2017 - 2018 UW Mens Team

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:46 pm 2015-16 (Last year under Shyatt): 14-18 RPI: 184
2016-17: 18-14 (23-15 if you count CBI games) RPI: 153
2017-18: 17-11 with 3 regular season and MWC Tourney games to go. Current RPI: 99

Sorry boys and girls...throw out all the anecdotal poop and the numbers speak for themselves. Edwards teams haven't been declining at the very least, and arguably have been getting better.

Note: I'm not saying that Edwards is or isn't the answer, I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of people on here bitching about something that the numbers don't support.
And when we end up at 18-14 or 19-14 with an RPI near 150 for this year, what will be conclusion? This team is senior laden and will have shown no improvement from last year. That simply isn't acceptable, in fact that is the real poop.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The only way Wyoming basketball will get better is if Edwards gets better.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:53 pm The only way Wyoming basketball will get better is if Edwards gets rid of Watsabaugh, learns how to properly implement a team identity, and learns x's and o's beyond a middle school level.
Fixed
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

DVDA wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:53 pm The only way Wyoming basketball will get better is if Edwards gets rid of Watsabaugh, learns how to properly implement a team identity, and learns x's and o's beyond a middle school level.
Fixed
Yes. Those are the details of the definition of Edwards getting better. You might have also mentioned learning how to play 40 minute pressure defense, when necessary, like some of the teams that brought down the Pokes.
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

NowherePoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:44 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:46 pm 2015-16 (Last year under Shyatt): 14-18 RPI: 184
2017-18: 17-11 with 3 regular season and MWC Tourney games to go. Current RPI: 99

Sorry boys and girls...throw out all the anecdotal poop and the numbers speak for themselves. Edwards teams haven't been declining at the very least, and arguably have been getting better.

Note: I'm not saying that Edwards is or isn't the answer, I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of people on here bitching about something that the numbers don't support.

RPI is a very poor metric.

You are also very much cherry picking by only picking one of Shyatt's seasons.
Of course I'm cherry picking his last season. This discussion is about Edwards and what he is doing currently. I used Shyatt's last season as a comparison, his prior seasons are irrelevant to this discussion.

And I'm not sure what having 4 seniors has to do with anything. Going in to this season, it was very apparent that Wyo wasn't going to be a stellar team. The fact that Wyo will finish in the Top 8 and still have a shot a being 4th or 5th is better than what I anticipated.

As for next years squad, it's hard to say, we have 2 possible impact players in Mack and Thompson that will have a huge impact (either positively or negatively) on how that team will perform. Wyoming is still a long ways to having a truly good team, which is something they haven't had since 2001-2002.
I don't understand why only one season is relevant. If the argument being put forth is that Edwards is an upgrade from Shyatt or a general improvement from what Shyatt offered, I think you need to look at a more complete picture.

The 4 seniors is relevant because historically teams with more experience (particularly at UW and the MWC level in general) have outperformed teams with less experience (which is not surprising). Next year's team will be much less experienced than this team. Give the same coach an experienced and inexperienced team and they will get very different results. Shyatt didn't forget how to coach between 14-15 and 15-16, he simply went from having a very experienced team to having a very inexperienced team. We are about to see the same drop off next year, but instead of going from 11-7 to 7-11 it will be 9-9 or 8-10 to 5-13 or 4-14 (or something in that general range), which is basically disaster level from my perspective.
Your 4 senior argument holds no water for me because that doesn't account for context. Lou Adams has been inconsistent his entire career. Alan Herndon has been ridiculed by many fans as being weak and lazy (I'm personally a Herndon truther). Alexander Aka-Gorski is widely considered a complete bust. That leaves Hayden Dalton as the only senior a majority of Wyoming fans can seem to agree is a good player. This is how these players have been collectively viewed by Wyoming fans even before the season started, so I don't see why the expectations of our fans on having a good season is correlated to these 4 specific seniors.

Now I agree that it would be ideal that when we have heavy senior laden classes were competing at the top of the conference but 3 of the 4 current seniors are Shyatt recruits. I know many don't care about that since Edwards was on Shyatt's staff and part of the recruiting process but I can't agree with that. In college athletics the buck stops with the head coach and he either gets the lions share of the credit or the blame.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

.44caliberkiller wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 am

Of course I'm cherry picking his last season. This discussion is about Edwards and what he is doing currently. I used Shyatt's last season as a comparison, his prior seasons are irrelevant to this discussion.

And I'm not sure what having 4 seniors has to do with anything. Going in to this season, it was very apparent that Wyo wasn't going to be a stellar team. The fact that Wyo will finish in the Top 8 and still have a shot a being 4th or 5th is better than what I anticipated.

