Random Thoughts on the San Diego State Win

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

I definitely don't love the zone as well.... however in the 2nd half they made an adjustment where they started out in zone, and then as soon as the Aztecs passed the ball into the high post, the Pokes immediately switched to man. That defense seemed to give the Aztecs a lot more problems, and in my opinion was a big key to that 2nd half run. Dalton hitting everything he threw up was helpful as well..... :D
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We looked as good as I've ever seen an Edwards team look. We tend to give up a crap load of open threes out of the zone, but we have to play zone because we aren't quick enough on the perimeter to stop dribble penetration. Kind of a catch 22
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 am We looked as good as I've ever seen an Edwards team look. We tend to give up a crap load of open threes out of the zone, but we have to play zone because we aren't quick enough on the perimeter to stop dribble penetration. Kind of a catch 22
It kind of depends who is on the floor. Gorski is a liability on the defensive side of the ball as he just isn’t quick enough to defend a 2, or big and strong and fast enough to defend a 3. Lou Adams is certainly a good defender, but sometimes plays way to fast on both ends of the court. Maldonado is a solid player, who with time, will be a stud. He knows this isn’t his team quite yet, but I can see him easily turning into a JJ Tyler player if he can develop a mid range game. Like others have said, I would love to see a Moemeka, Herndon and Dalton frontcourt, with a Kelley and James or Maldonado backcourt. The three skinny trees in the middle would be all over the place and we have two solid rebounding guards in the mix. Sprinkle in some Lou Adams, Ny Redding and Gorski (Spot minutes) and we have ourselves I. My opinion our best chance to compete. Playing Moemeka, Dalton, Herndon, James and Maldonado makes us extremely tall and we could play a nasty 1-3-1
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Vt poke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:08 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:35 am We looked as good as I've ever seen an Edwards team look. We tend to give up a crap load of open threes out of the zone, but we have to play zone because we aren't quick enough on the perimeter to stop dribble penetration. Kind of a catch 22
It kind of depends who is on the floor. Gorski is a liability on the defensive side of the ball as he just isn’t quick enough to defend a 2, or big and strong and fast enough to defend a 3. Lou Adams is certainly a good defender, but sometimes plays way to fast on both ends of the court. Maldonado is a solid player, who with time, will be a stud. He knows this isn’t his team quite yet, but I can see him easily turning into a JJ Tyler player if he can develop a mid range game. Like others have said, I would love to see a Moemeka, Herndon and Dalton frontcourt, with a Kelley and James or Maldonado backcourt. The three skinny trees in the middle would be all over the place and we have two solid rebounding guards in the mix. Sprinkle in some Lou Adams, Ny Redding and Gorski (Spot minutes) and we have ourselves I. My opinion our best chance to compete. Playing Moemeka, Dalton, Herndon, James and Maldonado makes us extremely tall and we could play a nasty 1-3-1
+1. Yep I love all of this! I've been thinking about that myself of Herndon on the 3, Dalton 4, and Moemeka 5 position. A 1-3-1 would be awesome with that much length and these are big dudes that can move/grab boards. I think that formation would help with the not having to go with a full line change sub thing too. Stick Naughton in at the 5 for breathers and go smaller, maybe move into man D. I'm wondering if the team can get more out of sprinkling subs then just the full line pull. I feel like Lou should be getting more time and what they did with Gorski looked perfect against SDSU. The big key here is Herndon/Dalton are gonna have to be fit to play heavier minutes. Those guys are gonna have to haul extra weight for this squad to better transition into the optimal lineup changes. If somebody gets in foul trouble just adjust accordingly.
Riding High!!!
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

I bet you couldn't tell from the stream, but JJ was coaching the entire time he was on the bench. Entire second half he was on his feet two steps out in the court during defense. It was great to see a cowboy take that kind of leadership role, especially the star of the team.
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

I am so sick of seeing all those empty seats at the AA. When I went to school there (mid to late '80's) the AA was almost never less than half full and there were even occasional sellouts. We used to have lines of students waiting for the doors to open. Don't people there go to the games anymore?
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

