2014-2015 Poke Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke wrote:
303cowboy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:So...Wyoming didn't win the WCC this year? But had 3 wrestlers qualify for the NCAA (Stroh, Woods, Cox)? Best of luck to those 3.

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... f2daf.html

Looks like they had 5 qualify automatically (Cox, Friesth, Stroh, Woods & Harms) and Im guessing McCulley will get an at large.
I think there is some major confusion here thanks to an extremely poorly written article by Wyosports. Friesth and Harms lost their true second place matches and therefore do not automatically qualify. Wyosports, by saying Friesth and Harms qualify for an at-large bid is misleading at best and outright wrong at worst. Technically, any wrestler in the country qualifies for consideration of an at-large selection. It would be impossible for Friesth to and Harms to have earned at-large selections because they will be informed on Wed. if they have indeed been awarded an at-large selection. The decision has not been made, yet. I would say the McCulley and Friesth stand a good chance of getting an at-large, but Harms not so much.

http://www.westernwrestlingconference.c ... 15aaa.html

According to the WWC site Friesth and Harms won the true second place match.
Last edited by 303cowboy on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

303cowboy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
303cowboy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:So...Wyoming didn't win the WCC this year? But had 3 wrestlers qualify for the NCAA (Stroh, Woods, Cox)? Best of luck to those 3.

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... f2daf.html

Looks like they had 5 qualify atomically (Cox, Friesth, Stroh, Woods & Harms) and Im guessing McCulley will get an at large.
I think there is some major confusion here thanks to an extremely poorly written article by Wyosports. Friesth and Harms lost their true second place matches and therefore do not automatically qualify. Wyosports, by saying Friesth and Harms qualify for an at-large bid is misleading at best and outright wrong at worst. Technically, any wrestler in the country qualifies for consideration of an at-large selection. It would be impossible for Friesth to and Harms to have earned at-large selections because they will be informed on Wed. if they have indeed been awarded an at-large selection. The decision has not been made, yet. I would say the McCulley and Friesth stand a good chance of getting an at-large, but Harms not so much.

http://www.westernwrestlingconference.c ... 15aaa.html

According to the WWC site Friesth and Harms won the true second place match.
Ah. I thought they lost. I swear I read somewhere they lost. It all makes sense now. Thanks
NewYooper
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Unfortunately, the press release from the Wyoming SID had both Friesth and Harms losing the second place matches. I believe it was also Tweeted by the athletic department that both last their matches. I think this is where the confusion came in. Finally, the TrackWrestle site never posted the results of these matches. I will acknowledge my frustration.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

It is ridiculous. Why didn't Wyosports just say they automatically qualified? which they did.
NewYooper
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Again, you would hope that the press release from UW could get it right, but it didn't. The press release had both Friesth and Harms losing the second place match when they both actually won (by receiving forfeits). Imagine WyoSports trying to write their story when they had conflicting information.

While frustrated, I am ready to move on.

At this point, let's all have positive thoughts that McCulley will receive a wild card spot (I think this is almost a sure thing). Also, Archie Colgan has decent shot at receiving a wild card entry.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I would be shock and appalled if MuCulley doesn't get an at-large. It would be great if Colgan made it, too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Pretty confusing for sure but 5 Pokes are in. I agree with LanderPoke, Andy should be in but Colgan is probably a long shot. I guess we will know tomorrow. It looks like this group is more of a good dual-type team ( good throughout but no "elite" type wrestlers.). I think all are capable of winning a match or two, and hopefully more, but chances to get any AAs is probably slim. At any rate good luck to the Pokes, we are with you!
303cowboy
Cowpoke

Looks like McCulley made it and Colgan did not. So they'll send 6 wrestlers

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/arti ... selections
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

6 is pretty good. While not many of them will be favored to place Top 8, sending 6 is the most I can remember for some time.

Just scanned through the entries. This was a quick look through, but I think it breaks down as follows:

There are 8 teams sending 6 wrestlers including Wyo.
8 sending 7.
3 sending 8.
3 sending 9.
5 sending all 10. Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Missouri and Michigan.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

How do you like Cox's draw? Get's seeded 8 and his first match is against the 2 time defending champ. Jesse Delgado was hurt most the year so he didn't get seeded but still has to be the odds on favorite to win the whole thing.

Hopefully Im wrong but Woods and McCulley are the only one with winnable first matches.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

303cowboy wrote:How do you like Cox's draw? Get's seeded 8 and his first match is against the 2 time defending champ. Jesse Delgado was hurt most the year so he didn't get seeded but still has to be the odds on favorite to win the whole thing.

Hopefully Im wrong but Woods and McCulley are the only one with winnable first matches.
Have you got a link to the draws?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cox got a crappy, crappy draw.

In addition to McCulley and Woods having winnable first matches I would add Stroh in there, too. Stroh is capable of beating anyone in my opinion because he's got a very high 'A' game.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:Cox got a crappy, crappy draw.

In addition to McCulley and Woods having winnable first matches I would add Stroh in there, too. Stroh is capable of beating anyone in my opinion because he's got a very high 'A' game.
I guess I left Stroh out because he's in the pigtail. He should win that but his "first" round match will be against the 9 seed from Iowa. But you're right, he can hang with anyone hopefully he pulls it off
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming Wrestling: Preview of NCAA DI National Tournament (WYO-VISION)

Seniors 197 lbs. Shane Woods and 165 lbs. Dakota Friesth talk about the upcoming competition at the 2015 National Tournament.

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/wyoathletics/status ... 1512422402 Thursday: Session I, 10 a.m. MT on ESPNU/ESPN3.com; session II, 5 p.m. MT on ESPNU/ESPN3.com
Friday: Session III, 9 a.m. MT, ESPNU/ESPN3.com; session IV, 6 p.m. MT, ESPN/ESPN3.com
Saturday: Session V, 9 a.m. MT, ESPNU/ESPN3.com; session VI, 6 p.m. MT, ESPN/ESPN3.com

Brackets: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo ... 031115.pdf