Vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Heard a rumor from the Gem City. Bohl retires and we’re going after Vigen. Unsubstantiated, but from valid source in Laramie…
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Smh
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think that is the long term plan. That Vigen is brought back after Bohl retires... but I wouldn't expect that happening for another year or two.
I'm good for 3!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Because FCS hires have worked so well? JFC, hire an FBS head coach with a competitive track record on an upward trajectory.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:44 pm Because FCS hires have worked so well? JFC, hire an FBS head coach with a competitive track record on an upward trajectory.
My sense is that a upwardly mobile FBS coach with a good track record will be tough to land....I don't disagree that it wouldn't be better than an FCS guy.... Just would imagine that guy having better options. Anyways... It's all academic point since Bohl will be here until he doesn't want to at this point.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:44 pm Because FCS hires have worked so well? JFC, hire an FBS head coach with a competitive track record on an upward trajectory.
Like New Mexico State's HC. They just slaughtered Liberty 49-14 on the road and the Aggies were a 24 point underdog.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:20 pm
My sense is that a upwardly mobile FBS coach with a good track record will be tough to land....I don't disagree that it wouldn't be better than an FCS guy.... Just would imagine that guy having better options. Anyways... It's all academic point since Bohl will be here until he doesn't want to at this point.
Yep, don’t see a guy coming to WY if he can got to Colorado, or otherwise. I actually don’t think it’s FBS FCS. X’s and O’s are just that, it’s getting the right kids. I am pretty certain FBS FCS has nothing to do with Bohl running the offense we see. IMHO….. I might be ok with Vigen…..
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyokie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:21 pm
Like New Mexico State's HC. They just slaughtered Liberty 49-14 on the road and the Aggies were a 24 point underdog.
Jerry Kill was a once a million hire for NMSU. He didn't even sign a contract and is only working under agreement with them. Had he not had health issues he would still be leading a P5 program.
I'm good for 3!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Vigen has shown the willingness and ability to hire an OC who runs a modern offense...and more importantly, let him do his own thing. He's also shown that he can be handed the reigns to a program in decent shape and build upon it. I honestly don't really want to bring him back if we have other options, but it wouldn't necessarily be a terrible hire provided he's not calling plays and he's not coaching the QBs.

I'd much rather offer Jay Hill, Marcus Arroyo, or Scottie Hazelton a boatload of money and see what happens. But I've slowly warmed up to the idea of Vigen (again, under the aforementioned conditions).

Edit: Another downside to Vigen is that I'm not exactly sure he has the defensive mind that Bohl (or Bohl's defensive disciples) have. But again, he's shown the willingness to employ staff that know what they're doing, so idk.
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

johnywyo wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:40 pm Heard a rumor from the Gem City. Bohl retires and we’re going after Vigen. Unsubstantiated, but from valid source in Laramie…
If this is the case Burman best be packin his bags and leave town too
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:50 pm Vigen has shown the willingness and ability to hire an OC who runs a modern offense...and more importantly, let him do his own thing. He's also shown that he can be handed the reigns to a program in decent shape and build upon it. I honestly don't really want to bring him back if we have other options, but it wouldn't necessarily be a terrible hire provided he's not calling plays and he's not coaching the QBs.

I'd much rather offer Jay Hill, Marcus Arroyo, or Scottie Hazelton a boatload of money and see what happens. But I've slowly warmed up to the idea of Vigen (again, under the aforementioned conditions).

Edit: Another downside to Vigen is that I'm not exactly sure he has the defensive mind that Bohl (or Bohl's defensive disciples) have. But again, he's shown the willingness to employ staff that know what they're doing, so idk.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Why not?

He's an offensive mind that is decent at developing QBs. He's familiar with the town, the state, and the program, was instrumental in recruiting and developing Brett Smith, ran some pretty fun offenses in his couple of years here, and got us to a bowl game/win. I don't think you can lay Dave Christensen's shortcomings at Arroyo's feet....especially when he [Arroyo] went on to be a part of some pretty explosive offenses at Oregon (in spite of yet another poop head coach in Christobal).

He was put in an astoundingly tough situation at UNLV, a program that has had ONE 7-win season in 21 years and three winning seasons in the last THIRTY YEARS. If you actually pay attention to UNLV football and the nuances of some of their games/schedules, he's made massive strides the last couple of years with that program. He went into a FAR worse situation at UNLV than even Bohl came into at Wyoming.

He's got experience getting the most out of his QBs and offenses in spite of being hamstrung by poop head coaches, and he's got experience turning around a program that was a massive dumpster fire for literal decades. He's also got experience at all levels of CFB and the NFL, and was a pretty good QB himself.

