Bohl should be banned from communicating with players on the offense

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:30 pm
laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:30 pm

3/4 of this board would have done disgusting things for 6 wins this season. the same people said it would be a miracle. Bohl is borderline coach of the year in the conference. This season buys him 2 more years, like it or not. Firing Bohl and watch all the young talent bounce.
Talent?
Are you actually saying there isn’t any talent on D? Or in the rb Corp or offensive line?
W-Y, Until I Die!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:33 pm

Talent?
Are you actually saying there isn’t any talent on D? Or in the rb Corp or offensive line?
I would be very interested to know what the players’ opinions of bohl are. Do they like playing for him? Do they feel like his coaching is putting them in the best position to win? I mean, after all we’re just a bunch of little league coaches who don’t know anything.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Well all the transfers last year didn't really seem to paint a good picture, but early on in this season everyone seemed pretty bought in and everyone claimed things were good.

Players seemed a little [understandably] heated even with each other at the end of last game, and this was a game that clearly showed some quit in the team. If a divided locker room rears its ugly head again, that's obviously very problematic and doesn't speak well to culture or relationship with coaches.

Overall I had the impression for years that Bohl was pretty universally respected by players (as well as his peers), but all the talk the last couple of years of locker room issues and even Bohl himself admitting he needed to work more on "personal relationships" is a bit concerning.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Maybe conference championship-level football at WYO is a fool's errand in modern football? Not being a defeatist, just looking at the actual data. Through a couple of ADS and several coaches, the results are mostly the same. Bohl has done a little better but I'm still convinced that the weak conference benefits him compared to others. Nonetheless, he keeps us out of the abyss.

If fire Bohl is the way forward, then it makes sense to try to catch lightning in a bottle with young, budget
-friendly staffs. Use the cost savings elsewhere. If you recall, 10 or so years ago, Tedford had interst in the job here. If he had taken it, do you think WYO is fielding a FSU-like team last night? Hard to say obviously, but I doubt it.

I still recall an article about Glenn where he asked another coach "why can't you win at WYO?" response "shrug, that's just the way it is". The reporter observed the conversation, was from CO, and I'm sure was gleeful to hear/write that. Still, it stuck with me and I've often wondered about it. I've had the opportunity to talk to former MWC players and a position coach. All had the same take "tough guys just can't get the players up there".

Fire Bohl? I'm not sure which camp I'm in. Ready to go on the csu cycle? Hire, suck, fire, rinse, repeat and hope the next one is lightning in the bottle? Say what you want, but if you've analyzed the data and been a fan long enough, you know, deep down, that's exactly where we'd be. Maybe the chase is worth it if you are ever successful? Maybe hire-fire is a better cycle than 7 wins and a bowl game? Both are cycles hoping for an outlier year to win a championship.

Firing coaches is an easy conclusion/decision that fan bases resort to when results aren't exactly what they want. Truly improving a program is a much more difficult assessment and set of decisions.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

In theory recruiting talent should get easier with the population explosion in the front range and I particular the Denver Metros. I actually believe the transfer portal is an opportunity for getting talent, but that turns Bohl’s philosophy on its head.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:23 am Maybe conference championship-level football at WYO is a fool's errand in modern football? Not being a defeatist, just looking at the actual data. Through a couple of ADS and several coaches, the results are mostly the same. Bohl has done a little better but I'm still convinced that the weak conference benefits him compared to others. Nonetheless, he keeps us out of the abyss.

If fire Bohl is the way forward, then it makes sense to try to catch lightning in a bottle with young, budget
-friendly staffs. Use the cost savings elsewhere. If you recall, 10 or so years ago, Tedford had interst in the job here. If he had taken it, do you think WYO is fielding a FSU-like team last night? Hard to say obviously, but I doubt it.

I still recall an article about Glenn where he asked another coach "why can't you win at WYO?" response "shrug, that's just the way it is". The reporter observed the conversation, was from CO, and I'm sure was gleeful to hear/write that. Still, it stuck with me and I've often wondered about it. I've had the opportunity to talk to former MWC players and a position coach. All had the same take "tough guys just can't get the players up there".

