I hope to be wrong....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bullpoke
Buckaroo

I was pretty critical of Edwards last year as I think he sucks as a head coach. However I hope so bad that I can go find some crow and eat it, but I doubt that will happen.

1st.. in other posts lots of people asking why we don't have anyone who can shoot the 3, why can CCU have guys who can bust it but we don't...? Once again I think we have quite a few good shooters but when you run the offences that Edwards likes he is setting them up to not be good from out side. What we run does NOT help players take good shots or the right shots.

2nd... He has yet to show me that he knows how to run a team, and by that I mean who to be playing with who and when and how many minutes they should be getting. I think this is his WORST aspect as a coach and I would bet my lefty that he will do many more head scratchers this year.

3rd ONCE again REBOUNDING.. until Edwards decides we have to rebound all the time both on the O side and the D side we will never and I mean NEVER succeed in this league. PERIOD.. and this would require him not having everyone standing out of the key.. we will never win this battle

Anyway, I am excited to watch the Pokes play and with all the new players it will be fun getting to know each ones style and potential...
Go POKES
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

wow, you pretty much summed up what was in my mind. Last night was discouraging because nothing has changed. No discernible offense, got out rebounded by 12 vs a DII school with no tall players, and I guarantee he bungles his rotation.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The term that came to my mind most last night: Boring.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

All I know is if Redding and Mueller are both playing 35+ minutes a night it's gonna be a loooonnngg season. I don't read too much into who played how many minutes in the exhibition though. Tuesday night hopefully will be a better indicator of who plays and how much.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

FarmerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:19 pm All I know is if Redding and Mueller are both playing 35+ minutes a night it's gonna be a loooonnngg season. I don't read too much into who played how many minutes in the exhibition though. Tuesday night hopefully will be a better indicator of who plays and how much.
Edwards said certain guys who got 30+ minutes last night won't be getting that during the season, and I'm pretty sure it's those two exactly.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Edwards also said he didn't run any of his offensive sets, only the (forgot the word) continuity offense. Not to mention he didn't play 3 guys. I'm not saying it won't be a tough season, but it's a little early for confirmation bias.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I'm not saying you are wrong, I agree with much of what was said.

This team is loaded with newcomers, however, and this was their first chance to play an actual game together, of course the rotation is going to be "bungled". This game was about experimenting with lineups, some of them won't work, but the purpose was to get eyes on that.

Of course you want to win every game you play, but an exhibition game with a bunch of new guys is truly meant to play with options, discover your weaknesses, and learn from it. You'll learn from a 3 point game waaaay more than you'll learn from a 40 point drubbing, but from a fan's perspective, I understand the concern.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Responding to your points in order:

1st: Three point shooting and how to do it well has really revolutionized the modern game. My take on it is that just increasing the volume of three pointers is not enough be better. It really comes down to offensive style and shot selection. If, as a team, you take lots of threes or very few threes...the principles of good shot selection does not change. The shift has been in the understanding of how valuable the three-pointer is. Even though a good three point shot is more often of higher value than a good two point shot...a bad three pointer is more often worse than a bad two pointer. You are absolutely correct (IMO) that Edwards offense (can we even call it that?) is abysmal at producing good shots whether they be inside or outside the arc.

2nd: I don't pretend to be an expert on rotations and why certain players play and when. I generally defer to they guys that are watching practices day in and day out but maybe they get a little too close and need to change things up.

3rd: Oh...my...GOD. The rebounding numbers under Edwards has driven me CRAZY!! At this point it seems like it's just not a priority. The message to the players has to be that there is no playing time consequences to being lazy on the glass...right? I mean if they were just bad at coaching rebounding technique we would have at least seen guys hustling for boards if they thought playing time would be affected.

And count me among the people who are pretty sure that AE is not good but would love to be wrong. :tickedoff: