Fire Tom Burman

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Our AD is not getting the job done for UW. He recruited and hired Heath Schroyer and Dave Christensen. Despite their mediocrity, he resigned both to lucrative extensions.
His lack of vision and active leadership also abetted the destruction of the MWC.
UW athletics has languished under his leadership. Its time to find someone whose ambition for the University matches that of UWs supporters.

I am sorry to say that it really cannot get much worse for UW, and under his leadership-it will not get better.

Its time to make changes in UW athletics, and start and the top.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoAlum1987 wrote:Our AD is not getting the job done for UW. He recruited and hired Heath Schroyer and Dave Christensen. Despite their mediocrity, he resigned both to lucrative extensions.
His lack of vision and active leadership also abetted the destruction of the MWC.
UW athletics has languished under his leadership. Its time to find someone whose ambition for the University matches that of UWs supporters.

I am sorry to say that it really cannot get much worse for UW, and under his leadership-it will not get better.

Welcome back WyomingFishing
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
wyoming fishing
Buckaroo

WyoAlum1987, glad to hear someone with a brain, glad you are not in Tom burman fan club. There has to be a job performance by the AD, not just the coach, if he get's all the credit, when it's going well, he has to take the blame when it's not going well. I guess I will wait untill march to see what sports finish with a winning season in mountain west play. Wyoming can do better. Poor leadership by tom burman, WyoAlum1987 wan't a change, just like me. It can get better for Wyoming only if Tom the puppet burman is gone.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

lol..

Don't know who that is, but I assume its someone who shares my opinion of the changes needed in UWyo athletics?

OH-Hi wyoming fishing!

I know its hard for people to contemplate changes of leadership, and I truly do regret having to continually say this....but without changes in leadership at the very top, we will not see the substantive changes in our athletic programs that we will need in order to compete.

You are right wyomingfishing. It is a performance issue. Not a personal issue. Responsibility for your efforts.
gbpoke
Cowpoke

I know it's been said on here before, but last time I checked Burman wasn't the one calling the plays, making adjustments and half-time running practices and installing gameplans throughout the week. He's not the one making tackles, passes, catches, blocks, etc. If I'm not mistaken the athletic program as a whole has improved under his leadership. So both of you go somewhere else and spew your crap.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Yes he brought in Schroyer (bad) but corrected with Larry Shyatt (great)...also before we kicked off a ball this season I don't recall anyone questioning Christensen or the overall direction of the program - particularly after last season.

The questions about DC are valid enough -- but to put the blame for this awful season of football on Burman might be reaching a bit too far.
wyoming fishing
Buckaroo

gbpoke is a 1-5 record in mountain west play for volleyball, part of the improved programs under burman. I don't care that he does not play, who do you think hired all those coaches ? Tell me why athletics directors at other schools have be fired when programs are bad under there watch? Go head and wait for tom burman to turn the athletic programs around, that will be the same day schoyer goes in Wyoming hall fame
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

wyoming fishing wrote:gbpoke is a 1-5 record in mountain west play for volleyball, part of the improved programs under burman. I don't care that he does not play, who do you think hired all those coaches ? Tell me why athletics directors at other schools have be fired when programs are bad under there watch? Go head and wait for tom burman to turn the athletic programs around, that will be the same day schoyer goes in Wyoming hall fame
We actually have a volleyball team?
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
WyoAlum1987 wrote:Our AD is not getting the job done for UW. He recruited and hired Heath Schroyer and Dave Christensen. Despite their mediocrity, he resigned both to lucrative extensions.

Welcome back WyomingFishing
No, this guy actually backed himself up a wee bit. Way beyond WyoFishings' ability.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
American Horse
Ranch Hand

Not really sure if Burman is a good AD or not. He made a bad hire but corrected it with Shyatt. He hired Mark Branch who is as fine a wrestling coach as could possibly have been found. He has resurrected the wrestling program to a perennial Top 20 program, so that is definitely in his favor. One thing he has got to quit doing is giving coaches extensions and then firing them before their contracts are up. Paying ppl. big money not to work is crazy.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Zero MWC championships during his tenure. Fired the only UW coach to win a MWC championship. Hired the worst coach in UW bball history. Gave that coach an extension.

