FIRE EDWARDS

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:39 am Edwards does some stupid things that I don't agree with, but he's got this thing heading in the right direction. He's got my support... at the moment. He's so tough to like at some times and so easy to like others.
I agree with this. Edwards can drive me absolutely bonkers at times with his lineups and substitutions. However, he is winning and appears to be recruiting well. He deserves another year which will really show if he has a future as our head coach or not. I can think of one other person that might be a better coach that could step in right now and win more, but I have a full-time job right now. :rofl:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Team picked to finish in bottom half of the conference currently sitting in 3rd - with a win against a Top 25 team. Yeah, fire the underachieving bum...smh
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

If Edwards were to tighten up his rotation a bit, we would have 3 less losses at a minimum. I’m more than happy with where we stand now in 3rd place, but if he ran his best 5 players consistently, and played the rest in certain games where their skill set was best needed, we would be a much better team. When we play overly athletic teams, I hope and pray that Lou Adams has a game. He seems to shine in these games. We can field a very tall, well rounded team, yet we often times play guys like Kelly and Gorski. Gorski had a great game last night, but still is such a liability all over the court. Lineups can change depending on who we play, but I would love to see Moemeka out there a lot more. His offensive game is very raw, but if we could have him, Dalton and Herndon with James and either Adams, Maldonado, or Redding out there, our team could make some serious waves. Please AE read this and try it for 10 mins in a game. Ironically, we went thru both OT’s with the same 5 last night. I would have never thought that Gorski and Redding would’ve have played all those minutes, but we won so who cares
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Plz lock this dumbass thread. Then promptly block this clown's IP address...
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

LOL there are some HARD TROLLS on this board :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :thefan: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:
Riding High!!!
wyoskier24
Buckaroo

If the regular season ended today, UW's third-place finish would be its best since 2002-03. Only once have the Pokes finished higher than third in the Mountain West -- when they won the eight-team league in 2001-02.

FOH.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

It's definitely a dumb thread started in a heated moment. It's safe to say Edwards job security is very safe. He is still experimenting after years of being an assistant. He's got the team bought in and they fight harder than a lot of us are willing to admit. I like coach Edwards a lot always have. It would be devastating mistake to even consider he's in the hot seat. Edwards has my full support and I'm excited for the future of Cowboy basketball.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

wyoskier24 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 pm If the regular season ended today, UW's third-place finish would be its best since 2002-03. Only once have the Pokes finished higher than third in the Mountain West -- when they won the eight-team league in 2001-02.

FOH.
Pokes also finished T-1st in 00-01.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

poke_addict wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 pm It's definitely a dumb thread started in a heated moment. It's safe to say Edwards job security is very safe. He is still experimenting after years of being an assistant. He's got the team bought in and they fight harder than a lot of us are willing to admit. I like coach Edwards a lot always have. It would be devastating mistake to even consider he's in the hot seat. Edwards has my full support and I'm excited for the future of Cowboy basketball.
I agree it would be a colossal mistake to fire him this early into his tenure with a winning record. Attracting a good candidate for the opening would be impossible.

The team certainly believes in Edwards and have bought in. That's definitely important to being a coach. His teams don't show up ready to play far too often. The lack of focus and preparation is concerning.

I'm not excited for the future of Cowboys basketball unless Edwards gets hired somewhere else. He's being bailed out by James, Dalton, Herndon, and a weak conference this year. This team plays an open gym style of offense with spotty defense. The team has no real identity and the questionable rotations speak for themselves. He and his staff are about as far from the "X's and O's" type that you can get. He'll need to recruit at an extremely high level to sustain success. I'm excited about Maldonado and Mack, but the front court is going to fall off dramatically next year which will put Edwards abilities on display. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't ever see this team rising above mediocrity with Edwards leading the way.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

DVDA wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:59 pm
poke_addict wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 pm It's definitely a dumb thread started in a heated moment. It's safe to say Edwards job security is very safe. He is still experimenting after years of being an assistant. He's got the team bought in and they fight harder than a lot of us are willing to admit. I like coach Edwards a lot always have. It would be devastating mistake to even consider he's in the hot seat. Edwards has my full support and I'm excited for the future of Cowboy basketball.
I agree it would be a colossal mistake to fire him this early into his tenure with a winning record. Attracting a good candidate for the opening would be impossible.

The team certainly believes in Edwards and have bought in. That's definitely important to being a coach. His teams don't show up ready to play far too often. The lack of focus and preparation is concerning.

I'm not excited for the future of Cowboys basketball unless Edwards gets hired somewhere else. He's being bailed out by James, Dalton, Herndon, and a weak conference this year. This team plays an open gym style of offense with spotty defense. The team has no real identity and the questionable rotations speak for themselves. He and his staff are about as far from the "X's and O's" type that you can get. He'll need to recruit at an extremely high level to sustain success. I'm excited about Maldonado and Mack, but the front court is going to fall off dramatically next year which will put Edwards abilities on display. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't ever see this team rising above mediocrity with Edwards leading the way.
I agree with you. I don't really think the creator of this thread is that stupid. I can see how some will think it was in the heat of the moment and it probably was but the reality is Edwards x and o's are horrible. He is not a good basketball coach from that stand point. He can recruit but this team is actually under achieving with the talent they have on it.

