Vigen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Feel free to call me crazy or whatever you feel, but I would take a long hard look at Chris Creighton. He has turned one of the absolute worst FBS programs into basically an annual bowl team. Facilities would be a massive upgrade as would fan attendance, interest, name, and we could offer a significant raise. I personally like what he's done with Eastern Michigan.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:24 am
I don’t know if this is satire or serious.

If you asked me to name the absolute worst coaching candidates, Arroyo would be near the top of the list. How he has kept falling upwards in his career is baffling. UNLV will continue to suck.
This response is like, the picture perfect example of most debates on this board.

Random person: Presents a full argument backed by actual facts, statistics, history, and knowledge of goings-on outside of Wyoming football...as well as an understanding of the bigger picture and some of the nuances of the situation.

Someone else, almost instantly: "Nuh uh, you're retarded" (that's it, that's the argument)

Meanwhile, you have people in this thread suggesting Jim f-word McElwain, lmao. But sure, I'm the retarded one.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

aranderson wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:49 pm Feel free to call me crazy or whatever you feel, but I would take a long hard look at Chris Creighton. He has turned one of the absolute worst FBS programs into basically an annual bowl team. Facilities would be a massive upgrade as would fan attendance, interest, name, and we could offer a significant raise. I personally like what he's done with Eastern Michigan.
Agree! Would be a good one
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

aranderson wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:49 pm Feel free to call me crazy or whatever you feel, but I would take a long hard look at Chris Creighton. He has turned one of the absolute worst FBS programs into basically an annual bowl team. Facilities would be a massive upgrade as would fan attendance, interest, name, and we could offer a significant raise. I personally like what he's done with Eastern Michigan.
I don't think you're crazy, but I am curious why 6-7 wins per year and an annual bowl game (3-1) at Wyoming is unacceptable, but 6-7 wins per year and an annual bowl game (all losses) at Eastern Michigan is impressive.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:14 pm
I don't think you're crazy, but I am curious why 6-7 wins per year and an annual bowl game (3-1) at Wyoming is unacceptable, but 6-7 wins per year and an annual bowl game (all losses) at Eastern Michigan is impressive.
What makes it impressive, is where they started, what they were before his arrival. Their entire history consisted of one bowl game and 4 winning seasons prior to his arrival. Turning that team around was no easy feat. He definitely could do with more which I firmly believe we have to offer.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:54 pm

If you asked me to name the absolute worst coaching candidates, Arroyo would be near the top of the list. How he has kept falling upwards in his career is baffling. UNLV will continue to suck.
This response is like, the picture perfect example of most debates on this board.

Random person: Presents a full argument backed by actual facts, statistics, history, and knowledge of goings-on outside of Wyoming football...as well as an understanding of the bigger picture and some of the nuances of the situation.

Someone else, almost instantly: "Nuh uh, you're retarded" (that's it, that's the argument)

Meanwhile, you have people in this thread suggesting Jim f##k[#] McElwain, lmao. But sure, I'm the retarded one.
I apologize as I must have missed and could not locate this full argument backed by extensive facts, statistics, history and an unparalleled knowledge of college football outside of the University of Wyoming. Perhaps your posts were inadvertently deleted.

Arroyo was run off from Wyoming and his offenses were the worst during Dave Christensen’s tenure. Gregg Brandon righted the ship for a year before leaving. Arroyo had the luxury of coaching Justin Herbert at Oregon and frankly underachieving. A good portion of the fanbase at Oregon was elated when Arroyo left. 0-6, 2-10 and 5-7 as UNLV’s head coach in a bad MWC is not impressive in the least, especially when they have a very physically talented QB in Doug Brumfield. Losing to Hawaii late in the season when Bowl eligibility is on the line shows exactly what kind of coach Arroyo is. The irony is that UNLV might actually get a bowl game at 5-7 because of the lack of bowl eligible teams and their APR.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Meanwhile, you have people in this thread suggesting Jim f##k[#] McElwain, lmao. But sure, I'm the retarded one.
Why are you opposed to Mc Elwain? He’s had 10x the D-1 success Marcus Arroyo has had
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Without Arroyo, Wyoming possibly never gets or has the opportunity to develop Brett Smith. And I will submit once again that working under DC is a hit or miss endeavor. Or did we all forget what a poop HC Dave was?

As far as Oregon goes, Arroyo had to deal with Christobal and Taggart, who are widely considered two of the worst P5 coaches in existence....and still ended up with a Rose Bowl win and an 11-2 season. Any Oregon fan with two shreds of common sense knew Arroyo wasn't the real problem and was largely a scapegoat.