FarEastPoke wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:59 pm I am so sick of seeing all those empty seats at the AA. When I want to school there (mid to late '80's) the AA was almost never less than half full and there were even occasional sellouts. We used to have lines of students waiting for the doors to open. Don't people there go to the games anymore?
I don't disagree that it would be great to have better attendance in general for both football and basketball. But was your scenario the case during Christmas break when the only students in town were those with family in Laramie?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WyomingAg wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:51 pm
FarEastPoke wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:59 pm I am so sick of seeing all those empty seats at the AA. When I want to school there (mid to late '80's) the AA was almost never less than half full and there were even occasional sellouts. We used to have lines of students waiting for the doors to open. Don't people there go to the games anymore?
I don't disagree that it would be great to have better attendance in general for both football and basketball. But was your scenario the case during Christmas break when the only students in town were those with family in Laramie?
The holidays definitely are one reason for the lack of fans, but that isn't the only reason.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

No, I'm talking about the entire season so far. I've watched every home game via computer and I see nothing but empty seats in the stands. We've got a lot of talent and reason for optimism and I can't see why there is so much yellow where there ought to be bodies.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

FarEastPoke wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:56 pm
No, I'm talking about the entire season so far. I've watched every home game via computer and I see nothing but empty seats in the stands. We've got a lot of talent and reason for optimism and I can't see why there is so much yellow where there ought to be bodies.
I think you may have answered your own question, you can watch all home games on line.
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

wyo 1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:11 pm
I think you may have answered your own question, you can watch all home games on line.
I can't buy that. There is no way watching online is anything like being there, also, other schools' games are also seen online and they are well attended. There must be more to it than that.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

FarEastPoke wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 pm
wyo 1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:11 pm
I can't buy that. There is no way watching online is anything like being there, also, other schools' games are also seen online and they are well attended. There must be more to it than that.
It is nothing like being at the double A. Anytime I'm within 100 miles of the game I'm going! Typically the fans that do show up bring good energy. I think if we win one of the next two that should spark some motivation to get to the AA. Traditionally attendance doesn't pick up until conference after Christmas break
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

FarEastPoke wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:59 pm I am so sick of seeing all those empty seats at the AA. When I went to school there (mid to late '80's) the AA was almost never less than half full and there were even occasional sellouts. We used to have lines of students waiting for the doors to open. Don't people there go to the games anymore?
14/15 conference seasons w/ a losing record takes a toll
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Heath Schroyer, Heath Schroyer extension, and lower level seats that are owned by businesses that only fill in occasion are the issue. Heath Schroyer was a program killing hire, it will take something special ( like an actual good regular season team, think MacLain championship type team) to bring fans back. It will have to be multiple years of that (at least two). Can't be a team that just wins the tourney and poop the bed the next year. Can't be a team that only wins half of their conference games. Can't have losses to northern Colorado.

This team can do it if Dalton can play to level he did against the aztecs on a consistent basis.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

You could argue Shyatts conference tourney win only to lose to Ft. Lewis as detrimental as anything. That was a large crowd that night. If memory serves, like 7K watched that team poop the bed against a team who had no business playing us let alone winning. That one hurt
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 pm You could argue Shyatts conference tourney win only to lose to Ft. Lewis as detrimental as anything. That was a large crowd that night. If memory serves, like 7K watched that team poop the bed against a team who had no business playing us let alone winning. That one hurt
That was a major buzz kill. Football was laying an egg. Everyone was amped up for the season after a first round selection and conference title. Huge crowd for an exhibition and everyone left with a sick feeling in there stomach.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 pm You could argue Shyatts conference tourney win only to lose to Ft. Lewis as detrimental as anything. That was a large crowd that night. If memory serves, like 7K watched that team poop the bed against a team who had no business playing us let alone winning. That one hurt
That game still makes me sick
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:03 pm
That was a major buzz kill. Football was laying an egg. Everyone was amped up for the season after a first round selection and conference title. Huge crowd for an exhibition and everyone left with a sick feeling in there stomach.
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm
That game was brutal... One of the worst losses I have ever seen in my time as a Pokes fan....
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 am
poke_addict wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 pm
That game was brutal... One of the worst losses I have ever seen in my time as a Pokes fan....
Oh come now, it was an exhibition game. Shyatt was okay with losing it.