Bryce Meredith - Transfers to Wyoming

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I didn't see this in the forum, but Bryce Meredith a former 4-time Wyoming wrestling state champion from Cheyenne Central transferred to Wyoming this year. He was originally recruited by Wyoming but chose North Carolina State instead.

Meredith started last year as a true freshman for NC State and just missed out on qualifying for Nationals. He was granted a release to wrestle at Wyoming only this year. He is undefeated on the year and is coming off a dominating 13-4 win over 8th ranked Anthony Abidin of Nebraska.

With Trent Olsen coming in next year, Wyoming will have some extremely good lower weight wrestlers that are natives of Wyoming. It just goes to show, the grass isn't always greener and hopefully Meredith will be a lesson for other high ranked recruits to stay in-state.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

He's about the only bright spot this year. Branch hasn't done much with his own recruits.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I think we lost a few ranked guys to graduation. Aside from Meredith (whose parents hail from Lander Lander), there are two other ranked wrestlers on the roster. I think this team is semi young too.

Branch has done just fine BTW.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

JimmyDimes wrote:I think we lost a few ranked guys to graduation. Aside from Meredith (whose parents hail from Lander Lander), there are two other ranked wrestlers on the roster. I think this team is semi young too.

Branch has done just fine BTW.
I follow wrestling as closely as anyone and I will say that Branch is a phenomenal coach and technician as well as a great dude, but he's only a so-so recruiter unfortunately. LeBlanc, Onufur, Fonz were all Suder recruits.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Our wrestling team doesn't get enough attention. Here's another example...

http://www.kgwn.tv/home/headlines/Life- ... 53522.html
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: I follow wrestling as closely as anyone and I will say that Branch is a phenomenal coach and technician as well as a great dude, but he's only a so-so recruiter unfortunately. LeBlanc, Onufur, Fonz were all Suder recruits.
Ben Stroh was a pretty highly ranked recruit. I believe higher than any of those listed. Will he be an AA? I think so, but time will tell.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: I follow wrestling as closely as anyone and I will say that Branch is a phenomenal coach and technician as well as a great dude, but he's only a so-so recruiter unfortunately. LeBlanc, Onufur, Fonz were all Suder recruits.
Ben Stroh was a pretty highly ranked recruit. I believe higher than any of those listed. Will he be an AA? I think so, but time will tell.
True. To be fair there have been some highly-rated recruits that haven't worked out for Branch like Beard, Trout, Zehner and a kid from Idaho. Stroh was a good recruit, but hasn't put it all together, yet. Hopefully this will be the year for Stroh.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Meredith was just named Big 12 wrestler of the week! First Cowboy athlete to ever win a Big 12 award!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Did you guys all forget Tyler Cox already? Another Branch recruit. Or Andy McCulley. Everyone that Branch has coached has been better than basically everyone that Suder coached.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote:Did you guys all forget Tyler Cox already? Another Branch recruit. Or Andy McCulley. Everyone that Branch has coached has been better than basically everyone that Suder coached.
Cox was not a Branch recruit, either. That's what I was saying in a previous post. Suder got them here and Branch coached them up.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Did you guys all forget Tyler Cox already? Another Branch recruit. Or Andy McCulley. Everyone that Branch has coached has been better than basically everyone that Suder coached.
Cox was not a Branch recruit, either. That's what I was saying in a previous post. Suder got them here and Branch coached them up.
http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-wrestl/sp ... 08aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

JimmyDimes wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-wrestl/sp ... 08aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suder was on Cox and he would have come here regardless of who the coach was. Martinez and Belleville were good recruits that he had bad luck with like I said.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Cox verballed to Suder, by the time he signed his LOI, Branch was in charge.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I am seeing several things on here. Does WY or Branch get top-level talent? The answer is, in most cases, "no". However this speaks volumes about his coaching abilities. His record in duals, number of AAs, conference titles, etc. is extremely impressive when you consider he is doing it with lesser talent and coaching it up. Hopefully this success will translate into more top-level talent coming to WY. With the move to the B12 things are going to be much tougher. OK, OK St., and WV are all really tough wrestling schools. In order to consistently compete with these schools WY will need to up its recruiting game, the coaching is there.