NCAA Wrestling Championships

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

Wrestling Championships start on Thursday. The early rounds can be viewed on ESPN3. Hopefully next year McCulley and Mendenhall will win their conference weights and get in.

Has anyone had a chance to look at the brackets? Strohs first round draw of #1 Sheptock is brutal. I'm looking forward to Woods first round matchup with Iowa's Burak. Cox's bracket also looks brutal, but then again they are all brutal at this tournament.

This will be good experience for this young team - GO POKES!!
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Stroh got a tough first round matchup. Cox has a tough bracket, but he's capable of placing. We'll see how tough these guys are this weekend. Stroh is the most interesting one to me..
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I will predict:

Tyle Cox - 3rd place
Ben Stroh- 5th place
Wyoming Cowboys Team: 16th place

125 is a stacked bracket. If Cox loses, I expect him to come back with a flurry and take 3rd! Stroh has such an uphill battle facing the #1 in his first match, but he will be an AA!

As far as team title, Penn State in a landslide again.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Oh and the potential Chris Perry-Andrew Howe rematch should be awesome! Perry is a guy that you always love to root against but he always finds a way to pull it out (even when he looks terrible) and may be the best rider on the top position of all-time.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I said it earlier, (before brackets were out) this could be a tough year for the Pokes at the NCAAs. Now that brackets are out, it does look rough. However I will never write off any of these guys. 125 lbs. is stacked all the way through but I think Cox comes through for his 2nd AA. Stroh got terrible 1st round draw but could come through if he losses that. Others can place if they come out on fire. Best of luck to all the Poke wrestlers. Thanks for being a successful team I can be proud of and I look forward to even greater things in the future,
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

If there's a Cox v. Delgado matchup on Friday morning, I'm calling in sick to work.

AlphaPoke wrote:If there's a Cox v. Delgado matchup on Friday morning, I'm calling in sick to work.
LOL! That would be worth missing some work for!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

What is the outlook for WYO next season?

Top 15-20 ranking possible?

How many potential NCAA qualifiers next year?
American Horse
Ranch Hand

POKE FAN wrote:What is the outlook for WYO next season?

Things look very good for next year, especially looking at how young they are this year. Top 20 probable, top 10 definitely possible. Depending how wts. Shake out I would say 6-7 qualify and if the wrestling gods bless us maybe more. Since there is only 10 wt. classes that would be HUGE.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

American Horse wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:What is the outlook for WYO next season?

Things look very good for next year, especially looking at how young they are this year. Top 20 probable, top 10 definitely possible. Depending how wts. Shake out I would say 6-7 qualify and if the wrestling gods bless us maybe more. Since there is only 10 wt. classes that would be HUGE.
That's good to hear. I knew they were relatively young this year, but wasn't quite sure if the program was ready to take a jump up on the national scene next year, or not. Really interesting interview with Branch. I hope we can keep him for awhile. Hopefully, the facility upgrades will be a boost to the Top 10 aspirations of Branch and the program.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Update:

Cowboys go 1-3 in first round :(

#9 seed Tyler Cox with the lone victory will face the #8 seed in round of 16.

Stroh loses 10-3 decision to undefeated #1 seed. I fully expect him to make noise in the wrestlebacks.
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

A few upsets in the 184 # class this morning, wrestlebacks will be tough. Cox has the #9 Iowa kid next.

Cox loses 8-5 to #8 seed Clark of Iowa.

Going to be an uphill climb for any Wyoming wrestler to reach AA.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Tough day for sure but not totally unexpected. Looks like Stroh has good shot at winning his next two. Cox really needed to win that last match. The guys are going to pick up some wins but its going to be real hard for any of them to make it to the stand this year.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Friesth won 8-4 i think the score card was.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Woods got Barnes 4-3 in cons round 1
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

Woods v. Taylor Meeks will be a good match tomorrow morning. If Stroh gets through his next match, he'll probably get Kenny Courts of Ohio St. A lot of exciting matchups tomorrow, hopefully they're pissed off and tear through the wrestle backs.
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Tyler was eliminated in a 11-7 decision this morning. :(
ImageImageImageImage