"Success" that can be built upon.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Is success that can be built upon something that could happen in the next few years? I can't imagine that Bohl will be here in three more years....but the problem is that I see it ending badly. Is there any way that we transition to a new head coach and don't go through an era that is as bad as what preceded Bohl?

Bohl is not winning championships but he has some success that I don't want to give up...how do we keep that and get better?
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I am glad that there is someone here that recognizes we have established a new, higher floor than we have had since I was a kid and Paul Roach was roaming the sidelines.

As I wrote elsewhere, you can't lose a championship in the last week or two of the season without being good enough to play for one. We hadn't been in this position for decades and it isn't like we are an Ohio State or Michigan that has been relevant for generations. How long had it been since the path to a conference championship went through Laramie?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

307bball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 pm Is success that can be built upon something that could happen in the next few years? I can't imagine that Bohl will be here in three more years....but the problem is that I see it ending badly. Is there any way that we transition to a new head coach and don't go through an era that is as bad as what preceded Bohl?

Bohl is not winning championships but he has some success that I don't want to give up...how do we keep that and get better?
Well having an offense that can execute a forward pass would be one way to be better.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:42 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:34 pm Is success that can be built upon something that could happen in the next few years? I can't imagine that Bohl will be here in three more years....but the problem is that I see it ending badly. Is there any way that we transition to a new head coach and don't go through an era that is as bad as what preceded Bohl?

Well having an offense that can execute a forward pass would be one way to be better.
Agreed.... But only if you keep all the other stuff that Wyoming has done well at during Bohl's tenure. I think we can all imagine a better offense and having an overall worse program... Remember Dave Christiansen?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

9 years with 1 shared conference title and nothing else since 1988. WHEN IS THE TIME??? WIN BIG MEANINGFUL FOOTBALL GAMES...THAT'S ALL
307bball
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:31 pm

9 years with 1 shared conference title and nothing else since 1988. WHEN IS THE TIME??? WIN BIG MEANINGFUL FOOTBALL GAMES...THAT'S ALL
I hear you... But let's hope that the athletic department can put a finer point in it then to just win big meaningful football games. I would imagine that had always been the goal.... How do you execute that? We are in a competitive trough that extends to end of the bowl alliance era. Bohl has been better than the rest of Wyoming coaches in that time period but it's not by a lot. Maybe it's worth a couple of 0-fer conference sessions just to get rid of him for some, but not for me. The answer is some sort of transition that does not destroy the stuff that Bohl's program has done well.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

NINE YEARS? Try 34 years since our last outright championship....AND counting......... :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

The 9 years was referring to the tenure of our Fearless Leader, and counting!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

307bball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:23 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:42 pm

Agreed.... But only if you keep all the other stuff that Wyoming has done well at during Bohl's tenure. I think we can all imagine a better offense and having an overall worse program... Remember Dave Christiansen?
I also remember Paul Roach and Joe Tiller. Their teams seemed to be able to both run and pass the ball on offense.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

doreno5 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:36 am
307bball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:23 pm

I also remember Paul Roach and Joe Tiller. Their teams seemed to be able to both run and pass the ball on offense.
True...the salient point is not that both teams had passable offenses. If that was all we cared about then DC would have been deemed a successful coach....he was not. Merely having a functional offense is not enough....you have to win games. I'm saying that the straw that stirs the drink will be to increase the offensive output without taking steps back in the areas that Bohl has done well with. Evidently this is not trivial ..... despite what message board warriors say.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:37 pm

Bohl has been better than the rest of Wyoming coaches in that time period but it's not by a lot.
Has he? He has a losing record against winning teams in a conference that no longer has byu*, Utah, and TCU. He has one win against a P5 team, and a loss to North Dakota on his resume. Joe Glenn had 5 P5 wins, including 2 away and a bowl game. Glenn also had a win against every MWC team. He was essentially let go for delivering 6-6 seasons.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:33 am
307bball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:37 pm

Bohl has been better than the rest of Wyoming coaches in that time period but it's not by a lot.
Has he? He has a losing record against winning teams in a conference that no longer has byu*, Utah, and TCU. He has one win against a P5 team, and a loss to North Dakota on his resume. Joe Glenn had 5 P5 wins, including 2 away and a bowl game. Glenn also had a win against every MWC team. He was essentially let go for delivering 6-6 seasons.
Correction: He was essentially let go for 3-13 in conference in years 5 and 6 of his tenure ... in a conference that had three really tough teams to beat and a lot of teams that he should have been able to beat but couldn't. If he even goes .500 against the bottom of the MWC of that era he does not get fired.

Everybody gets their panties in a bunch when people put Bohl above Glenn in the coach rankings at Wyoming but that is the right order. It's not like we are putting either of them above Roach here people. The bar for success may have been higher when Glen was coaching but he sailed under it by a wide margin.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

DIVISION, not conference.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:28 am The 9 years was referring to the tenure of our Fearless Leader, and counting!
Oh, my bad. :oops:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!