to and competing at an unhealthy weight leads to a weight roller coaster that can lead to serious problems down the road both physical and mental.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

he couldn't beat Bridges and didn't want to cut so he's gone. Worked out for him, I'd say