Transfers...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:51 pm Wyoming will be lucky to put any players into the NFL in the near future. Hell, maybe there’s more parity in everyone but the top 20 programs. Less talent but more parity. Is that what we saw in the MWC this year?
I think that is exactly what we saw. Wyoming likely can challenge in most years because the conference is complete garbage ( I think that will continue to be the case). All the more frustrating as far as winning a conference championship as Bohl can put quality defenses on the field. Even a mediocre passing game makes us competitive in this conference and he can’t or won’t figure it out.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Read on another board that there are already 500 transfers in the portal. 500. Young men had better be certain and careful before jumping. It’s no picnic out there.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Omotosho Already has offers from Oregon State and WVU, hopefully Bohl is getting in there and making some offers. Get a transfer and they can’t transfer again is that right?
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Number of players in the NFL from:
Oregon State: 12
West Virginia: 15
Wyoming: 10

Now more than ever a move to a p5 does not equate to a greater opportunity to get to the NFL.

Going back to last year, I think Neyor will be buried at Texas this year. He won't play.
Cobbs is good, not great. Not sure a p5 is going to be in the cards.
Swen will land somewhere bigger but will not have the same impact he did here.
I love Cam's heart, but his will be a lateral move
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:20 pm Omotosho Already has offers from Oregon State and WVU, hopefully Bohl is getting in there and making some offers. Get a transfer and they can’t transfer again is that right?
Yes and no. They get 1 free transfer. After that, if they want to transfer again they have to follow the old rules: either transfer down a division or sit out a year if they transfer to another FBS school.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

djm19 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 pm Number of players in the NFL from:

Now more than ever a move to a p5 does not equate to a greater opportunity to get to the NFL.

Going back to last year, I think Neyor will be buried at Texas this year. He won't play.
All very true, BUT they will all likely get more NIL money at a power 5 school.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

This is the new norm. A lot of teams have players transferring. Bohl just has to adjust to recruiting players from high school and the portal.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:53 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:20 pm Omotosho Already has offers from Oregon State and WVU, hopefully Bohl is getting in there and making some offers. Get a transfer and they can’t transfer again is that right?
Yes and no. They get 1 free transfer. After that, if they want to transfer again they have to follow the old rules: either transfer down a division or sit out a year if they transfer to another FBS school.
They’ve had a separation between P5 and G5 for quite sometime even if it isnt official. They should allow penalty free transfers to G5 from P5 even after the free one.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:00 am This is the new norm. A lot of teams have players transferring. Bohl just has to adjust to recruiting players from high school and the portal.
I look at other teams players in the portal and they typically have more backups transferring. For the past 2 years, virtually all of our transfers have been starters.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:32 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:53 pm

They’ve had a separation between P5 and G5 for quite sometime even if it isnt official. They should allow penalty free transfers to G5 from P5 even after the free one.
If a guy is transferring multiple times, do we really want that headache?
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

This is what we have to deal with, no one likes it but we have to move on. I had to look for some stats on the transfer portal, not a guarantee by any stretch. 2021 numbers, sure they are different depending on what site you pull up..
54% enrolled in a new school.
41% did not find a school to call home, we’re still looking.

59% of scholarship transfers received a scholarship at a new FBS school.
8%. Left the scholarship and became a Walk on.
33% remained without a destination.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:13 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:32 am

If a guy is transferring multiple times, do we really want that headache?
If a guy left a G5 team to a P5 and it didn't work out, I'd 100% want that guy. The reasons guys transfer are a lot different now. If they leave a g5 for a p5, they're not transferring because they are a bad apple.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

BeachPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 am This is what we have to deal with, no one likes it but we have to move on. I had to look for some stats on the transfer portal, not a guarantee by any stretch. 2021 numbers, sure they are different depending on what site you pull up..

I'm pretty sure every single Wyoming football portal player found a landing spot last year with many of them going to P5s (2 went to FCS and both of those moves made sense). Based on who has announced so far this year, I think all of those guys so far find a FBS landing spot too.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:46 am
BeachPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 am This is what we have to deal with, no one likes it but we have to move on. I had to look for some stats on the transfer portal, not a guarantee by any stretch. 2021 numbers, sure they are different depending on what site you pull up..

I'm pretty sure every single Wyoming football portal player found a landing spot last year with many of them going to P5s (2 went to FCS and both of those moves made sense). Based on who has announced so far this year, I think all of those guys so far find a FBS landing spot too.
IMO we are not going to replace the talent that left through the portal, though we may come close (ultimately don't think we will find an impact player like Omothosho). BUT we may have talent just as good on the bench ready to step in. I wouldn't doubt it with how Bohl recruits and develops players..... on defense, at least.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:57 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:46 am

IMO we are not going to replace the talent that left through the portal, though we may come close (ultimately don't think we will find an impact player like Omothosho). BUT we may have talent just as good on the bench ready to step in. I wouldn't doubt it with how Bohl recruits and develops players..... on defense, at least.
I don't disagree Lander. I still think that WR recruiting and our WR coach are huge weak links. Sure, they found Neyor, but we need a talent upgrade, a coaching upgrade, and a scheme upgrade in the passing game if we are going to sniff a championship. I'd say the same also goes for QB. I am a simpleton in the world of football coaching and recruiting, but I wonder if Polasek is really a top drawer QB coach - or even serviceable. Watching our QBs this year and last, I would say he is not.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:59 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:57 am
I don't disagree Lander. I still think that WR recruiting and our WR coach are huge weak links. Sure, they found Neyor, but we need a talent upgrade, a coaching upgrade, and a scheme upgrade in the passing game if we are going to sniff a championship. I'd say the same also goes for QB. I am a simpleton in the world of football coaching and recruiting, but I wonder if Polasek is really a top drawer QB coach - or even serviceable. Watching our QBs this year and last, I would say he is not.
Oh yeah, the offense is beyond repair and I have no illusions that any of that will change. 6 wins on the back of a good running game and stout defense, rinse, repeat. I see that as entirely possible even with the transfers that have occurred.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Just a small update - 1,000 players+ have entered the porthole.

131 FBS Teams. 85 Schollie Limit. 11,135 TOTAL schollie roster spots in all of FBS.

65 P5 FBS Teams. 85 Schollie Limit. 5,525 TOTAL schollie spots in all of P5 FBS.

You'd better be really sure about your talent or really unhappy where you are to roll those dice. Not all want to go P5. Not all are leaving to go up in level. But a lot are.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 pm Number of players in the NFL from:

You're looking at statistics based largely on the pre-NIL and pre-transfer portal days. G5 schools will have a LOT less NFL players going forward because the NFL talent will largely transfer.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

The MW will forever be weak now. A team could win 9 games and then 1 the next year because of transfers. Hit on bringing in portal players and you could win the conference. I think we're in for wild seasons.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:00 pm The MW will forever be weak now. A team could win 9 games and then 1 the next year because of transfers. Hit on bringing in portal players and you could win the conference. I think we're in for wild seasons.
Utah State is a good example of that. They are completely reliant on transfers and are all over the place the past 3 years.