Adams at Point Guard

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Josh Adams future in basketball is as a point guard. Adams would be the best player the Cowboys could have at point guard. However, he is a team guy and with the personal this years team has he is more likely to play sf than pg right?

Of course he will initiate most of the offense no matter if he is listed as the "sg", "sf", or if he were at "pg", but it will make a big difference as to who he is defended by with each opponent, which players he starts/plays with.

Not only do I think it would be best for Adams as an individual player and for his future, I also believe that it would be best for the Wyoming Cowboys basketball team to play him at pg to start games. Is the problem of not having enough minutes for the rest of the small guards a problem in your mind? Do you believe the Cowboys have enough talent at the 2-5 spots to afford to do that?

Obviously there is little chance we even have to worry about those things, as it is a pretty good bet to say that they'll start at least one other "pg" along side Adams and that he will play the 2 or 3, but I guess my questions and main reasons for this topic is to wonder if you all understand that Adams will be a pg in any professional career he has, and wonder if you think putting the ball in his hands as much as possible would be the best thing for this team?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Forget the official position names. Shyatt doesn't run an NBA style team. He doesn't run the traditional positions.
We do not have a point guard, a shooting guard, a small forward, a power forward, and a center.

Not with what Shyatt runs. He likes to run 4 guards and 1 big, or 3 guards and 2 bigs. He loves his guards to be able to shoot the 3. He loves his guards to be able to take defenders off the dribble. He loves his whole team to be able to play defense. Well not really loves it but more expects, demands, and requires it.

NBA teams aren't going to be turned off of Adams because they might check a random box score online that lists him as a SG. Adams will get every chance he needs to showcase his NBA PG talents. He already has. He has shown he has great court vision, awareness, elite defense, elite jumping, elite athleticism, elite drives to the basket, a good shot, and relentless hustle and energy and play making ability.

We have a lot of guards on the team, and there will be a lot getting a lot of minutes playing with Adams.

Just because Washington, Liebermann, and another guard will be on the court with Adams at times does not mean he is playing PF. Adams will always get the other teams best defender guarding him, as he will always be guarding the other teams best player.

If Adams improves the way he has season to season under Shyatt, Wyoming will have another NBA draft pick on our team, and likely another trip to the NCAA Tourney or NIT.

Don't worry about what position he is playing, just sit back and watch Adams do what he does.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Amen to what beaver said ^
Last year, even though Grabau was almost always listed as the "point guard" anyone with even a marginal knowledge of the game knew that Adams was virtually always the one who initiated offense, created for others, created his own shot, handled the ball etc. Even if he's not been listed as a point guard necessarily in his career, he most definitely is a point guard by definition.

Also in case anyone hasn't noticed he might be the most electric player Wyo's had since Fennis Dembo, which was when i was in diapers, so, most electric player in my lifetime :P
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Adams would be a pg on a team full of NBA caliber guys. He looks the part of an NBA pg to me.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Who Adams is playing with does matter. So I agree that what position they list guys at isn't so important the match ups at both ends of the floor are. I shouldn't have mentioned the pro career part and just stuck with the point that It would be better for the WYOMING COWBOYS and for Adams ability to contribute to the success of the TEAM

Some people think you use your best players to put the role players in the best spots for them to contribute and some people think you put the role players in spots to help maximize your best players. There are reasons to think either is the right way to go.

Hopefully Conway is so good that it's not the case that the team and Adams aren't best w Adams being the only small in the starting lineup. But until we see that he is why would you not want the ball in Adams hands as much as possible? How good is Conway and how good is James are the biggest questions in terms of how the lineup and rotations are put together. Maybe it's wishful thinking to hope they are both top 8 guys right out of the gates.

With this roster (including assumptions on the new guys) I would start big and then go smaller with the bench guys.

