FIRE EDWARDS

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
bullpoke
Buckaroo

Ok this experiment just didn't work.. its time for him to go.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Lol this experiment has just begun.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Um...we have won 4 in a row.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

phxpoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 pm Um...we have won 4 in a row.
Think Denver, Northern Colorado, CSU @Laramie. But don't think too hard yet.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I just can't go there. JJ had maybe his worst game of the year. Adams completely out of control again. They played out of their minds and yet we didn't give up. We were the gang that couldn't shoot straight for the first 35 minutes. We are winning close games. Edwards must be doing something right.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Lol. That is all.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

bullpoke wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 pm Ok this experiment just didn't work.. its time for him to go.
I disagree sure he makes inexperienced mistakes at times but he's a young coach that can recruit. We are 6 and 0 in ot this year and sitting 3rd in the mountain west. We are not f-word Duke. If they fired him odds are we would end up with a turd like Eustachy.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

bullpoke wrote:Ok this experiment just didn't work.. its time for him to go.
You do realize that while Edwards has only been here going on two years he has accomplished more with a better record than we've had in a long time right?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:50 am
You do realize that while Edwards has only been here going on two years he has accomplished more with a better record than we've had in a long time right?

This - Wyo2dal is absolutely correct.

While there are times I scratch my head with the substitution patterns, he's got these kids believing that no matter how far down they are in a game, they still have a chance to compete and win. It is maddening to watch, but I love the spirit of this bunch. Give the guy a chance. His winning percentage is way better than Shyatt's (still early but trending the right way).
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CowboyNV wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 am

While there are times I scratch my head with the substitution patterns, he's got these kids believing that no matter how far down they are in a game, they still have a chance to compete and win. It is maddening to watch, but I love the spirit of this bunch. Give the guy a chance. His winning percentage is way better than Shyatt's (still early but trending the right way).
The only comment I have here is that I believe your description sells Shyatt short. His winning percentage at UW was 60% (117-78) while Edwards is currently at 63%. However, Shyatt took over both times in very difficult situations. The first time taking over after Joby Wright. It was a mediocre team whose best player left at the coaching change (possibly addition by subtraction in all honestly, but still). The second time, he took over an absolute dumpster fire.

Beyond that, Edwards has simply been luckier than Shyatt in terms of injuries (or whatever you want to call the Martinez episode). I hope that continues.

I am not criticizing Edwards with this comparison, just standing up for Shyatt.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:27 am

The only comment I have here is that I believe your description sells Shyatt short. His winning percentage at UW was 60% (117-78) while Edwards is currently at 63%. However, Shyatt took over both times in very difficult situations. The first time taking over after Joby Wright. It was a mediocre team whose best player left at the coaching change (possibly addition by subtraction in all honestly, but still). The second time, he took over an absolute dumpster fire.

Beyond that, Edwards has simply been luckier than Shyatt in terms of injuries (or whatever you want to call the Martinez episode). I hope that continues.

I'm an unabashed Shyatt fan so this teams lack of commitment to defense coupled with reckless shot selection makes me crazy....that being said, I do like winning :P. I need to keep reminding myself about Edwards inexperience and allow him the benefit of the doubt when the team he is coaching keeps winning.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Naughton's injury has affected this team. He is a low post presence that we just don't have without him. I don't know how it's going to end up, but Edwards is John Wooden compared to Schroyer. I'm more than a little concerned about what next year is going to look like with our best 2 players graduating. So the jury is out regarding recruiting.

There's no doubt Shyatt was great for Wyoming. I never felt like we got outcoached when he was here. But I think Edwards is starting to make better in game adjustments. I like that he extended the defense at the end of the game last night and went with Gorski and Redding, whose 3's in the last minute got us to overtime. I thought the team could have really gone south after the home loss to csewe. We haven't lost since and Edwards has to get some credit for that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Edwards does some stupid things that I don't agree with, but he's got this thing heading in the right direction. He's got my support... at the moment. He's so tough to like at some times and so easy to like others.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 am

Naughton's injury has affected this team. He is a low post presence that we just don't have without him. I don't know how it's going to end up, but Edwards is John Wooden compared to Schroyer. I'm more than a little concerned about what next year is going to look like with our best 2 players graduating. So the jury is out regarding recruiting.

There's no doubt Shyatt was great for Wyoming. I never felt like we got outcoached when he was here. But I think Edwards is starting to make better in game adjustments. I like that he extended the defense at the end of the game last night and went with Gorski and Redding, whose 3's in the last minute got us to overtime. I thought the team could have really gone south after the home loss to csewe. We haven't lost since and Edwards has to get some credit for that.
I agree with your post but just pointing out that we don't lose our best 2 players. We lose our 2nd and 3rd best players. JJ will be around another year.

