The Problem With College Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

For you wrestling fans, an interesting article.
http://hawkcentral.com/2014/02/12/andy- ... wrestling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Interesting article. I agree that changes should be made to increase offense.

If I were making desicions, I would start with getting rid of riding time as a scoring criteria. The top position has become more of keeping your opponent down than seeking a pin. Instead, I would propose a mandatory return to neutral after something like 30 seconds without any near fall turns. This would encourage bottom to work if they want to get that escape point and would encourage top to get a turn if they don't want to return to neutral.

Stalling is still such a subjective call. Although, I would like to see stalls called more frequently...NOT JUST NEAR THE END OF THE MATCH! There is a lot of stalling in the first period that is never called.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Wrestling: 2 dudes ball and ass grabbin' in their PJ's. May as well be golf. :whistle: :rofl:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
AlphaPoke
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:Wrestling: 2 dudes ball and ass grabbin' in their PJ's. May as well be golf. :whistle: :rofl:
You should immediately walk into the wrestling room & tell that to the wrestlers in person. My money is on the 125 pounder.
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

AlphaPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Wrestling: 2 dudes ball and ass grabbin' in their PJ's. May as well be golf. :whistle: :rofl:
You should immediately walk into the wrestling room & tell that to the wrestlers in person. My money is on the 125 pounder.
Really? I doubt he'd make it past the 115 pounders at LHS.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
Wrestling: 2 dudes ball and ass grabbin' in their PJ's. May as well be golf.

Step into that wrestling room and tell the boys that. Better yet, tell it to Coach Branch or Coach Pendleton. See how fast your lungs get ripped out and they are stuffing them down your throat. Wrestling is one of the most physically and mentally demanding sports in existence. A minimum of rules, equipment or pads. No one to blame things on or pass the ball to when in trouble. Ask anyone that has played football and wrestled which is tougher and the answer is always wrestling. Send our b-ball team to a wrestling practice and see how long it is before they are completely exhausted. Then switch that around ....the wrestlers will think they are at recess! I would never put down any of UWs sports or athletes. I will celebrate their wins, agonize in their defeats and be proud of their work and sacrifice. Now we all know that talk is cheap so McPeachy you make sure to get into that wrestling room and voice your opinions loud and clear, it will be nice not to have to read your posts anymore!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

My problem with college wrestling is its boring and I don't care.
Now if they make it like WWE and TNA I am in :thumb:
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Aaron wrote:My problem with college wrestling is its boring and I don't care.
Watch a Ben Stroh match as he gets after a pin. I don't think you will find that boring.

Many/most of the guys in WWE and TNA were actually amateur wrestlers. While a lot does not translate between real wrestling and WWE...what does translate is hard work and athleticism. I appreciate TNA and WWE for what it is. I actually only went into wrestling as a kid because of WWF back then :lol:
American Horse
Ranch Hand

That is the problem and link this post was originally addressing (until McPeachy farted out his mouth.). Many times in a wrestling match a lot is going on but if you are unfamiliar with the sport it may not look like it. I also agree that stalling is much to subjective and almost never called until late in a match. I would like to see some type of reward given for the wrestler pushing the action no matter what position they are in. I think that would help things from a spectators point.
Wrestling will never be as popular from a spectators viewpoint as the major team sports. At a wrestling trny. you may have to sit a few hrs. to see who you want to watch and then sit for a few more before their next match. In a team sport tournament you can see everyone you want at once and at a posted time. That having been said there are many of us that love everything about it but it does need to become more viewer friendly.
I must add that I also get a certain amount of "guilty pleasure" watching pro-wrestling! It's the greatest soap opera on earth!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

AlphaPoke wrote:
Jeez...I was just joking! :roll:
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
AlphaPoke wrote:
Really? I doubt he'd make it past the 115 pounders at LHS.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

American Horse wrote:McPeachy wrote:
Wrestling: 2 dudes ball and ass grabbin' in their PJ's. May as well be golf.

Step into that wrestling room and tell the boys that. Better yet, tell it to Coach Branch or Coach Pendleton. See how fast your lungs get ripped out and they are stuffing them down your throat. Wrestling is one of the most physically and mentally demanding sports in existence. A minimum of rules, equipment or pads. No one to blame things on or pass the ball to when in trouble. Ask anyone that has played football and wrestled which is tougher and the answer is always wrestling. Send our b-ball team to a wrestling practice and see how long it is before they are completely exhausted. Then switch that around ....the wrestlers will think they are at recess! I would never put down any of UWs sports or athletes. I will celebrate their wins, agonize in their defeats and be proud of their work and sacrifice. Now we all know that talk is cheap so McPeachy you make sure to get into that wrestling room and voice your opinions loud and clear, it will be nice not to have to read your posts anymore!
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

American Horse wrote:
That is the problem and link this post was originally addressing (until McPeachy farted out his mouth.). Many times in a wrestling match a lot is going on but if you are unfamiliar with the sport it may not look like it. I also agree that stalling is much to subjective and almost never called until late in a match. I would like to see some type of reward given for the wrestler pushing the action no matter what position they are in. I think that would help things from a spectators point.
Wrestling will never be as popular from a spectators viewpoint as the major team sports. At a wrestling trny. you may have to sit a few hrs. to see who you want to watch and then sit for a few more before their next match. In a team sport tournament you can see everyone you want at once and at a posted time. That having been said there are many of us that love everything about it but it does need to become more viewer friendly.
I must add that I also get a certain amount of "guilty pleasure" watching pro-wrestling! It's the greatest soap opera on earth!
Dear Karma,

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Jeez, McPeachy...what are you trying to say? That you were joking? LOL
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I like watchin' 'rasslin'. And I can tell many 'rasslers are really excited about it as well.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:Jeez, McPeachy...what are you trying to say? That you were joking? LOL
Well hell...

Like I called somebody's mother a dirty slut or something.

The challenges for me to go into the wrestling room were hilarious though - that made me laugh! :lol:
Dear Karma,