Adams
McM
James
Herndon
Barnes

If Conway is your next best guard after Adams (or esp if Washington is) then you should use a ball dominant guard like that as a 6th man type guy. If he is a top 2-4 player on your team I could see starting him with Adams. Adams has always played wing and played "bigger than he is" so he will be fine playing w anyone but the real direction with him being clearly the best player on the team should be putting him in position to succeed the most and not asking him to use his energy and talent to put the role players in the best spots for them to succeed. So I wrote way too much but my point is that I think Adams gives the most and becomes the toughest matchup possible if he spends a lot of time as the only small guard on the floor. Give the other teams the most trouble, don't give them a break defensively if you don't have to. Maybe it is harder on the opposition to cover Adams w wings and have another quick w the ball guy to cover as well, but I think it would be harder to defend 2 big wings and try covering Adams strength and explosiveness with their pg.

Yeah positions don't matter- but match ups do
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I think Barnes takes a huge step forward this year. Hoping a 3rd or even 3rd and 4th big can contribute. I also think Lieberman will step up and his game prob fits best alongside Adams (again unless Conway is a top 3 player on the team)

Here is to hoping that James is a 2nd-3rd option offensively type player and that Conway is great and then it won't really matter, but imo the team should be built around getting the most out of Adams whatever that means.

Herndon is the clear 2nd best player right now and I think could step up into contending for all league honors this year but his ceiling will be higher defending and being defended by 4's.

Barnes, Conway, and James are the keys to this team in addition to how Adams and Herndon are used. Anyone have an idea of if there will be a 3rd big ready to be a positive? Or will they have to stagger Herndon and Barnes a lot?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote:I think Barnes takes a huge step forward this year. Hoping a 3rd or even 3rd and 4th big can contribute. I also think Lieberman will step up and his game prob fits best alongside Adams (again unless Conway is a top 3 player on the team)

Here is to hoping that James is a 2nd-3rd option offensively type player and that Conway is great and then it won't really matter, but imo the team should be built around getting the most out of Adams whatever that means.

Herndon is the clear 2nd best player right now and I think could step up into contending for all league honors this year but his ceiling will be higher defending and being defended by 4's.

Barnes, Conway, and James are the keys to this team in addition to how Adams and Herndon are used. Anyone have an idea of if there will be a 3rd big ready to be a positive? Or will they have to stagger Herndon and Barnes a lot?
I can tell you right now that Washington and Lieberman will have more playing time than Conway does this year.... at least to start out. Conway is still learning and will be great for the future but Lieberman and Washington will be getting most of the playing time. By mid season you might start seeing Conway on the court more. Think by mid season Shyatt could have the possibility of playing 9 or 10 guys unless he reverts back to his old ways of only playing 7 but I don't think he will do that this year. James will be starting along with Herndon and Adams. The other two spots are up for grabs and I think it will depend on what the match ups are for each game on who starts and if Shyatt wants to go with 4 guards and 1 big or 3 guards and 2 big's.

The big's we have brought in are going to be good. Naughton has the biggest frame and Moemeka is super athletic. Who gets playing time besides Herndon and Barnes this year remains to be seen. The film on Moemeka looks good there wasn't as much on Naughton that I saw so can't say for sure what we will get from him. Heard he has lots of potential though.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote:Adams would be a pg on a team full of NBA caliber guys. He looks the part of an NBA pg to me.
Though how many 6'1 (HAH!) PGs out there that can dunk better than most bigs?

Not taking away his ability as a guard, just adding that he can seemingly leap over them.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

i think out of the gate the starters will be
Washington/Lieberman
Adams
Mcmanamen/Marshall
Herndon
Barnes
I really want to write James into the starting lineup off the bat, but history has shown so far that Shyatt really really gives priority to the upperclassmen or players that have been in the program longer. I do think as the year goes on the younger guys will get more and more playing time and perhaps start, but I'll be plumb tickled if my prediction is wrong and a couple freshman are starting from day 1.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Anyone heard a reason Washington was on crutches yesterday at the football game? Is it serious? Not serious?
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I don't view Adams as a traditional PG. He's an undersized combo guard. To become a PG, he needs to clean up the turnovers.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:I think Barnes takes a huge step forward this year. Hoping a 3rd or even 3rd and 4th big can contribute. I also think Lieberman will step up and his game prob fits best alongside Adams (again unless Conway is a top 3 player on the team)

