Wrestler wins national title, AD gets $18000

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Dan Wetzel has a pretty good column here about the Ohio State wrestler who won a national championship this past weekend and as a reward his athletic director won an $18,000 bonus. Yeah, college athletics is definitely not about the money.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/college-wr ... 31816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

And the sad thing (as the article properly points out) is that very few wrestlers get full scholarships as there are only a total of 9.9 scholarships for the entire team...and this is why many of the top upper weight wrestlers typically pursue football in college (see Tevis Bartlett).
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Or they do dual sport, like Dusty Hoffschneider did.
ImageImageImageImage
American Horse
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:Or they do dual sport, like Dusty Hoffschneider did.
Obviously this can be done, you provided a great example. However it is extremely rare. Football coaches don't want their scholarship kids taking a chance at injury or doing anything but training for football. As far as I could find out, not a single heavyweight NCAA qualifier also played football. i will add that my info. is not complete and there may be some that didnt qualify. This is almost a no-brainier if you are a big guy. Take a full scholarship and play football, or a partial and wrestle?
Some of you may remember Jeff Boyle that played nose-guard for the Pokes. What a lot of you may not know is he was also the ASICS wrestler of the year his Sr. year in HS. Every elite wrestling school in the nation was ready to offer him a (partial) wrestling scholarship but he chose to take the full ride.
To return to the original comment, it's pretty obvious big time college athletics is a huge money game. I know wrestling is pretty big at Ohio State, I look for them to make a run for the national title next year. But I also believe a lot of ADs wouldn't know a wrist lock from a wristwatch until they get one of these bonuses. I bet they become bigger fans at that point.