Wrestlers take on the Zoomies

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Wyo wrestling gets back at it tonight at 7 PM MT. For those of you in Laramie, stop by the dual and enter in the FREE raffle, drawings after each match for items like apparel, gift certificates and a TV.

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-wrestl/sp ... 14aab.html
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

The one sport we consistently rank in, Let's go Pokes!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 33 times

That was an ass kicking last night, 34-0. The team seems to be hitting on all cylinders right now.
ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Need to win the conference this season. Then maybe, and hopefully, look at joining the Big 12 for wrestling? Step up in recruiting and competition.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

I would like a move to the Big 12, but you have to wonder if they would want to add a member. There are currently 4 schools in the Big 12, makes their post-season tourney pretty easy, 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3...adding a 5th team would throw a wrench in to that. Plus you have to wonder how much benefit they would get from adding a 5th team. If adding Wyoming would give the Big 12 more automatic NCAA spots, then I could see it...
Charpy
Buckaroo

I was really looking forward to seeing Cox and Josh Martinez wrestle but it didn't happen. Martinez didn't wrestle and Cox Tech-falled the backup. Cox and Martinez have a great rivalry and this was going to be a good measuring stick for where Cox is at as a wrestler this year. (The loss to Minnesota's Brancale doesn't mean much other than Cox can still get sloppy at times.)

Martinez wrestled in the Cliff Keen Vegas tournament and finished 5th. I couldn't find anything indicating an injury.

Maybe it was a strategic move keeping Martinez and Stafford (their only other ranked wrestler) out of the line-up. I don't understand why.

On a different note, The Cowboys look really tough these last four duals. Yes, I get that there is a drop in the competition but they have an intensity and fire that just wasn't there against Minnesota and Nebraska.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

This really looks like it was an ass kicking. AF is not great but aren't bad either. I had faith Branch would right the ship after those early losses. Let's hope the progress continues. By any measurable means, wrestling is the flagship sport at UW at this time. I agree a move to the Big 12 would be great for WY wrestling but have my doubts that it will happen. We have to look at it from the B-12 perspective. What are the benefits for THEM? Do they want to come to Laramie every other year? Will letting WY in make money? Could it possibly keep some of their kids out of the NCAA tiny. or cost them a conference title? I am hopeful but not optimistic that it will happen.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Would have liked to see Martinez and Stafford, but good win, Pokes.