The fact they have lost not just one game but 4 games this year to teams they should have no business losing to and should have beaten proves it. Should have at least went 3 -1 on those games. (UNC, Denver, New Mexico, CSU ) Like I said earlier in the year Edwards teams will always be really inconsistent because he can't coach x's and o's and he will have to be able to recruit at a high level just to be competitive. Without the recruiting his teams would finish at the bottom of the conference. This team this year will probably finish middle of the pack. I can say for sure right now this team will not finish in 3rd place by the end of the conference season. Think most likely 5th or 6th. Edwards will always have teams that are around .500 in conference play and win some games you don't think they will win and lose a few games they have no business losing because of his style of play and his coaching which is just like the team plays , inconsistent.

The bad part is we have to watch this play out for another 2 or 3 years before it gets put to bed and they can go find another coach. I don't see Edwards ever getting this team to where it needs to be unless they figure the x and o thing out and start learning how to actually play defense. I can't stand watching teams that play the way Edwards coaches. I am more in the disciplined , defensive mind set.

Don't get me wrong I hope we keep winning but I just don't see it happening with the way they are coached to be able to do it consistently. Think it is a huge long shot of that happening.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

This is Edwards second full year as the head coach. In his first year, he took a team that had a losing record the previous year and won the CSI tourney. His team still had a losing conference record, but finish 9 games over .500. The season before, the Pokes finished 5 games under .500. His second year as head coach, he has the Pokes currently in 3rd (only two games out of the first place spot) and plus 3 in conference play.

Yes, the defense is suspect at times and yes the substitutions are strange at times. But you can't say he isn't doing a good job and doesn't have the program going in a positive direction. Some might not like the way the Pokes are winning, but they are winning...pretty or not. And gues what, some teams do have bad nights and do lose games they shouldn't. The key is to keep those games at a minimum. Haven't seen a bad loss in a while.

Next year the Pokes do lose a lot. But, we all know Maldanaldo will be a stud. And he was the lesser recruit (on paper) of the other two guys redshirting this year. The program is not going to take a poop in the next couple years.

Go Pokes!!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

JimmyDimes wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am
Yes, the defense is suspect at times and yes the substitutions are strange at times. But you can't say he isn't doing a good job and doesn't have the program going in a positive direction. Some might not like the way the Pokes are winning, but they are winning...pretty or not. And gues what, some teams do have bad nights and do lose games they shouldn't. The key is to keep those games at a minimum. Haven't seen a bad loss in a while.

Ummm...Denver? N. Colorado? CSU @home? I won't lump the UNM loss in there just because it was at their place...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Eustachey out at CSU.... Hopefully UW administration has the stones to move on from the Edwards experiment sooner than later.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

307bball wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 pm Eustachey out at CSU.... Hopefully UW administration has the stones to move on from the Edwards experiment sooner than later.
Not sure how those two things are related in any way
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:08 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 pm Eustachey out at CSU.... Hopefully UW administration has the stones to move on from the Edwards experiment sooner than later.
Not sure how those two things are related in any way
Only in that they are both sub-par coaches and CSU hurt themselves in not divesting themselves from him earlier and now the Edwards experiment can drag along and put Wyoming basketball in a similar hole.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Days like today really make me wonder about Edwards..
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Sadly basketball doesn't matter much to our University. Otherwise the AD wouldn't have been allowed 4 plus hires ( counting extensions here, i.e. Schroyer). Edwards is looking like the Dave Christensen of basketball ( minus the asshole part). He will likely challenge for a championship at some point based on talent( won't win one) and will make pointless post season tourneys. His teams are soft and it's is hard to win that way. There have been better and worse ( way worse) head coaches at UW, but if the goal is to win championships ( is that the athletic departments goal for basketball?) than Edwards might not be the guy.

Note: Next year is will tell us the direction the basketball program is going and maybe Allen will be the guy. At this point Burman fired a a coach who is clearly better than any of his successors and at a basketball focused school that would get an AD fired.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm At this point Burman fired a a coach who is clearly better than any of his successors and at a basketball focused school that would get an AD fired.
Burman didn't fire Shyatt, the best coach during Burman's tenure. Shyatt walked away.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:23 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm At this point Burman fired a a coach who is clearly better than any of his successors and at a basketball focused school that would get an AD fired.
Burman didn't fire Shyatt, the best coach during Burman's tenure. Shyatt walked away.
Don't want to put words in his mouth but I think he meant McClain.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Yep, McClain had two titles to Shyatts tourney championship. I believe he only had two losing seasons as well. If Brandon Ewing doesn't miss consecutive free throws McClain wins a tourney as well. I liked Shyatt but we was overrated, and his last season was a total waste of a top player.