Regardless of the sport - NCAA substance bans info

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

With the 5 hoops players (6 with Washington) dealing with problems in the program, the situation is applicable to all sports and is found written into every athletic programs policies. Regardless of any of the varying opinions of the fans, it is an agreement/condition of participating in athletics.

Here is the NCAA list: http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/p ... nned-drugs

The UW policy in a state where a certain drug is still illegal: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo ... ndbook.pdf

The CSU policy in a state where a certain drug is legal: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/csu ... policy.pdf

It is basically a 3 strikes and you are out policy. Every student knows coming in what the rules are. The individual institutions within the NCAA have to have policies. Since you are on full scholarship consider that at a place like UW you are getting a $20,000 a year benefit as to what a typical student from another state pays even with some academic achievement credits for tuition and residential costs. That might even be a low figure for UW and it is compared to many other colleges nationally. Run that out over 4-5 years and it is easily a $100,000 debt the athlete will not have to be burdened with as compared to the average student paying their way through their time at a college. Here is where the $20k figure comes from: http://trends.collegeboard.org/college- ... ver-time-1

So the question is - is it really that unreasonable to expect a student to uphold their end of the agreement?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

the thought of "everybody does it" doesn't sit well with me, illegal is illegal, kids or no kids, epecially during your athletic season, nuff said
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Agree with stymeman. These guys knowingly broke the law and team rules. Now they must man up and face the music. If you break the law/contract etc. there are consequences. If you don't like a certain law that's fine, but get it changed before breaking it. We would have mass chaos if everybody just had to obey the laws THEY wanted to obey.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

They broke the rules. They have been suspended. They are paying for their actions.

As for asking them to uphold their end of the contract? I think they have done a pretty good job so far. Everyone screws up. It happens. Question is - who was harmed (besides the team that suspended them for hurting nobody).

And they weren't doing it on the court or in the locker room - it was in their own free time.

With that said, I don't think they should be doing things like that during the season. They have faced their consequences. They are now the High 5. Nobody cared before when they were doing it and playing - I don't see why we should now.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I don't want to break any news here but 18-20 yr olds are drinking on campus. Pull their schollies!!!!
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote:Everyone screws up. It happens.
You're right. The key will be if they learn from their mistake. Still doesn't nullify the lapse in judgment.

This was the first offense for each of them. From what I can tell, the next violation will mean a five-game suspension (they may also have to sit out a game next year as part of this violation, but not 100% on that).
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

They had just better hope they don't get randomly tested by the NCAA, that's an automatic 6-month (used to be 1 year) suspension.