Is he the best option? Maybe not, but beggars can't be choosers and he's certainly top 5...especially considering what we can afford and who's willing to come here.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:06 am Why not?

He's an offensive mind that is decent at developing QBs. He's familiar with the town, the state, and the program, was instrumental in recruiting and developing Brett Smith, ran some pretty fun offenses in his couple of years here, and got us to a bowl game/win. I don't think you can lay Dave Christensen's shortcomings at Arroyo's feet....especially when he [Arroyo] went on to be a part of some pretty explosive offenses at Oregon (in spite of yet another sh#t[#] head coach in Christobal).

He was put in an astoundingly tough situation at UNLV, a program that has had ONE 7-win season in 21 years and three winning seasons in the last THIRTY YEARS. If you actually pay attention to UNLV football and the nuances of some of their games/schedules, he's made massive strides the last couple of years with that program. He went into a FAR worse situation at UNLV than even Bohl came into at Wyoming.

He's got experience getting the most out of his QBs and offenses in spite of being hamstrung by sh#t[#] head coaches, and he's got experience turning around a program that was a massive dumpster fire for literal decades. He's also got experience at all levels of CFB and the NFL, and was a pretty good QB himself.

Is he the best option? Maybe not, but beggars can't be choosers and he's certainly top 5...especially considering what we can afford and who's willing to come here.
I don’t know if this is satire or serious.

If you asked me to name the absolute worst coaching candidates, Arroyo would be near the top of the list. How he has kept falling upwards in his career is baffling. UNLV will continue to suck.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

johnywyo wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:40 pm Heard a rumor from the Gem City. Bohl retires and we’re going after Vigen. Unsubstantiated, but from valid source in Laramie…
The Bohl era will 100% end when he decides to retire because Burman and UW athletics are happy winning 6 or 7 games and making some bottom tier MW bowl. I highly doubt that this is the offseason it happens. I'm guessing we are stuck with Bohl for better or worse another 2-3 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:44 pm ...hire an FBS head coach with a competitive track record on an upward trajectory.
I've asked before, got zero names. Which FBS head coach with a competitive track record and an upward trajectory, that currently makes significantly less $ than Bohl and/or would consider UW an upgrade are you thinking of hiring?

There are quite a few people around here who seem to think there's a huge pool of these types of people, I'm dying to see them!

Edit:
I did the research for you. Here are the only humans on earth who have a better career FBS record than Bohl and a better record this season than Bohl, who don't currently work for a Power 5 program and who make less $ than Bohl:

James Madison - Curt Cignetti (can't find salary, JMU has only been FBS for one year)
Troy - Jon Sumrall
App State - Shawn Clark
Coastal Carolina - Jamey Chadwell
South Alabama - Kane Wommack
Toledo - Jason Candle
Marshall - Charles Huff
Western Kentucky - Tyson Helton
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:39 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:44 pm ...hire an FBS head coach with a competitive track record on an upward trajectory.
I've asked before, got zero names. Which FBS head coach with a competitive track record and an upward trajectory, that currently makes significantly less $ than Bohl and/or would consider UW an upgrade are you thinking of hiring?

There are quite a few people around here who seem to think there's a huge pool of these types of people, I'm dying to see them!
I just want someone with proven D-1 experience. A retread, someone with baggage, an up and comer. This is a tough ask, though , so we may be resigned to FCS head coaches
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

💯
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Edit:
I did the research for you. Here are the only humans on earth who have a better career FBS record than Bohl and a better record this season than Bohl, who don't currently work for a Power 5 program and who make less $ than Bohl:

James Madison - Curt Cignetti (can't find salary, JMU has only been FBS for one year)
Troy - Jon Sumrall
App State - Shawn Clark
Coastal Carolina - Jamey Chadwell
South Alabama - Kane Wommack
Toledo - Jason Candle
Marshall - Charles Huff
Western Kentucky - Tyson Helton
I agree with you. We would all love Nick Saban but that isn’t happening.

None of those guys listed have any deep ties to Wyoming recruiting grounds as far as I know. Bringing in a guy with almost exclusive southeastern United States ties would be a big mistake.

I’m excited for the future of our program if we can keep from getting hammered by the portal. There is some talent here already.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:01 pm None of those guys listed have any deep ties to Wyoming
Correct, none of those guys have any ties whatsoever to Wyoming, or even the rocky mountain region as a whole. 2 had brief stints in California and are the closest they've been to us geographically. If for some reason, someone finds a connection and we catch their eye, great, but I'm giving that crazy low odds.

Our options:
- FCS
- Up and coming coordinator
- Failed former HC from larger school

That's just the way it is, Pokes.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

What about Jim McElwain?

If we have to go FCS my vote is for Hill from Weber State