As for next years squad, it's hard to say, we have 2 possible impact players in Mack and Thompson that will have a huge impact (either positively or negatively) on how that team will perform. Wyoming is still a long ways to having a truly good team, which is something they haven't had since 2001-2002.
I don't understand why only one season is relevant. If the argument being put forth is that Edwards is an upgrade from Shyatt or a general improvement from what Shyatt offered, I think you need to look at a more complete picture.

The 4 seniors is relevant because historically teams with more experience (particularly at UW and the MWC level in general) have outperformed teams with less experience (which is not surprising). Next year's team will be much less experienced than this team. Give the same coach an experienced and inexperienced team and they will get very different results. Shyatt didn't forget how to coach between 14-15 and 15-16, he simply went from having a very experienced team to having a very inexperienced team. We are about to see the same drop off next year, but instead of going from 11-7 to 7-11 it will be 9-9 or 8-10 to 5-13 or 4-14 (or something in that general range), which is basically disaster level from my perspective.
Your 4 senior argument holds no water for me because that doesn't account for context. Lou Adams has been inconsistent his entire career. Alan Herndon has been ridiculed by many fans as being weak and lazy (I'm personally a Herndon truther). Alexander Aka-Gorski is widely considered a complete bust. That leaves Hayden Dalton as the only senior a majority of Wyoming fans can seem to agree is a good player. This is how these players have been collectively viewed by Wyoming fans even before the season started, so I don't see why the expectations of our fans on having a good season is correlated to these 4 specific seniors.

Now I agree that it would be ideal that when we have heavy senior laden classes were competing at the top of the conference but 3 of the 4 current seniors are Shyatt recruits. I know many don't care about that since Edwards was on Shyatt's staff and part of the recruiting process but I can't agree with that. In college athletics the buck stops with the head coach and he either gets the lions share of the credit or the blame.
I will have to completely disagree with you. The 4 seniors we had coming in to this year along with Justin James as a Junior and Moemeka who has been here for 3 years now was a very upper classman team and I thought this team talent wise was easily good enough to compete to be in the top 2 or 3 in the conference before the season. I still think talent wise they are.

The problem is that Edwards can't coach. If Shyatt was coaching this years team this team would have 5 more wins at least. One thing Shyatt teams that were half way decent to good never really did was lose games to inferior opponents, especially at home to a team as bad as CSU or UNC. They also never would lose to a team as bad as Denver. Shyatt with this many upper class men on the team would definitely have a lot better record than Edwards does.

People also forget Shyatt lost his best player the one year we went undefeated in non conference or that whole season could have been a lot better also. So far Edwards hasn't had to deal with that or things would look even worse.

The problem is the coaching not the players.

Next year will be a poop show unless Edwards turns into the lord and savior.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:30 am ...... unless Edwards turns into the lord and savior.
That won't happen, especially if Edwards reaches 20 wins. Because then Edwards WILL think he is lord and savior, so there is nothing to improve upon. If it weren't for those damn players that won't do what he says....
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:30 am

I will have to completely disagree with you. The 4 seniors we had coming in to this year along with Justin James as a Junior and Moemeka who has been here for 3 years now was a very upper classman team and I thought this team talent wise was easily good enough to compete to be in the top 2 or 3 in the conference before the season. I still think talent wise they are.

The problem is that Edwards can't coach. If Shyatt was coaching this years team this team would have 5 more wins at least. One thing Shyatt teams that were half way decent to good never really did was lose games to inferior opponents, especially at home to a team as bad as CSU or UNC. They also never would lose to a team as bad as Denver. Shyatt with this many upper class men on the team would definitely have a lot better record than Edwards does.

People also forget Shyatt lost his best player the one year we went undefeated in non conference or that whole season could have been a lot better also. So far Edwards hasn't had to deal with that or things would look even worse.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict next year will be a poop SHOW.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Edwards needs to watch some Cowgirls games. The actually run plays, screen and execute . Oh ya they are WAY more physical than their male counterparts.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

I liked Shyatt and I'm not convinced that Edwards is the answer but to completely give up on him at this point is absurd. He is only in his second year as a head coach and both his teams have been better than Shyatt's last team. I don't see why your so quick to assume that he won't improve as a head coach as he gains experience. Most people improve on the job as they gain experience (Coach K was 28-47 at Duke after his first 3 years, and that's following being head coach at Army for 5 seasons with only a record of 73-59). In no way am I comparing Edwards to Coach K but I find it interesting that in today's instant gratification world possibly the best coach in college basketball history would have been run out of town on rails. In the long run you may end up being right but all this doom and gloom talk is just too early for me when Edwards is basically still playing with Shyatt's recruits.

