Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

My guess to start the year

Starters: Naughton, Porter, JJ, Maldonado, Banks

Rotation Bench: Thompson, Redding, Hendricks, and Dung

Some of the other young guys like Tariq Johson and Trace Young will get some time too.

The only reason I don't see Hunter T starting is that Edwards will want 4 ball handlers on the floor. He will favor the senior at least in the beginning. I think Porter is this years Hunter Maldonado.
tbcpoke
Buckaroo

I think Trace will surprise. He along with Dung have big time hops. Trace can shoot well from anywhere and can get above anyone. He will be a good one!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

tbcpoke wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:19 am I think Trace will surprise. He along with Dung have big time hops. Trace can shoot well from anywhere and can get above anyone. He will be a good one!!
I agree about Trace. I think he was the recruit I was most excited about coming in(Its hard to remember exactly, back during recruiting I paid close attention but since then I have forgotten some with so many guys).

I have no idea about a rotation but I have a feeling we will go pretty deep and people on here will be upset that we aren't sticking to a smaller rotation.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Here are Edwards' comments from the link I posted in the other thread, if you missed them. Early on, I think there will be some tinkering with the rotation depending on who's performing/progressing, to state the obvious. Starting lineups may change depending on what the opponents put on the floor. Should be interesting.

The following is Coach Edwards' player-by-player analysis of the 2018-19 lineup:

Seniors
Justin James • Guard
"Justin (James) was great this summer and has really worked on his body. He did a great job being a leader with coaching up the new guys. He has taken steps as a leader and continued to develop his skills."

Jordan Naughton • Forward
"Jordan (Naughton) has taken a step from his junior to senior year. He has been very vocal in sense of helping his teammates. We are looking forward to him having an impressive year as a senior."

Nyaires Redding • Guard
"Nyaires (Redding) energy and effort has been unbelievable. His ability to lead this team has also been impressive. He has bought in to being a leader at the point guard position, whether it is on offense or defense. He really leads by example.

Juniors
A.J. Banks • Guard
""A.J. Banks is blessed with athleticism and speed. He can really effect other teams from a defensive standpoint. He can be a guy that helps our offense with his ability to shoot and play above the rim."

Lwal Dung • Forward/Guard
"Lwal (Dung) can run up and down the court very effectively. I don't know if I have been around a player that can cover so much ground in so little time. He plays with great energy and passion for the game. Lwal can play multiple positions. We are looking forward to what he can do for us."

Jake Hendricks • Guard
"Jake (Hendricks) has been a pleasant surprise. He did a great job this summer. He can move and run and is a great athlete. He reminds me of some Cowboy greats that had the ability to shoot the basketball and play above the rim."

Sophomores
Hunter Maldonado • Guard
"Hunter (Maldonado) has worked on his body. He has also really worked on skills. Hunter has been named our team captain, as he exemplifies what we talk about here at Wyoming. I'm looking forward to the next three years for him."

Austin Mueller • Forward/Guard
"Austin (Mueller) has been a part of the program for three years. He had a great summer and preseason. He is the utility guy for us. He is very vocal and hardworking, as he does the little things."

Redshirt Freshman
Hunter Thompson • Forward
"Hunter (Thompson) did a great job of taking advantage of his redshirting year. He put on great weight and has really toned up. He is very mobile and has the ability to stretch the defense. He is working on his rhythm as a basketball player."

Freshmen
Bradley Belt • Guard
"Bradley (Belt) will redshirt this year. He is a tough kid and whether on offense or defense, he is a fighter. He has multiple tools to his game. Bradley will use this season to fine tune his game."

Tariq Johnson • Guard
"Tariq (Johnson) is a model citizen and does a great job going about his business on the floor. He is a big guard that can get his shot. He can play above the rim and can consistently make the three point shot. Tariq will be a fine player for us."

Brandon Porter • Forward
"Brandon (Porter) is a very talented and skilled player that has a knack for scoring the basketball. He probably has the best feet, as he is able to guard multiple position. He has a bright future ahead of him."

Trevon "TJ" Taylor • Guard/Forward
"Trevon (Taylor) has made some very big strides. He has done a great job of getting himself in shape during the summer. What I love about him is being able to play with pace. He really understands the game of basketball."

Trace Young • Guard/Forward
"Trace (Young) has a lot of versatility in his game. He can play point, on the wing or forward. He has a great basketball IQ. He is long, athletic and can handle and shoot the basketball."

https://gowyo.com/news/2018/10/29/mens- ... omers.aspx
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

TSpoke wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 am
tbcpoke wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:19 am I think Trace will surprise. He along with Dung have big time hops. Trace can shoot well from anywhere and can get above anyone. He will be a good one!!
I agree about Trace. I think he was the recruit I was most excited about coming in(Its hard to remember exactly, back during recruiting I paid close attention but since then I have forgotten some with so many guys).

I have no idea about a rotation but I have a feeling we will go pretty deep and people on here will be upset that we aren't sticking to a smaller rotation.
Trace has the most upside for sure. I bet he gets allot of time against CC.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Any word on TV for the CC game? It’ll be a late night/early morning for me. Flying out at 5:45am Friday to catch the football game this weekend. Would have loved for them to made the game on Saturday. Would have been a lot more people at the game
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Heard it will be streamed on gowyo.com
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I have no clue who will play outside of those that were in the program last year. no one does, really
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Vapoke wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:35 pm Heard it will be streamed on gowyo.com
I believe it will be on the stadium roku app as well.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

With Porter, Johnson, and Taylor playing tonight... maybe Trace Young will redshirt along with Belt? I'm sure the coaching staff would like to balance the classes and not have 5 freshmen (including Thompson) playing with only 1 redshirt.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Looks like they're sure they're red shirting him? He doesn't dress out but I like his involvement and paying attention in the game. I'm happy for him to redshirt and will be glad to see him as a freshman

They have to throw dung out there on the count to try him at that role that mueller just isn't big enough for
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

The spot in the rotation that someone really needs to step into is PF. I differ from a lot of the posters here and really like mueller. Just not in that role.

Those other guys all need a shot. It's a good opportunity because the guys around will carry that spot. But if someone could just be a little longer and quicker from the same spots as mueller was in they'd be pretty effective.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

James, Banks, and Redding is a really solid guard group. They just need to get the minutes sorted out right.

Justin James is so dynamic with the ball. Banks is also.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:17 pm The spot in the rotation that someone really needs to step into is PF. I differ from a lot of the posters here and really like mueller. Just not in that role.

Those other guys all need a shot. It's a good opportunity because the guys around will carry that spot. But if someone could just be a little longer and quicker from the same spots as mueller was in they'd be pretty effective.
I agree Mueller would be more effective if he's not having to guard bigs all game long. They need to try Porter, Taylor, and Dung. In the post.