Yep Burman is doing a pretty good job I guess.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote:Zero MWC championships during his tenure. Fired the only UW coach to win a MWC championship. Hired the worst coach in UW bball history. Gave that coach an extension.

Yeah, that "only coach to win MWC titles" road Shyatt's recruits to that. After they graduated, he just couldn't keep the ball rolling.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
marcuswyo wrote:Zero MWC championships during his tenure. Fired the only UW coach to win a MWC championship. Hired the worst coach in UW bball history. Gave that coach an extension.

Yeah, that "only coach to win MWC titles" road Shyatt's recruits to that. After they graduated, he just couldn't keep the ball rolling.
Rode Shyatts recruits?
Bull.
Marcus Bailey was the heart and soul, and was not a Shyatt recruit. He was a McClain recruit.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Rode Shyatts recruits?
Bull.
Marcus Bailey was the heart and soul, and was not a Shyatt recruit. He was a McClain recruit.
He was a McClain walk on.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Rode Shyatts recruits?
Bull.
Which isn't a Shyatt recruit. And like BP said, he just about was that team
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Rode Shyatts recruits?
Bull.
He was not a walk on.
I've talked to Marcus Bailey about this exact topic.
He was offered by McClain and was not a walk on.

McClain was feeling pressure from fans throughout the state about signing a local kid, and so he offered Bailey.
Bailey was not McClains main recruit by any means, but he still didn't have to offer him. He was 100% offered by McClain and never walked on.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Rode Shyatts recruits?
Bull.
He was not a walk on.
I've talked to Marcus Bailey about this exact topic.
He was offered by McClain and was not a walk on.

McClain was feeling pressure from fans throughout the state about signing a local kid, and so he offered Bailey.
Bailey was not McClains main recruit by any means, but he still didn't have to offer him. He was 100% offered by McClain and never walked on.
Regardless, our championship teams consisted of a lot of Shyatt recruits. Josh Davis, Brett McFall, Chris McMillan and Ugo Udezua, who helped bring in his cousin as a McClain recruit in Uche Amadi.
When we were good under McClain, we had a lot of Shyatt recruits contributing.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Burman needs to exit stage left.
He's marginal at best, and that is exactly the issue at hand...mediocre is no longer acceptable.
I'm not sure what was in the works beyond what is reported by the BoT, and the press in terms of the Sternberg departure.
What matter is a top flight guy in the Leadership role of Wyoming Athletics, and also that guy or gal should be hand selected by the President whomever that individual is to be. Vetting, and public support should be outlined prior to that selection.

Life in the fishbowl that is the UW, needs due diligence by the supporting communities that are the University of Wyoming.
We need to let the BoT and the esteemed Gov, know this. I'm honestly perplexed how Burman is still in control of THE revenue producing (?) sport(s) at Wyo. Bostrum has indicated "full support" for Burman who has the keys to the Yugo, and that in and of itself is the problem. What to do, clean house and let Easton have his mock trial to determine the Ethics of the matter in Kangaroo Court. This thing is unbelievable. I'll hold my tongue now and see what happens. In the meantime I'm sending emails to those involved in whats left in the process of staffing our ball club.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

Just stop complaining about Burman already. Every time we have a bad game it is the Fire Burman Brigade!

Has he been the best no but has he been terrible no!

This hire will determine a lot. We all know if the next football coach isn't successful and if Shyatt isn't over the next few years then you will all get what you want and Burman will be gone. If the new football coach does well and Shyatt does too which I think he will then will you give Burman some credit or still want him fired?
YankPoke
Cowpoke

thirtyseven wrote:Just stop complaining about Burman already. Every time we have a bad game it is the Fire Burman Brigade!

Has he been the best no but has he been terrible no!

This hire will determine a lot. We all know if the next football coach isn't successful and if Shyatt isn't over the next few years then you will all get what you want and Burman will be gone. If the new football coach does well and Shyatt does too which I think he will then will you give Burman some credit or still want him fired?
+1 he isn't a great AD, but there sure are worse. He also has one of the toughest jobs in the nation. He has made one terrible hire, one hire that looked fantastic, but didn't pan out in the end, and he lost a coach to a bigger school. He has at least done a good job upgrading the facilities, with the next being the AA. This football hire is huge for him, if he gets it right it will save his job, if not we could be looking for a new AD in four to five years.