I can tell you right now that Washington and Lieberman will have more playing time than Conway does this year.... at least to start out. Conway is still learning and will be great for the future but Lieberman and Washington will be getting most of the playing time. By mid season you might start seeing Conway on the court more. Think by mid season Shyatt could have the possibility of playing 9 or 10 guys unless he reverts back to his old ways of only playing 7 but I don't think he will do that this year. James will be starting along with Herndon and Adams. The other two spots are up for grabs and I think it will depend on what the match ups are for each game on who starts and if Shyatt wants to go with 4 guards and 1 big or 3 guards and 2 big's.

The big's we have brought in are going to be good. Naughton has the biggest frame and Moemeka is super athletic. Who gets playing time besides Herndon and Barnes this year remains to be seen. The film on Moemeka looks good there wasn't as much on Naughton that I saw so can't say for sure what we will get from him. Heard he has lots of potential though.
Great news of both bigs being possibly ready to contribute. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bigs seemed to be the biggest concern after losing two big time players that didn't have a lot of depth behind them.

Disappointing but shouldn't be surprised in hearing that Washington and Lieberman aren't behind Conway. Of course the freshman would always start out a little disadvantaged but I was hoping to hear he was just so much more talented that he was the clear second best small guard after Adams.

I still don't want to see someone that has to be ball dominant to affect the game playing with Adams. I'd like to see a ball mover/shooter type. Lieberman could def fit that role, but coaches love playing as many pg's as possible because it's safest and easiest to coach so I'm fine if it's Washington playing the majority of minutes w Adams too- I just personally don't think that will be best for match ups for Adams.

Playing Adams at the 2 sure makes filling the 3 a lot easier (and the 4 if and when they play small ball w mcm or James)

Is there an early word on James at all? Somebody break it to me that I'm high to hope he's a 2nd 3rd scoring option right now if you have to
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Forget the official position names. Shyatt doesn't run an NBA style team. He doesn't run the traditional positions.
We do not have a point guard, a shooting guard, a small forward, a power forward, and a center.

Not with what Shyatt runs. He likes to run 4 guards and 1 big, or 3 guards and 2 bigs. He loves his guards to be able to shoot the 3. He loves his guards to be able to take defenders off the dribble. He loves his whole team to be able to play defense. Well not really loves it but more expects, demands, and requires it.

NBA teams aren't going to be turned off of Adams because they might check a random box score online that lists him as a SG. Adams will get every chance he needs to showcase his NBA PG talents. He already has. He has shown he has great court vision, awareness, elite defense, elite jumping, elite athleticism, elite drives to the basket, a good shot, and relentless hustle and energy and play making ability.

We have a lot of guards on the team, and there will be a lot getting a lot of minutes playing with Adams.

Just because Washington, Liebermann, and another guard will be on the court with Adams at times does not mean he is playing PF. Adams will always get the other teams best defender guarding him, as he will always be guarding the other teams best player.

If Adams improves the way he has season to season under Shyatt, Wyoming will have another NBA draft pick on our team, and likely another trip to the NCAA Tourney or NIT.