At UNLV, Arroyo was handed the reigns to a program with...let me reiterate...4 winning seasons in 30 years, and his first year was the Covid year. Yet somehow he was able to make marked improvement year over year there...something that was plainly obvious if you actually watched UNLV football and talked to UNLV fans. (Additionally, while Brumfield is good, he's not elite...and you conveniently left out the fact that he missed nearly two games with injury.)

There are reports Arroyo will be let go today, which I'm sure gives you all sorts of a sense of self-validation. But let me tell you something...UNLV fans are NOT happy with the move. AT ALL. And the general feeling across CFB is that it's about the dumbest decision the administration could have made. Far be it for me to explain that there exists a world outside of your bubble though.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 pm Why are you opposed to Mc Elwain? He’s had 10x the D-1 success Marcus Arroyo has had
McElwain has a lot of success on paper, but he's got a reputation for severely underachieving with what he's got, being unable to fix ailing offenses in spite of being an offensive guru, being a less-than-capable recruiter, and running off capable players and staff in the name of being loyal to "his guys". Florida fans in particular were not happy with him.

He's also got a gnarly reputation for butting heads with administrations and being a PR nightmare; he was a general pain in the ass at both CSU and Florida in that regard. He likes to make big splashes and burn important bridges.

There's a reason he's been relegated to the MAC after having multiple opportunities in the MWC and the SEC and even after attending "Nick Saban's Rehab Center for Coaches".

If we were absolutely desperate for a coach, I'd say maybe. We could certainly do worse, but he's not incredibly high on the list.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:00 am Without Arroyo, Wyoming possibly never gets or has the opportunity to develop Brett Smith. And I will submit once again that working under DC is a hit or miss endeavor. Or did we all forget what a Sh#t HC Dave was?

As far as Oregon goes, Arroyo had to deal with Christobal and Taggart, who are widely considered two of the worst P5 coaches in existence....and still ended up with a Rose Bowl win and an 11-2 season. Any Oregon fan with two shreds of common sense knew Arroyo wasn't the real problem and was largely a scapegoat.

At UNLV, Arroyo was handed the reigns to a program with...let me reiterate...4 winning seasons in 30 years, and his first year was the Covid year. Yet somehow he was able to make marked improvement year over year there...something that was plainly obvious if you actually watched UNLV football and talked to UNLV fans. (Additionally, while Brumfield is good, he's not elite...and you conveniently left out the fact that he missed nearly two games with injury.)

There are reports Arroyo will be let go today, which I'm sure gives you all sorts of a sense of self-validation. But let me tell you something...UNLV fans are NOT happy with the move. AT ALL. And the general feeling across CFB is that it's about the dumbest decision the administration could have made. Far be it for me to explain that there exists a world outside of your bubble though.
Arroyo was just fired by UNLV. Thankfully he will not be back at Wyoming.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

Wyokie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:21 pm Like New Mexico State's HC. They just slaughtered Liberty 49-14 on the road and the Aggies were a 24 point underdog.
I was unreasonably pleased when I saw that.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:09 pm
Wyokie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:21 pm Like New Mexico State's HC. They just slaughtered Liberty 49-14 on the road and the Aggies were a 24 point underdog.
I was unreasonably pleased when I saw that.
I feel bad for Jerry Kill. He's a solid coach, but his health wouldn't let him compete at the high-pressure places. Coincidentally, Jay Sawvel is part of the Jerry Hill/Tracy Claeys coaching tree.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:44 pm Because FCS hires have worked so well? JFC, hire an FBS head coach with a competitive track record on an upward trajectory.
I donno. I see your point.

There are some Craig Bohl characteristics I'd like to stay around for a while. Most of that is his "lunch box" and "ranch pickup truck" technique that he manages to develop into D1 players, with a roster with more than 1 or 2 wyo kids.

Vigen was part of the above, and probably understands that better than any other coach out there. The diamonds in the rough. Development. Nutrition and strength.

I haven't watched an MSU game since they played here. He was handed a bit of that. He also participated in ancestry that we have now. He wasn't calling the offense/defense. They looked far different to what we have now. He'd have his previous connections and access to Bohl.

