Am I the only one that remembers Utah football pre-Urban....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It's not like that team was a juggernaut. They were conference choke artists that rarely won a league title or finished in the top half of the league. In fact, before the U.S. olympic committee built them a new stadium they were a joke in the Wac. They still have a 25 million dollar budget.

How the hell is Utah going to compete with Pac schools when they open up SLC recruiting to USC and UCLA? How are they going to compete with the lowest budget in the league? They are used to being a big fish in a small pond. What are they going to do as a guppie in the Pacific ocean? How are they going to accept not having a voice in league decisions? How are the mostly mormon boosters going to feel about being in a league with schools that support gay marriage and are as liberal as they come?

I sure as hell hope they leave. Their arrogance needs a reality check. If they go to the Pac 10 their coach will be the lowest paid in the league. It's a recipe for disaster. One bad season for Utah and the wheels come off. They'll make Washington State look like a power house.

So Utah. Get gone. It will be fun to watch the train wreck.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

You make some good points Cowboy Junky. Utah isn't that far removed from some pretty mediocre years. And its not as if they have dominated the MWC either. Relative to Wyoming yes, they have dominated us, but not the league in general.

Its tricky to make the argument that they won't compete in the Pac-10, because then you are essentially validating the entire system of the BCS, but I agree they would have their struggles and I don't see them winning Pac-10 titles anytime soon.

The most interesting point is how they would react to no longer being the heart of the league, like they have been with the gang of 5 in the MWC. They would be outsiders and have very little clout or say in that league.

But lets not talk like this is a done deal. I still say this isn't happening anytime soon. The Pac-10 is merely considering it. Its not a done deal that some are making it out to be.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:It's not like that team was a juggernaut. They were conference choke artists that rarely won a league title or finished in the top half of the league. In fact, before the U.S. olympic committee built them a new stadium they were a joke in the Wac. They still have a 25 million dollar budget.

How the hell is Utah going to compete with Pac schools when they open up SLC recruiting to USC and UCLA? How are they going to compete with the lowest budget in the league? They are used to being a big fish in a small pond. What are they going to do as a guppie in the Pacific ocean? How are they going to accept not having a voice in league decisions? How are the mostly mormon boosters going to feel about being in a league with schools that support gay marriage and are as liberal as they come?

I sure as hell hope they leave. Their arrogance needs a reality check. If they go to the Pac 10 their coach will be the lowest paid in the league. It's a recipe for disaster. One bad season for Utah and the wheels come off. They'll make Washington State look like a power house.

So Utah. Get gone. It will be fun to watch the train wreck.
They'll be just like ASU and UofA, if they are lucky. ;)
7220Fan
Ranch Hand

I have a quick question that I hope someone can explain... Why does the PAC-10 want a championship game in the first place? They already have a BCS automatic birth anyway, so why? If you really look at it, when the SEC had its champioship game, it actually costs the conference the chance to have Florida and Alabama in the natl championship game, right? I mean if the SEC didn't have a championship game, #1 and #2 would have played and that was Florida and Alabama and that would have been more money right? What am I missing?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

7220Fan wrote:I have a quick question that I hope someone can explain... Why does the PAC-10 want a championship game in the first place? They already have a BCS automatic birth anyway, so why? If you really look at it, when the SEC had its champioship game, it actually costs the conference the chance to have Florida and Alabama in the natl championship game, right? I mean if the SEC didn't have a championship game, #1 and #2 would have played and that was Florida and Alabama and that would have been more money right? What am I missing?
To generate more money for the conference. Conference Championship games allow you to have a bigger TV contract.

Although if you look at the ACC their title game has been a flop and I think a Pac-12 title game would be an equally large flop.

think about it. Obviously the title game will have to be in LA. No real other destinations in the Pac and they aren't rotating it between Corvalis, Oregon, Tucson, AZ etc. etc. Those aren't real destinations. So the title game is in LA. Except who is going to travel to LA to watch a Pac title game when if you win, you will simply be traveling back in one month to go to the Rose Bowl?
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

The whole Mormon thing is so off-based.

"How are the mostly mormon boosters going to feel about being in a league with schools that support gay marriage and are as liberal as they come?"

That is probably the dumbest comment I have ever heard. Football has NOTHING to do, and I repeat NOTHING to do with Prop 8 or the "liberal thing."

There are a lot of very wealthy MORMON wyoming donors. Just cause we don't drink alcohol, doesn't mean we don't support the school and conference. According to your logic, us Mormons who donate hundreds and thousands to UW Scholarships should now stop because the students sing the beer song or whatever? That is asinine my friend. Completely asinine. But...that is your logic in this discussion.

Utah's "Mormon" donors would donate even if they were in the most liberal city with the most liberal schools in the nation. Football is football. Per capita Arizona has as many Mormons as any state. Hmmmm, seems like to me ASU and AZ seem to do just fine. Once again, moot point.

Let's pretend you didn't make that comment and move on to another thread.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Nellie,
Not to speak for Junky, but I don't think he was attacking the Mormon religion, at least it didn't seem that way. He was asking a legitimate question relating to the cultural atmospheres that surround Utah/byu and their stark difference from that of PAC-10 institutions (Cal and Oregon especially). You point that this is not about football which is correct, but remember that by adding an institution you are getting more than just an athletic department. As the PAC-10 has already stated, they are looking for schools with similar educational and cultural backgrounds. While Utah may not be as conservative as byu, they are definately a far stretch from Cal. Remember, its a two way street, maybe Utah won't be offended by the views of these schools, but theres no saying that Cal, Stanford, Oregon, etc. won't be a little disgruntled.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:Nellie,
Not to speak for Junky, but I don't think he was attacking the Mormon religion, at least it didn't seem that way. He was asking a legitimate question relating to the cultural atmospheres that surround Utah/byu and their stark difference from that of PAC-10 institutions (Cal and Oregon especially). You point that this is not about football which is correct, but remember that by adding an institution you are getting more than just an athletic department. As the PAC-10 has already stated, they are looking for schools with similar educational and cultural backgrounds. While Utah may not be as conservative as byu, they are definately a far stretch from Cal. Remember, its a two way street, maybe Utah won't be offended by the views of these schools, but theres no saying that Cal, Stanford, Oregon, etc. won't be a little disgruntled.

Well spoken WestWyoPoke!
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote:Nellie,
I see your point, but I do not think Utah (which the thread is about) should be affected in any way by religion and donors. I never said he attacked religion, but to make assumptions that "donors from Utah" may not like the fact of Utah going to "liberal" country, and thus hurting the money situation, has no merit at all. That is what he said. He was questioning on whether or not Mormons would donate to a conf that is quote "liberal". My answer is, it would not matter. That is all.

Plus, my donations got to UW anyway, so what difference does it make.... ;)

Anyway, so to adress his initial post about Utah "pre-Urban", yes they were the whipping boys. I live in Utah and will be the FIRST to admit the heads of many of the fans are larger than Texas. It drives me crazy. As much as I like having Utah in the conf, I would kind of like to see them fail in the Pac 10. They have built a great program there, but they aren't afraid to tell you about it.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I agree with that thinking Nellie...if someone is going to donate to an athletic conference, they are doing so based on athletics, not the political tones of the institutions involved, that does make sense.

As for the rest of your post, I too would like to see Utah and their fans eat some humble pie. I remember just a few years ago when Utah came to Laramie and the boys beat them soundly. Athletics come in waves, and while Wyo looks to be on the way up, Utah will someday go back down.

BTW, as for the Wyo donations, I'd expect nothing less, keep it up...Go Pokes!