By years this might be an experienced team but not by actually play at the division 1 level. I would say coming into this year Wyoming only had 3 (Herndon/Dalton/James) or possibley 4 (If you add Gorski) experienced D1 players. And I think we can all agree that Gorski has always been a very underwhelming player. Adams is a juco transfer who only averaged 14.6 minutes of play last year, and Moemeka only averaged 7.8 minutes a game. I would have loved if Moemeka and others would have got more experience by now, but that is Shyatt coaching 101 (he rarely played young guys unless forced to like Adams after the Martinez incident and when James was a freshman Shyatt played guys like Trey Washington/Jeremy Lieberman/Gorski more minutes per game than him). For the record I like a lot of the players on this team and think they have somewhat under performed but not enough for me to completely give up on Edwards.
Last edited by .44caliberkiller on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Cuttslam wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 pm Edwards needs to watch some Cowgirls games. The actually run plays, screen and execute . Oh ya they are WAY more physical than their male counterparts.
And FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY....they are winning!!!!!!!!! :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

.44caliberkiller wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:34 pm

I liked Shyatt and I'm not convinced that Edwards is the answer but to completely give up on him at this point is absurd. He is only in his second year as a head coach and both his teams have been better than Shyatt's last team. I don't see why your so quick to assume that he won't improve as a head coach as he gains experience. Most people improve on the job as they gain experience (Coach K was 28-47 at Duke after his first 3 years, and that's following being head coach at Army for 5 seasons with only a record of 73-59). In no way am I comparing Edwards to Coach K but I find it interesting that in today's instant gratification world possibly the best coach in college basketball history would have been run out of town on rails. In the long run you may end up being right but all this doom and gloom talk is just too early for me when Edwards is basically still playing with Shyatt's recruits.

By years this might be an experienced team but not by actually play at the division 1 level. I would say coming into this year Wyoming only had 3 (Herndon/Dalton/James) or possibley 4 (If you add Gorski) experienced D1 players. And I think we can all agree that Gorski has always been a very underwhelming player. Adams is a juco transfer who only averaged 14.6 minutes of play last year, and Moemeka only averaged 7.8 minutes a game. I would have loved if Moemeka and others would have got more experience by now, but that is Shyatt coaching 101 (he rarely played young guys unless forced to like Adams after the Martinez incident and when James was a freshman Shyatt played guys like Trey Washington/Jeremy Lieberman/Gorski more minutes per game than him). For the record I like a lot of the players on this team and think they have somewhat under performed but not enough for me to completely give up on Edwards.
I am not one for instant gratification as far as the Wyoming basketball team goes. Sure it would be great if they won right away but that is not how I am judging Edwards.

I am judging Edwards more on what I have seen on the court and what I have not seen. Mainly what I have not seen. That is there has been no improvement or that he has learned anything. There are no plays on offense. It is basically every man for himself and everybody spot up at the 3 point line and shoot the ball. Honestly I wouldn't care as much about our record right now if I saw actual improvement or some type of offense and offensive sets being run. If I saw the team dig in on defense and act even somewhat like they knew how to play it. If they fought hard from start to finish every game.

If I saw some of those things I would say "maybe we have a chance in the future with Edwards as the coach and maybe this guy does know how to coach and we just need to get all of his recruits in here." Or something to that effect.

The problem is I have not seen any of that or anything even remotely close to it. That is why I can't give Edwards the benefit that things might turn around. In fact it is so bad I would say I know he is pretty much done within the next 2 years unless there is some miracle such as someone walking on water.

Guess we will just disagree on this which is fine. In the end I would hope you end up being the right one and Edwards walks on water for me and Wyoming goes to the ncaa tournament in the next year or two.

I just don't see it though.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Sigh...having seniors doesn't matter if the seniors aren't good. Outside of Dalton, the seniors aren't that talented. You can have 10 seniors and still lose every game if they aren't good.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 am Sigh...having seniors doesn't matter if the seniors aren't good. Outside of Dalton, the seniors aren't that talented. You can have 10 seniors and still lose every game if they aren't good.
And Dalton can be hot or cold. Last night was an example of how the team can play if they play with some defensive intensity. Fresno was the hottest team in the league and the Pokes shut them down. Kind of how that win shut this thread down.

Still a chance to get a first round bye.

Go Pokes!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:01 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 am Sigh...having seniors doesn't matter if the seniors aren't good. Outside of Dalton, the seniors aren't that talented. You can have 10 seniors and still lose every game if they aren't good.
And Dalton can be hot or cold. Last night was an example of how the team can play if they play with some defensive intensity. Fresno was the hottest team in the league and the Pokes shut them down. Kind of how that win shut this thread down.

Still a chance to get a first round bye.

Go Pokes!
Just because they had one win doesn't mean it shut this thread down or that this thread isn't relevant. Because they had one win doesn't mean Edwards can somehow coach now.

Lets see him win the MWC tournament then we can talk about "shutting this thread down" or how Edwards may be improving as coach.

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 60 times

I enjoyed the heck out of that win...Doesn't mean that as of right now I don't have a bad taste in my mouth about this season. I enjoy the ceiling of this team but the floor is way too low.