BSU @ UW in Rock Springs

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

That was a complete ass whipping, I really wanted to see Mendenhall beat Martinez because giving Boise a goose egg would have been an awesome meet. At any rate I wish Wresting had more of a following we have a special team and it's like going so far under the radar it hurts.
Triple-WY
Buckaroo

37-3. And, looks like the Pokes would have topped the PAC-12 had they been in it.

Sounded like a very good crowd at Rock Springs.....I heard the Western Wyoming College gym was full up. Good event with the UW band, cheerleaders, etc. in attendance. Also, Rock Springs native Andy McCulley chalked up his 100th win.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Great job by the Pokes. Had a great comeback to beat Oregon State and then this ass kicking. I agree this team and program are vastly under appreciated. While I support all WY athletics, it's hard for me to understand how some ppl. stress for weeks about whether Nance has a hangnail, but can't name one wrestler on a Top 20 team. Although we can't be counted in the "elite" group of Wrestling schools, WY is consistently in the top 20. This is something all WY athletics fans should be shouting and bragging about. Sadly, it's not happening.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Basketball has 351 D1 schools. Wrestling has 79. Being in the top 20 isn't apples to apples.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

American Horse wrote:Great job by the Pokes. Had a great comeback to beat Oregon State and then this ass kicking. I agree this team and program are vastly under appreciated. While I support all WY athletics, it's hard for me to understand how some ppl. stress for weeks about whether Nance has a hangnail, but can't name one wrestler on a Top 20 team. Although we can't be counted in the "elite" group of Wrestling schools, WY is consistently in the top 20. This is something all WY athletics fans should be shouting and bragging about. Sadly, it's not happening.
I think they're appreciated for what they accomplish.

There just simply aren't as many wrestling fans as there are basketball fans. That's not a UW thing, that's a nationwide thing.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Good work, Cowboys. Let's eventually carry this momentum into the post season.
Triple-WY
Buckaroo

Cuttslam wrote:Basketball has 351 D1 schools. Wrestling has 79. Being in the top 20 isn't apples to apples.
Yep, very difficult to compare basketball and wrestling rankings. Number of b-ball programs is off the chart. Current wrestling landscape is a bit more similar to the football landscape of the late 80s / early 90s when there was around 100 teams. But, what is impressive outside of rankings and I think the bigger point is the programs UW is beating- BSU, Oregon State, and Oklahoma this year (we can throw AFA in for good measure). Stanford, NC State, Duke, Nebraska, Navy, West Virginia and others in recent years. That is success regardless of number teams competing.

Two side notes- Over 1400 people in attendance in Rock Springs.....good crowd (some SJSU football games realize around 9k). Second, good to see Fresno State bringing back their wrestling program. I suspect they will also compete in the PAC-12 but believe they will be another regular Poke foe similar to Boise State.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Triple-WY wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:Basketball has 351 D1 schools. Wrestling has 79. Being in the top 20 isn't apples to apples.
Yep, very difficult to compare basketball and wrestling rankings. Number of b-ball programs is off the chart. Current wrestling landscape is a bit more similar to the football landscape of the late 80s / early 90s when there was around 100 teams. But, what is impressive outside of rankings and I think the bigger point is the programs UW is beating- BSU, Oregon State, and Oklahoma this year (we can throw AFA in for good measure). Stanford, NC State, Duke, Nebraska, Navy, West Virginia and others in recent years. That is success regardless of number teams competing.

Two side notes- Over 1400 people in attendance in Rock Springs.....good crowd (some SJSU football games realize around 9k). Second, good to see Fresno State bringing back their wrestling program. I suspect they will also compete in the PAC-12 but believe they will be another regular Poke foe similar to Boise State.
Fresno will have an awesome program once they bring it back. The Central Valley there in California is one of the biggest wrestling hotbeds in the US, right up there with PA, OH and NJ. There are tons of excellent Mexican-American wrestlers in the central valley who would love nothing more than to stay close to home and wrestle for Fresno.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

