NCAA Wrestling Championships

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

MrTitleist wrote:Tyler was eliminated in a 11-7 decision this morning. :(
Awful. The way Cox was wrestling at the end of the season, I would have never guessed. Shockingly all 3 125lb qualifiers from the WWC have been eliminated.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:Tyler was eliminated in a 11-7 decision this morning. :(
Awful. The way Cox was wrestling at the end of the season, I would have never guessed. Shockingly all 3 125lb qualifiers from the WWC have been eliminated.
still love the fact that we're factors and he'll be a force to reckon with
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Stroh pinned in the first period and eliminated. I was certainly way off in my predictions.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Friesth eliminated.

Will end up as worst NCAAs in Branch's tenure.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Woods is the last hope, and he's up now.
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:Woods is the last hope, and he's up now.
Congrats to Woods for his victory over Meeks of Oregon State and by far the best win for the Cowboys.
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

Woods beat Meeks 5-3!! Way to go Shane!!

Ed Ruth is a machine - fall, tech fall, major dec. He has Dean from Cornell next. No way Dean beats him again. In fact, I'd suspect Ruth wants some revenge.

AlphaPoke wrote:Ed Ruth is a machine - fall, tech fall, major dec. He has Dean from Cornell next. No way Dean beats him again. In fact, I'd suspect Ruth wants some revenge.
No way anyone touches David Taylor...fall, fall, fall
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wooods loses to the wrestler from Pitt and with that the Wyoming Cowboys tournament has come to a conclusion. Very disappointing tournament to say the least.

Hoping the team comes back real hungry next year. I have to think that the first period pin will be on Stroh's mind for the next year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

Woods loses to Bonaccorsi of Pitt in OT 6-4. With that Wyo's season is over.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Disappointing tournament-yes, unexpected-no (see my first post, this thread.). I will say I was hopeful for more wins then this. Look for the Pokes to come back very strong next year. This will absolutely eat at Coach Branch for quite some time and it will get remedied. Very young and inexperienced team that was inconsistent this year. At this tournament that youthfulness was exposed. However at times this year they showed their toughness and willpower and I expect that to come to the forefront next year.
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

That was a tough ending for the team. In one of the toughest schedules that I can remember, there are a lot of positives to take away from this wrestling season.

What really impressed me this season was the toughness of the redshirt freshman. Mendenhall is one fun scrapper to watch wrestle. This season he got to wrestle Dardanes, Collica & Lester, and had pretty good showings in most of his losses. Stroh is going to be a beast for this program. Next year I bet he's ranked in the top 10 before the halfway point of the season. Winning the Reno TOC is a solid accomplishment for any redshirt freshman. Havlic also stepped up at certain points this season.

I hope next year we can get more production from the 133, 174 & HWT slots. It's tough to be competitive in duals against the top programs when there are holes in the lineup.

As always, I'm really excited for next year. This team gained a ton of valuable experience this year, and I'd think that we qualify at least two more for the NCAA's next year.

GO POKES!!
Been liked: 31 times

You guys watch the semis last night? Bedlam at 174 (I think?) is going to be fun in the finals. Love that wrestling is getting a spot on ESPN now.
ImageImageImageImage
American Horse
Ranch Hand

This whole tournament has been crazy! So much fun to watch and the skill level of these guys is incredible. I am really looking forward to the Pokes season next year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Howe vs. Perry !! I am saying 3 video reviews minimum
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pretty good finals. I was surprised at the way Perry dominated the Howe-Perry match.

With Delgado, Garrett and Megaludis all returning next year, Tyler Cox really has his work cut out for him. Top-to-bottom, 125 is the strongest class in my opinion. Delgado has insane scrambling ability and is fun to watch. If all those guys stay at 125, perhaps Cox moves up a weight.

David Taylor and Ed Ruth are just on a different level than everyone else. With those two graduating, it looks like Penn State's run may be over next year. Oklahoma State and Ohio State (Stieber goes for 4) are my picks for next year.
rhinorv
Buckaroo

Zach beard will be in at 174 and be ready to watch a talented young guy wrestle. It would be nice to have an actual hwt for the whole season for once. I lo end helbig and Pfeiffer does OK, but they won't ever be able to qualify. Harms may if he could stay healthy. When he finally came back after the northwest open this year he gassed bad in the end of matches...
Using Tapatalk
rhinorv
Buckaroo

*loved helbig
Using Tapatalk
American Horse
Ranch Hand

rhinorv wrote:Zach beard will be in at 174 and be ready to watch a talented young guy wrestle. It would be nice to have an actual hwt for the whole season for once. I lo end helbig and Pfeiffer does OK, but they won't ever be able to qualify. Harms may if he could stay healthy. When he finally came back after the northwest open this year he gassed bad in the end of matches...
Agree. Love watching Pfeiffer...don't think the kid knows how to back off! In your face all match whether ahead or behind but terribly undersized and not a factor in the big show. Harms could be but needs to be healthy. Besides Cox we will also need to strengthen the line-up down low. I still think WY will be top-20 next year. I guess we'll see!