FIRE EDWARDS

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

tbcpoke wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 pm It is hard to sit here and defend the guy but here i go. I did not like most of what i saw last night. it was hard to watch. Butt, and this is where it gets hard, if you go back and read through the posts all you hear is our frustration with his system. Two years in a row and coincidentally his first two years we have won more than 20 games. Yeah i know, they are not his players and now he will sink. i am not so sure. I don’t know why the new guys did not play last but i feel we have a group of dudes that will not suck in the future. Hunter/Hunter is a strong duo on the floor. Yes, mueller should not play. He will give you heart and is fair on D so he will get minutes. My incling is that as soon as the new guys catch the speed and function better on D, the minutes spread will change. i am not on the fire edwards bandwagon quite yet. We have one good returner (assuming that Naughton will not heal) to lead these dudes. last time we had this problem was a poop season and Josh Adams killed it among a mediocre team ending with a subpar record. I do not recall the Fire Shyatt chants when that happened. Not saying he is going to make it but his end results in the season has not indicated to me he needs firing.
Then you werent listening. There were plenty on here saying a lot of the same poop about Shyatt. Shyatt was a defensive first coach but what good is holding at team to 45 points of you can't score 46? Atleast Shyatts teams were known for something. Edwards teams really don't play defense consistently and they certainly dont score consistently...
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

They shoot threes consistently. Mind you, they don't make many. But they do shoot them. A lot.
tbcpoke
Buckaroo

Then you werent listening. There were plenty on here saying a lot of the same poop about Shyatt. Shyatt was a defensive first coach but what good is holding at team to 45 points of you can't score 46? Atleast Shyatts teams were known for something. Edwards teams really don't play defense consistently and they certainly dont score consistently...
Maybe i wasn’t listening. All i am saying is i am to writing off a coach who has only provided teams who have won 20+ games.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Edwards has decent success in his tenure at UW. I think he could be much more successful if he played his best players and didn’t rely so much on the guys who have been in the system. The newbies, while they might lack on the defensive end, bring a ton of offensive ability (what we sorely lack). Johnson and Taylor looked great in the exhibition. Porter looked great offensively, but was out of sorts on D. Love Banks and Hendricks game. Both seem a big upgrade from Redding and Meuller. I’m not a coach and will never claim to be, but as witnessed by having JJ and Dalton come off the bench two years ago when JJ was the best player on the team it blows my mind that Edwards can’t see it! My stating 5. Naughton when healthy, Thompson, JJ, Maldonado and Banks. Big minutes to Hendricks, Taylor and Johnson with Porter and Redding playing 5-8 mins a game
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Vt poke wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 pm Edwards has decent success in his tenure at UW. I think he could be much more successful if he played his best players and didn’t rely so much on the guys who have been in the system. The newbies, while they might lack on the defensive end, bring a ton of offensive ability (what we sorely lack). Johnson and Taylor looked great in the exhibition. Porter looked great offensively, but was out of sorts on D. Love Banks and Hendricks game. Both seem a big upgrade from Redding and Meuller. I’m not a coach and will never claim to be, but as witnessed by having JJ and Dalton come off the bench two years ago when JJ was the best player on the team it blows my mind that Edwards can’t see it! My stating 5. Naughton when healthy, Thompson, JJ, Maldonado and Banks. Big minutes to Hendricks, Taylor and Johnson with Porter and Redding playing 5-8 mins a game
I like it. And if Naughton is not healthy throw TJ Taylor in the starting 5. Johnson has a good shot. He can help spread the floor. Having Redding and Mueller on the floor at the same time messes with the spacing on offensive and clogs the lane for JJ.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

tbcpoke wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Maybe i wasn’t listening. All i am saying is i am to writing off a coach who has only provided teams who have won 20+ games.
I'm writing him off because anyone that knows anything about basketball can tell the guy can't coach. The way he runs his "offense" (use that term lightly) and defense is a joke. And his 20 win seasons also came with 13 losses and 15 losses and finished in the bottom half of the MWC. That is at best mediocrity. At least when Shyatt coached you could tell the team was trying to do something and they were in most ball games because of Shyatt's coaching.

And it is funny to me seeing all of these people saying on both this board and the other Wyoming board that if he would let certain players play more or would do substitutions a certain way the team would be more competitive and win more games. Ummm.... NO they won't....and the reason they won't is because Edwards can coach his way out of a wet paper bag. No matter who he puts in it will be the same crap. Shooting 3's non stop with no rebounding and no defense but they can turn it over frequently. Just a bunch of helter skelter pull up for 3 every time down court. Can't stand watching that undisciplined type of basketball.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm
tbcpoke wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm writing him off because anyone that knows anything about basketball can tell the guy can't coach. The way he runs his "offense" (use that term lightly) and defense is a joke. And his 20 win seasons also came with 13 losses and 15 losses and finished in the bottom half of the MWC. That is at best mediocrity. At least when Shyatt coached you could tell the team was trying to do something and they were in most ball games because of Shyatt's coaching.

And it is funny to me seeing all of these people saying on both this board and the other Wyoming board that if he would let certain players play more or would do substitutions a certain way the team would be more competitive and win more games. Ummm.... NO they won't....and the reason they won't is because Edwards can coach his way out of a wet paper bag. No matter who he puts in it will be the same crap. Shooting 3's non stop with no rebounding and no defense but they can turn it over frequently. Just a bunch of helter skelter pull up for 3 every time down court. Can't stand watching that undisciplined type of basketball.
This was glaring both games this season so far. Both teams we have played demonstrated great discipline and worked as a team to develop a flow to get their best players the best shots they could. UW just runs around frantically and throw up shots.

I actually dont think this current roster is bad, I think with a coach who knows what hes doing this could be a good team. They have shown flashes of playing good defense and I have to imagine eventually guys will start shooting better. The biggest hindrance is Edwards, his system and style doesn't really seem to breed consistency.