He at least checks a few of those boxes. But frankly, I don't have a long list of coaches to bring to Laramie. I would be willing to give it a try if it happened.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

Its a different board than it was a decade ago for sure. I think it mostly reflects on politics and social media these days. The data collection is out of control and they have figured out how to trigger us by putting us all in boxes, tossing some diesel on, and lighting a match. At the same time, "big money" is buying up the politicians to focus on their agenda's, keep us divided and fighting, and cashing big paychecks.

Add in anonymity (even though that's a thing of the past), biases and triggers, and money - well - i just fear for society.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:00 am Without Arroyo, Wyoming possibly never gets or has the opportunity to develop Brett Smith. And I will submit once again that working under DC is a hit or miss endeavor. Or did we all forget what a Sh#t HC Dave was?
DC was a jerk. I have no idea how he convinced the players he had to come to Wyoming. My best guess is that the assistants did it.

He did develop a decent offense. Never put time into the details - like a tough o-line. It was just very good skill players without a line. If he would have dug down more, that could have been interesting.

Then there was conversions of the best defensive players to offense. He never cared to build a defense, or hire a good defensive staff.
I can't really speak to this. I know next to nothing about Oregon football
I follow UNLV a bit. They are in the same conference as us. I haven't cared about the rest in years. I thought he was a bad hire. He is doing some good stuff right now, but it's not impressive. If any team in the MWC has room to grow and be good fast, it is at UNLV. A good hire there could be a pain in the ass for the rest of the conference? Why haven't they done it? I donno - maybe they are conservative with their money. Maybe they are idiots at hiring football coaches. Donno. If they ponied up a few more bucks and did more research, they probably would dominate the conference. How hard would it be to recruit there? Guess I don't know much about their studies. That could be a stopper.
I don't remember the year he was hired - i think it was 3 years ago. Too lazy to look it up. I remember when he was hired, I just laughed and said "good luck." He did get further than I expected there. From my limited experience about him, I think he would be all over the offense, and not care too much about the other two parts of the game. He does have a good 'spread offense mentality.' That works when your not playing a team that can play defense and special teams.

In my humble opinion, what we need here is a craig bohl v2 that has some creativity. Bohl has seemed to make us a very physical team that can really put the hurt on. I do like the 11 on 11 concept - make 'em all work for it. What I don't like is the - okay qb sneak, lets wait until 3 seconds left to snap the ball, then punt. He get's it done physically on offense but never has points to show for it. Beat a guy up enough, and he gets smart and learns how to not take those hits. In our current incarnation, do some psychological damage and keep them guessing. Vary the tempo a bit. Do a bit more psychops.

I don't think Bohl is far away from a championship with what he has implemented. I personally think it is related to variations mentally in the game. You can't say I'm starting the bulldozer at 11:15:45.02 over and over again and expect everyone to not be looking at their watch. Sure the 70's cornhuskers might think we have a "half hour" before we need to do anything, but not in this day and age.

If there is any truth to Vigen interviewing this way, no harm IMHO. He does seems a bit more adaptable than I previously thought. Knows the Wyoming recruiting connections, and has been part of building to where we are. Not a grand slam, but a good solid interview and alot of food for thought.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I wouldn’t hate a Vigen hire. It’d make a transition more seamless but it’s possible he’d make changes he knows that needs to be made.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:25 pm

Its a different board than it was a decade ago for sure. I think it mostly reflects on politics and social media these days. The data collection is out of control and they have figured out how to trigger us by putting us all in boxes, tossing some diesel on, and lighting a match. At the same time, "big money" is buying up the politicians to focus on their agenda's, keep us divided and fighting, and cashing big paychecks.

Add in anonymity (even though that's a thing of the past), biases and triggers, and money - well - i just fear for society.
People have seemingly forgotten the golden rule of speaking to mixed company: don't talk about politics or religion. If we'd get back to that the world would be a much more pleasant place.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:19 am

People have seemingly forgotten the golden rule of speaking to mixed company: don't talk about politics or religion. If we'd get back to that the world would be a much more pleasant place.
LOL It's hard for me to go to Facebook sometimes because there's a lot of political and religious stuff posted by my friends and family. Normally I'd be O.K. with it but considering how OPINIONATED I am with the fact I'm atheist and etc..., it's gets really hard NOT to post my opinion because if I did, I'd lose a hell of a lot of friends and family. LOL I kid you not, I am the only person in my entire family that everyone likes!!!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:19 am

I agree. How do we get back to that spot? I don't see it happening anytime soon (and sure hope it does). I'm a big fan of leave people alone for the most part - but you have brought up a long lasting point.

I'd rather not see it from the darkside!