Cowboy Wrestling 2015-16

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

After getting demolished by Oklahoma St. the Cowboys bounced back at the Reno TOC. Meredith, Harms and Templeman won titles. If Stroh can pull it together we'll have a decent team this year.

Meredith is very, very good. Stroh is cutting too much. I think he needs to go back to 184 - he looks tired.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:After getting demolished by Oklahoma St. the Cowboys bounced back at the Reno TOC. Meredith, Harms and Templeman won titles. If Stroh can pull it together we'll have a decent team this year.

Meredith is very, very good. Stroh is cutting too much. I think he needs to go back to 184 - he looks tired.
Agreed, I think he's a much better fit at 84. Who is our guy at 184 now, do you know?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Jensen, I think. Jensen's not super good so Stroh could have his spot back if he chooses.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Yeah I didn't think it was anyone that great. I think Stroh has huge potential but he really hasn't produced too much for us
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Meredith's only loss of the season was by 1 point to the unanimous #1 ranked wrestler in the country. I don't think anyone expected this level of success! Sure will be fun to follow over the next few years.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Good showing at TOC after a couple of bad dual losses. I am looking for a competitive year but not a real strong one. Seems like that has been the story for the last few years. It would be great to see the Pokes take that next step up.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

That OK State dual was a little disappointing, but man is Andrew Meredith a good wrestler. He's having a terrific year so far. Glad he chose to come back home.

I haven't gotten to see Stroh wrestle, but seems like he was a much better wrestler at 184 than now. Cutting weight is such a pain, did that for way too many years.
ImageImageImageImage
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to wonder about Branch a little. Not his coaching so much, but whether he can recruit well enough to compete at a high level
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

MrTitleist wrote:That OK State dual was a little disappointing, but man is Andrew Meredith a good wrestler. He's having a terrific year so far. Glad he chose to come back home.
I don't believe that the former Green River football player is very relevant to this conversation.

But Bryce Meredith from Cheyenne Central has been great!
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

I don't have any doubt that Branch can recruit at this level - Meredith being the perfect example, and holy schnikes can that kid wrestle!! I do agree that Stroh is not at the top of his game, but he went down a weight for a reason. Branch seems to get his teams clicking the last few weeks prior to the qualifying tourney, which is awesome. The season is young & the wrestling program is in good hands from everything I see and hear. Don't let the low points of the season sour you on the team - I get to that point sometimes. And how about Harms? - healthy & kicking ass!

This team is strong, a lot of good things ahead. The Scuffle will be one tough test, and I'm hoping WYO turns some heads.

OrediggerPoke wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:That OK State dual was a little disappointing, but man is Andrew Meredith a good wrestler. He's having a terrific year so far. Glad he chose to come back home.
I don't believe that the former Green River football player is very relevant to this conversation.

But Bryce Meredith from Cheyenne Central has been great!
Thanks for the correction.. I'm having a hell of a Christmas break apparently.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

AlphaPoke wrote:I don't have any doubt that Branch can recruit at this level - Meredith being the perfect example, and holy schnikes can that kid wrestle!! I do agree that Stroh is not at the top of his game, but he went down a weight for a reason. Branch seems to get his teams clicking the last few weeks prior to the qualifying tourney, which is awesome. The season is young & the wrestling program is in good hands from everything I see and hear. Don't let the low points of the season sour you on the team - I get to that point sometimes. And how about Harms? - healthy & kicking ass!

This team is strong, a lot of good things ahead. The Scuffle will be one tough test, and I'm hoping WYO turns some heads.
Agree on Harms, he's made incredible progress in his wrestling career.
ImageImageImageImage
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I'm not giving up on this team or anything, and I know they're young (seems like a pattern) but it just seems like all the kids he's had that had national success he inherited. Leblanc, Alphonso, Cox. Meredith could buck that trend though, and it seems like Stroh is always ranked, even though we all seem to agree he is underpreforming
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyokoke wrote:I'm not giving up on this team or anything, and I know they're young (seems like a pattern) but it just seems like all the kids he's had that had national success he inherited. Leblanc, Alphonso, Cox. Meredith could buck that trend though, and it seems like Stroh is always ranked, even though we all seem to agree he is underpreforming
I actually agree with you about the recruiting. I've posted before about what you are saying that he inherited all of his all americans/good wrestlers. Throw Martinez and Onufur in there, too. And Meredith probably would have transferred here regardless of who the coach was. I know Branch is a great person and an excellent coach, I just hope he can get the recruiting going. I think the Big XII should help a bit with this.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Moved Stroh back to 84 and he dominated his guy, 15-0 in the first period (I believe...maybe second)