Fire Bohl? I'm not sure which camp I'm in. Ready to go on the csu cycle? Hire, suck, fire, rinse, repeat and hope the next one is lightning in the bottle? Say what you want, but if you've analyzed the data and been a fan long enough, you know, deep down, that's exactly where we'd be. Maybe the chase is worth it if you are ever successful? Maybe hire-fire is a better cycle than 7 wins and a bowl game? Both are cycles hoping for an outlier year to win a championship.

Firing coaches is an easy conclusion/decision that fan bases resort to when results aren't exactly what they want. Truly improving a program is a much more difficult assessment and set of decisions.
Ragtime, great post. I have disagreed vehemently w/you about many topics as it relates to the Wyoming athletic programs but the thoughts you are trying to grapple with here mirror my own. So much of the conversation on this board oversimplifies what may be keeping Wyoming from having a championship caliber football program.

When you take in the last 25 years of Cowboy football...what is the consistent through-line of Wyoming coaches? The program Bohl has installed seems to consistently keep us out of the very bottom of the conference but seems to also have a ceiling that will keep us from appearing many championships, much less winning one. I really don't know the answers but I am pretty sure that the simplistic solutions put forth here are not the way forward. Almost every scenario I can imagine that would help are low likelihood at pest. My best case scenario, as I've said before, is that Bohl finds religion and realizes how hamstrung he has always been by deploying this offensive strategy/scheme and cleans house on that side of the ball. Now...I don't think that is ever going to happen...the same stuff that makes him good at other areas of leading the program also keep him from getting to that place.

Fire Bohl? for me it's ... well...go for it but I'm not holding my breath that there is some hire out there that keeps us from going backwards...much less making that next step.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:25 pm
Ha ha. You’re the naive simpleton in that you think there’s actually chance Bohl gets fired. It’s not gonna happen buddy, but wholesale changes on offense, while not likely, are way more likely than Bohl getting fired.
After nine years of otherwise, do you really think so? How f##k[#] drunk ARE you? Enough people stop donating and buying tix, Bohl's gone. It's as simple as that. I'm doubling down by boycotting the whole athletic program. Bohl AND Burman need to retire and form a bowling team at Laramie Lanes.
If you think there is the remotest chance Bohl gets fired after winning 7 games you have your head in the clouds no matter what you do! The better way to go about it is demand change on offense. Stop supporting the program and UW certainly won’t help. Sheesh
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:27 pm
WyoVaquero wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:11 pm Bohl should take lessons watching Fresno’s Offense.
Why doesn’t he just copy their plays?
He might if he could find the players that could do it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

When you take in the last 25 years of Cowboy football...what is the consistent through-line of Wyoming coaches? The program Bohl has installed seems to consistently keep us out of the very bottom of the conference but seems to also have a ceiling that will keep us from appearing many championships, much less winning one. I really don't know the answers but I am pretty sure that the simplistic solutions put forth here are not the way forward. Almost every scenario I can imagine that would help are low likelihood at pest. My best case scenario, as I've said before, is that Bohl finds religion and realizes how hamstrung he has always been by deploying this offensive strategy/scheme and cleans house on that side of the ball. Now...I don't think that is ever going to happen...the same stuff that makes him good at other areas of leading the program also keep him from getting to that place.

Fire Bohl? for me it's ... well...go for it but I'm not holding my breath that there is some hire out there that keeps us from going backwards...much less making that next step.
Haha, might actually agree on something. Our current situation reminds me a lot of the old Lobos with Rocky Long and somewhat like csu and Sonny.

Outside of bsu, af, fsu (maybe), and suds (maybe), there really hasn't been a MWC team that has been able to consistently challenge the top. 1 is an academy, 1 has a freakish history, and 2 are in a recruiting hotbed.

Obviously Bohl is here next year, but, theoretically if fired, I'd guess it around 95% that we struggle through at least 3 coaches and 12 years before finding some level of consistency again.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.