Its incredibly silly to be saying fire Edwards during the middle of a current 4 game win streak. HE is a young coach and hasn't made all the right calls (in my very limited opinion) but has made some great adjustments at times(including playing Gorski and Redding last night).
Its still early in his career and he has a ways to grow but I believe his ceiling is higher than Shyatts. I may get burned and have to backtrack but I am fully on board with Edwards right now.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 am

I agree with your post but just pointing out that we don't lose our best 2 players. We lose our 2nd and 3rd best players. JJ will be around another year.

Its incredibly silly to be saying fire Edwards during the middle of a current 4 game win streak. HE is a young coach and hasn't made all the right calls (in my very limited opinion) but has made some great adjustments at times(including playing Gorski and Redding last night).
Its still early in his career and he has a ways to grow but I believe his ceiling is higher than Shyatts. I may get burned and have to backtrack but I am fully on board with Edwards right now.
Gotta hand it to him... I haven't been pulling my hair out in frustration over the lineups the last few games. In fact I thought his subs and rotations have been spot on.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

It's absurd to think we need to fire Edwards. While I do not agree with a lot of his methods and thoughts, his team seams to be jelling somewhat and are becoming somewhat formidable. Were winning games that a in seasons past we would've been blown out in. Were in a good situation and sitting well heading into march. Time will tell if he's the real deal but right now he doesn't need replaced. BUT, it is unacceptable that we lost to CSU at home earlier in the year. Winning last night helps but that stain on our record will always suck. If memory serves, this is Edwards first time beating CSU as head coach... Thats also unacceptable.

That being said, its equally absurd to make Shyatt the measuring stick against which all future coaches will be measured. Shyatt was average at best, and had it not been for an incredible stretch of games and a Cinderella 2 weeks, he would have been deemed a bust. He was no guru, no genius, and certainly not infallible. Where Edwards schemes falter because were soft on the Defensive side of the ball, Shyatts team faltered because they were ONLY strong on the defensive side of the ball. IT was so aggravating seeing our defensive teams under Shyatt hold teams to season low point totals and still lose. At times it didn't matter if we held teams to 60 because we couldn't consistently score 61.

Honestly, I would put Edward somewhere in the middle between Shyatt and McClain. We have SOME defensive minded ideas and we have some run-n-gun mentality as well. I am not sure if you can really straddle that fence and be effective but that appears to be the thought with this team. They can be incredibly fun to watch at times and incredibly aggravating others. At the end of the day, winning is all that matters. Winning ugly is far better than losing a really good looking game and right now we're winning games. I'll take it.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Don't really agree in terms of Naughton. The reason I say that is that Edwards wasn't really playing him before he got hurt. He was not a consistent part of the rotation and isn't really comparable to losing Martinez and Larry Nance.

Agree with next year being a concern. Obviously our best player (JJ) is back, but the next Top 3 scorers are not and while there are things about Herndon and Dalton individually that can drive you crazy they bring some unique skills that are not easy to replace.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 am

That being said, its equally absurd to make Shyatt the measuring stick against which all future coaches will be measured. Shyatt was average at best, and had it not been for an incredible stretch of games and a Cinderella 2 weeks, he would have been deemed a bust. He was no guru, no genius, and certainly not infallible. Where Edwards schemes falter because were soft on the Defensive side of the ball, Shyatts team faltered because they were ONLY strong on the defensive side of the ball. IT was so aggravating seeing our defensive teams under Shyatt hold teams to season low point totals and still lose. At times it didn't matter if we held teams to 60 because we couldn't consistently score 61.
The no O rebounding thing is so incredibly stupid to me. How could Shyatt justify not hitting the boards when we had Larry Nance Jr and Derek Cooke Jr and Josh Adams on the same team. We could have OWNED teams by rebounding them to death. We could have had 10+ more possessions than our opponents, but no, Shyatt thought it would be more beneficial to get back on defense?? This isn't the NBA
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:10 am

The no O rebounding thing is so incredibly stupid to me. How could Shyatt justify not hitting the boards when we had Larry Nance Jr and Derek Cooke Jr and Josh Adams on the same team. We could have OWNED teams by rebounding them to death. We could have had 10+ more possessions than our opponents, but no, Shyatt thought it would be more beneficial to get back on defense?? This isn't the NBA
I never understood it either. It made no sense to me.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:10 am

It makes me pull my hair out with the no O rebounding under Edwards as well.

The good thing is (I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it feels this way), that the last 3 or 4 games we are doing a bit more O rebounding. I at least now in the past several games have noticed multiple times when we are getting O rebounds, whereas I feel earlier in the year we had games with no O rebounds at all. I hope we continue to do more O rebounding, as it feels like the bit more we have done is a direct contributor to our success in winning the last 4 as well.