Don't worry about what position he is playing, just sit back and watch Adams do what he does.
Let's not get too overexcited Beave.
I love Adams and his drive and energy, but we lost four other starters.
If we remember two years ago, when Nance went down we had one win. And that was with Adams leading the team with three other starters still out there with him. We have major question marks in those other four starting roles.
I completely agree that we have some amazing talent coming into this program and talent that carried over from last year still on the team, but just like our football team we are extremely young. Josh had games in that stretch two years ago where he literally did everything and even busted out 29 points and that still wasn't enough.
I think Adams will show his capabilities this year, but based on the questions:
How do our bigs progress?
Will Herndon significantly step up his game?
What about Barnes and playing time/stone hands?
Will McM step up or just be a sixth man?
And how long will it take for this team to gel their individual talents into an overall team talent?
We should not get overly hyped and be talking NIT or NCAA.
This team (just like the FB team) is in a rebuild. Even last year when Nance missed games we struggled badly... See AFA game.
I remember when the schedule first came out some were thinking 18 to 20+ wins.
I'm thinking 13-18 if this team comes together.
Remember, as good as our guys are that are coming in to this program the UNM's, UNLV's, SDSU's and CSU's are recruiting just as good, if not slightly better talent. We have our work cut out forus this year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I agree Kansas. North Dakota reminded me that it's not good to get too high. Winning half our conf games would be a good season.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:I agree Kansas. North Dakota reminded me that it's not good to get too high. Winning half our conf games would be a good season.
I get the tempered expectations talk. But winning HALF of our conf. games will not be a good season. That would be a huge disappointment in my eyes. This is the first season in years where I actually am thankful for such a powder puff non conference. It is going to give these young players a chance to gel and adjust to the speed at D1 while giving the whole team a chance to mold AROUND Adams. The problem when Nance went out was that he was the nucleus. It was his team. It hurt the team psychologically as well as physically. This is now Adams team. Everything will go through him.

I am not expecting another NCAA bid but I don't think its unrealistic that we hit 20 wins and play post season somewhere. I think if this steam can hit 3s even half as good as they should, we won't have to rely on inside play like we have the entire length of Shyatts tenure. I think we will look a lot like Boise State last year, 3s in volumes and fast, staunch defense. This team on paper should hit a lot of threes and play a lot of defense. The potential is there to be a great team THIS season. It may not happen, but it certainly could be a RELOAD versus a REBUILD.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

This team is so young that I can't say whether it's rebuild or reload. I expect there will be games where we compete with really good teams. I expect others where we wonder if these guys should be out of high school.

By the end of the season, if LS can keep their heads on straight, I expect they will play well, consistently. The talent and athleticism seems to be there, but it's tough to get that many young guys to play well together, game after game. When these guys manage that, should determine which tourney we're in come March, if we're in one at all.

In the meantime, this team has the makings of a really fun year. Watching this team mature should be a fun ride, regardless.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:I agree Kansas. North Dakota reminded me that it's not good to get too high. Winning half our conf games would be a good season.
I get the tempered expectations talk. But winning HALF of our conf. games will not be a good season. That would be a huge disappointment in my eyes. This is the first season in years where I actually am thankful for such a powder puff non conference. It is going to give these young players a chance to gel and adjust to the speed at D1 while giving the whole team a chance to mold AROUND Adams. The problem when Nance went out was that he was the nucleus. It was his team. It hurt the team psychologically as well as physically. This is now Adams team. Everything will go through him.

I am not expecting another NCAA bid but I don't think its unrealistic that we hit 20 wins and play post season somewhere. I think if this steam can hit 3s even half as good as they should, we won't have to rely on inside play like we have the entire length of Shyatts tenure. I think we will look a lot like Boise State last year, 3s in volumes and fast, staunch defense. This team on paper should hit a lot of threes and play a lot of defense. The potential is there to be a great team THIS season. It may not happen, but it certainly could be a RELOAD versus a REBUILD.
I hope you are right. I would much prefer your scenario.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I get the tempered expectations talk. But winning HALF of our conf. games will not be a good season. That would be a huge disappointment in my eyes. I am not expecting another NCAA bid but I don't think its unrealistic that we hit 20 wins and play post season somewhere.
It's possible to win only half our conference games and still win 20 games overall.

That being said, I too am on the tempered expectations side. If I had to guess a number right now, I'd say 18-12 overall and 10-8 in MWC.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:I'd say 18-12 overall and 10-8 in MWC.
Just curious, what 4 losses do you see in non conference play?