Conference titles...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
American Horse
Ranch Hand

With all the drama and bad news going on with Wyo athletics right now I thought some of you might be interested in some GOOD news. These guys aren't worried about who's hurt, who's been suspended etc. they are just out winning conference titles!
http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-wrestl/sp ... 14aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

The really neat thing about this team is that there is only 1 senior. Branch is doing a great job with his program.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

hallejullah something's working, somewhere...lol
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Give Branch a raise. He has developed one of the premiere wrestling programs in the west. Congratulations to him and the entire team on yet another job well done!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Swimming team only 7 points out of first place at the conference swim meet. Come on fellas!!!

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/c-swim/reca ... 14aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Neato.

Wrestling. What are there - 80 teams total nationally that wrestle at the D1 level? So we are sometimes in the top 25% and sometimes not. It doesn't compare to the revenue sports (as we all know).

Yet, that being said. Is it wrestling that is keeping Tom Burman and his lack of vision and mediocrity around at UW? Because last I checked, UW hasn't done jack poop at anything that means anything since he took the helm.

Let's just cover our eyes and wait this one out a little longer I guess. Oh, and root on the wrestling team and DIII club sports. poop.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

McPeachy wrote:Neato.

Wrestling. What are there - 80 teams total nationally that wrestle at the D1 level? So we are sometimes in the top 25% and sometimes not. It doesn't compare to the revenue sports (as we all know).

Yet, that being said. Is it wrestling that is keeping Tom Burman and his lack of vision and mediocrity around at UW? Because last I checked, UW hasn't done jack poop at anything that means anything since he took the helm.

Let's just cover our eyes and wait this one out a little longer I guess. Oh, and root on the wrestling team and DIII club sports. poop.
Well at least the school is good at something! At this point, I'll take it.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Tom deserves a failing grade. But, I think he made two really good hires in Shyatt and Bohl. Anyone with 20/20 vision can see the improvement in the basketball program aside from a couple set backs. Bohl is the home run hire we all hope turns out to be the home run hire.

If one of these guys fails, then it has to be time for him to go. But, I think he finally made some good hires...in addition to Branch.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:Tom deserves a failing grade. But, I think he made two really good hires in Shyatt and Bohl. Anyone with 20/20 vision can see the improvement in the basketball program aside from a couple set backs. Bohl is the home run hire we all hope turns out to be the home run hire.

If one of these guys fails, then it has to be time for him to go. But, I think he finally made some good hires...in addition to Branch.
I hear you, and agree that Shyatt is a good hire. I hope that Bohl is as well.

For the amount of chances Burman has had - it is just criminal.

Burman:
1. Fired Glenn
2. Hired DC
3. Fired DC
4. Hired Bohl

1. Fired Bucky
2. Hired Heath
3. Fired Heath
4. Hired Shyatt (not really though - the committee hired Shyatt).
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Branch needs a raise. This team is terrific. And doesn't wrestling at UW generate revenue?
ImageImageImageImage
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I agree, Branch does deserve a raise. Not going to get into the Burman thing but he hit a home run when he hired Branch. I have not seen the books but doubt that wrestling at Wyo. is a revenue producing sport although it could get there. In fact, outside of a very few schools, (Oklahoma State, Iowa, Penn State etc.) it isn't. Although it may not produce revenue, wrestling is the one sport at UW that is consistently good. Although some geniuses may think it's easy to consistently be in the top 25%, it's not. When was the last time our football or basketball team did that? I would love to see it happen and hopefully it will in the future but it's not happening NOW. To think that football and basketball are the only sports that matter is simply asinine.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

American Horse wrote:To think that football and basketball are the only sports that matter is simply asinine.
In many capacities football and (men's) basketball are the only sports that matter.

To think otherwise is simply a product of being uninformed, uneducated, or unwilling to see things how they really are.
Dear Karma,

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:
American Horse wrote:To think that football and basketball are the only sports that matter is simply asinine.
In many capacities football and (men's) basketball are the only sports that matter.

To think otherwise is simply a product of being uninformed, uneducated, or unwilling to see things how they really are.
Depending on the school, other sports do matter. Hell, wrestling here at UW actually does matter.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Depending on the school, other sports do matter. Hell, wrestling here at UW actually does matter.
You seem to be missing the point. Hense my wording "in many capacities".

Those capacities are mostly financial. Without football and (men's) basketball, wrestling doesn't exist at Wyoming. Then again, neither would golf, tennis, track, swimming, women's basketball, volleyball, and all other non revenue sports.

So, again, in many capacities, the only sports that DO matter are football and (men's) basketball.

I appreciate the love some have here for wrestling, and how they defend it, but let's be real.
Dear Karma,

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote: Let's just cover our eyes and wait this one out a little longer I guess. Oh, and root on the wrestling team and DIII club sports. poop.
Huh? Exaggerating to make a point or are you inferring something there?
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Well, wrestling isn't a revenue sport. Mcpeach is correct that the only two sports that matter from a financial aspect are football and men's bball. A top ten attendance in wrestling would be only 1500 fans per duel, that number is even dwarfed by women's bball.
http://m.cyclones.com/mobile/ViewArticl ... M_ID=10700
Triple-WY
Buckaroo

There are 85 Division I programs with various teams from the PAC-12, Big 10, ACC, MAC, and Big 12 (and Service Academies) being primary participants. What is more impressive is UW's recent performance against such teams to include wins over:
Boise State (multiple)
Oregon State
Oklahoma (multiple)
Virginia
West Virginia
North Carolina State (multiple)
Stanford (multiple)
Nebraska
Duke
And I don't think the Zoomies have beat the Pokes in a good six years.

Every one these victories has occurred since the football team last had a victory over a BCS opponent and since the b-ball team has played in the NCAA, NIT, or had a winning conference record. Yeah, I will root for this.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I guess I judge athletics differently than some others on here. I believe that there is more to amateur and college athletics than just if they bring in money. If that is the only criteria that you use to judge if a sport "matters" than McPeachy is correct. The point I was trying to make in my original post is this; Branch and Co. Are building a nationally recognized program right there in Laramie. They consistently win conference titles and develop AAs. These teams don't worry about one persons injury ruining a season and there is very little drama. There are several instate athletes on this team and it is a program that the university and state can get behind. If none of this "matters" to you because wrestling is not a revenue generating sport than we can just agree to disagree.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Is it just me that noticed that we are 6-6 overall? That is premiere? 4-1 in our conf?

You know if we went 6-6 in football but was 6-2 in conference and won the league they would not call it a great team, but rather a weak conference. So which is it?
Triple-WY
Buckaroo

kansasCowboy wrote:Is it just me that noticed that we are 6-6 overall? That is premiere? 4-1 in our conf?

You know if we went 6-6 in football but was 6-2 in conference and won the league they would not call it a great team, but rather a weak conference. So which is it?
No, you are not the only one to notice. NDSU was the only top twenty team in the conference this year. Wyoming definitely needs to wrestle in the Big 12. I noticed Northern Iowa (a recent conference foe of UW and one that UW regularly beat) recently transferred to the MAC (better competition) and is now ranked number 5 in the country.

However, over the recent years UW has defeated multiple top twenty opponents and a couple of top 10 opponents.
This year, keep in mind five of Wyoming's losses came to the #1, #4, #8,#9, and #18 teams in the country while two of their wins were against top twenty opponents (NDSU and Boise State). The OOC competition Branch schedules is the absolute best in the nation year in and year out with the expectation that UW will move from perianal top 25 to an elite program. Very, very different level of competition than the football team faces. Make no mistake, UW has a very good program on a national level, but has a ways to go to become elite. It is okay to be proud of the team and program.