American Horse wrote:Great job by the Pokes. Had a great comeback to beat Oregon State and then this asscking. I agree this team and program are vastly under appreciated
support all WY athletics, it's hard for me to understand how some ppl. stress for weeks about whether Nance has a hangnail, but can't name one wrestler on a Top 20 team. Although we can't be counted in the "elite" group of Wrestling schools, WY is consistently in the top 20. This is something all WY athletics fans should be shouting and bragging about. Sadly, it's not happening.
It's hard for you to understand? What sport is on tv more, wrestling or basketball? How often does ESPN or Root Sports show wyo wrestling matches or do segments on the wyo wrestlers for the country to see?
What draws more people to the events? Which has a post season that is iconic and a yearly tradition throughout the sports world college hoops or wrestling? March Madness it is.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

American Horse wrote:Great job by the Pokes. Had a great comeback to beat Oregon State and then this ass kicking. I agree this team and prgram are vastly under appreciated. While I support all WY athletics, it's hard for me to understand how some ppl. stress for weeks about whether Nance has a hangnail, but can't name one wrestler on a Top 20 team. Although we can't be counted in the "elite" group of Wrestling schools, WY is consistently in the top 20. This is something all WY athletics fans should be shouting and bragging about. Sadly, it's not happening.

And lets talk about history... did wyo wrestling have a national championship or does wyo wrestling have someone who changed the way the sport is now the way ken sailors invented the jump shot?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Who's had more All-Americans.. UW wrestling or UW basketball.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Who's had more All-Americans.. UW wrestling or UW basketball.
UW Wrestling I would guess but don't actually know.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I fully understand basketball has a larger fan base than wrestling. The point I was trying to make was that wrestling is the one sport at UW that is consistently highly ranked and turns out AAs. It seems to me more people should be bragging about that and celebrating it, even if you aren't a wrestling fan. I don't particularly care about B ball, however every time the Pokes win I make sure all my co-workers know about it. Maybe Beaver Poke is right, since wrestling isn't on tv as much as basketball, we shouldn't shout about the success UW has in wrestling. I just don't see it that way.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Certainly wrestling. That's not just a factor of our success in it either. Every year there are 80 wrestlers that achieve All-American status (Top 8 in each weight class); I believe only 15 players get All-American in Basketball (5 players 1st, 2nd & 3rd team).
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Basketball & Football use to be exactly the same, Remember when the only coverage was live and listening to the game on the radio? I remember all the years in the WAC and very few televised games and it wasn't until the MWC was created and the MWC Network started that we got to enjoy every game year in and year out.

I think the MWC Network could be a success if they partner with someone and sell it to all the networks not just one network and they cover all college sports not just Football & Basketball.

It has to be a full blown cover everything and it will succeed but that ship has most likely sailed and sunk.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Certainly wrestling. That's not just a factor of our success in it either. Every year there are 80 wrestlers that achieve All-American status (Top 8 in each weight class); I believe only 15 players get All-American in Basketball (5 players 1st, 2nd & 3rd team).
Exactly. 10 percent of guys in each weight class earn all American status (8 guys out of 80 teams) but less than 1 percent of basketball players at each position earn all American status (3 out of 351)
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

American Horse wrote: Maybe Beaver Poke is right, since wrestling isn't on tv as much as basketball, we shouldn't shout about the success UW has in wrestling. I just don't see it that way.
I didn't say we shouldn't shout about the success UW is having in wrestling because it's not on TV.

You said that you don't see why people aren't going crazy about wrestling, I said that because it's not on TV, it's not as popular, it doesn't have the draw the way hoops do.
Simple as that. I was telling you why people aren't going crazy about it, not that you can't be going crazy about it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Good for Wyo - anything Wyo does great, is...well...great. Not sure there is any comparison that makes sense though - basketball, football, chess, etc.

I will say this though - there was a study done a couple of years ago, where 100 sports fans entering a sports-book in Las Vegas were polled on what their top 10 sports to follow are (key is follow - not just watch on TV). And wrasslin' wasn't mentioned once. By any of the 100. Not once. Of course, there may be a little bit of the wager-factor to include in this, but still.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...