I'm already on to next season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Provided they keep the majority of this group back then I feel as though they can take another step and be better than they were this season. Now that the anger has subsided some following the Boise State debacle I find myself excited about what year 10 of the Bohl era could bring. He definitely needs to find an up and coming OC who can push the offense to another level. Will we be subjected to any losses via the NIL portal? I don't know, but even if we do lose any players I think it will be much less than the exodus off of last season. I want to believe this because last years team was full of fractures and divisions, and I think the program has rebounded and turned a corner with these kids really seeming to enjoy each other and they kind of give off the feeling that they're a true band of brothers. Valuable experience from so many young players this season should bode well for the 2023 season and hopefully they can take it up a notch. As for Bohl's future next year, its his most important, because he'll be entering into the next to last year of his contract. So know matter how next year goes a decision will need to be made by either Bohl himself (he retires) or the administration (they tell him they want to go in a new direction and pay off the final year of his deal) and will be on the lookout for our next coach. Bohl has won some important games but he's also lost more important games than he's won. He's been the most successful HC in Laramie since the year 2000 and that counts for something but what I want is to see our football program become a perennial top 40 CFB, say 8 out of every 10 years. I'd sign up for that right now. I think all of us would right? I don't think that's pie in the sky thinking either. I think it can be done and under Bohl there have been stretches of time where we seemed to be trending in that direction. The problem has been that when we are in that area and we take a step forward we always seem to find the banana peel to slip on while then taking 2 steps back. It's maddening. There should be no reason why we at the very least are not a consistent contender for playing in the mountain west championship game most seasons. We have a great stadium, a passionate fan following, great football facilities, we're on national television for most of our games so our exposure is very good. I guess what I'm saying is that we have a lot of really good ingredients but how they're putting them together inside the football kitchen seems to leave a lot to be desired. I asked in a thread several weeks ago: "Is this as good as it gets?" I would hate to arrive at the thought that yeah, this is as good as it will ever get. I don't want to come off sounding entitled, but I do believe that with as many people who are so devoted to the WFP, some for decades, the money that is contributed, the facilities, etc, that yes, I believe we Wyomingites definitely deserve more than football mediocrity even though the last 9 years have been more enjoyable than what we endured before Bohl planted his flag in Laramie.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

A new offensive coordinator does nothing, except run the same offensive scheme as we see now. This is the offense Bohl wants and a new OC won’t change that.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

I don't think Bohl will make any coaching changes. I expect any new QB will be a freshman coming out of highschool not a transfer. So I don't expect anything different next year (after 9 years I'm not going to pretend that bohl now finally surprises us with a new scheme). Peasley or Clemons will be the starter. We will struggle to pass for 100 yards every game. We will run the ball pretty well but will be one-dimensional. Our "ball-control offense" will only win time of possession in half the games because in the other half we will have an enormous amount of 3 and outs. We will lose 5 or 6 games like every year
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

Why move on to next season already? We still have a big game against Fresno next week, then a bowl game? So what if we aren't playing for the MWC championship? There are positives to enjoy about this season.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:54 am Why move on to next season already? We still have a big game against Fresno next week, then a bowl game? So what if we aren't playing for the MWC championship? There are positives to enjoy about this season.
What, exactly, is "big" about the Fresno State game? The difference between the Potato Bowl and the Arizona Bowl maybe? Do you really think any fan, booster, coach, or player for that matter....gives a damn about the minute difference between two mediocre bowls?

And after nine seasons, yes, we want championship appearances, not mediocre bowl games.

Yes, there are positives to be taken from the season. There were positives to be taken from last season, and the season before, and the season before that...

Every single year we find some excuse for Craig Bohl and say "I'm excited for next season".

Bohl has had rosters loaded with eventual NFL talent and couldn't get it done. Bohl had one of the greatest QBs modern football has ever seen and couldn't get it done. Bohl was handed the weakest MWC he's ever seen this year and couldn't get it done. Bohl has been pressured, poked, and prodded for years about his insanely inept offenses and has made zero effort to change.

What, exactly, makes things different now?

Literally the only reason I'll be watching the Fresno State game is to support Hoyland in making UW kicking history.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I’d be down for a new OC. This guys sucks. He came from IOWA for crap’s sake. The one school that may have an offense more putrid than ours. The OC BLOWS. At least Bohl understands half of football . What could it hurt to get a new one. But who am I kidding Grant and Polaseck will still be here next year
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

In all honesty the 2022 Wyoming football season ended for me last night. I've seen this same movie/season several times over now and it's beginning to wear thin. I have zero excitement for the Fresno State game. I guess I'll watch whatever bowl game we end up in but its part of that same, tired, all too familiar script.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:38 am I’d be down for a new OC. This guys sucks. He came from IOWA for crap’s sake. The one school that may have an offense more putrid than ours. The OC BLOWS. At least Bohl understands half of football . What could it hurt to get a new one. But who am I kidding Grant and Polaseck will still be here next year
It is absolutely amazing to me how Mike Grant somehow has failed upwards in this program.

He was in charge of some of the worst WR corps we've ever seen at Wyoming, yet somehow gets promoted and actually put in charge of the overall passing game.

What in the actual flying f-word did Bohl expect would happen? Lmao. Like, it's actually comical.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

I think that part of the problem stems from perception. Many Wyoming fans just don't care that much and it actually works to the administration's advantage imo. There is no pressure to bust through to the other side and thus 7 win seasons are celebrated year after year. The good old boy network at old main prevents any real dissent and you're excommunicated from the brown and gold church if you dare to express dissatisfaction or wonder why more can't be done or isn't demanded be done. There's a lot of 'it's good enough" sort of thinking that goes on and if as fans we express frustration, even with good points being made, somehow we're bad fans. Bullsheet.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:11 am I think that part of the problem stems from perception. Many Wyoming fans just don't care that much and it actually works to the administration's advantage imo. There is no pressure to bust through to the other side and thus 7 win seasons are celebrated year after year. The good old boy network at old main prevents any real dissent and you're excommunicated from the brown and gold church if you dare to express dissatisfaction or wonder why more can't be done or isn't demanded be done. There's a lot of 'it's good enough" sort of thinking that goes on and if as fans we express frustration, even with good points being made, somehow we're bad fans. Bullsheet.
Is it perception or reality? We are a small market school and population area trying to compete against schools that are 3 and 4 times the size of UW. What if Neyor stays? Or any of the other players who jumped ship? It will be a continuous struggle to keep players under the new rules.

I share your frustration. And it's amazing to me that we cannot find even a mediocre qb. Yet, we have a stable of running backs that are the best in the league. Bohl does things a certain way. And it means a vanilla offense that is meant for ball control, not scoring points. If you want championships, he's not the guy.

But the garbage I read on the site last night was the worst I've ever seen - starting with the site moderator and of course, ending with the poster who constantly wants us to abandon football - the howdy doody idiot. If you want to hammer Bohl or his assistants - fine. They make big money and they are responsible for the players on the field. Our players are not getting NIL money. They get the same scholarship as a soccer player, or wrestler, or any other sport that no one pays attention to. They played their butts off last night in horrible conditions. We should be thanking them, not crapping on them.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:55 am Provided they keep the majority of this group back then I feel as though they can take another step and be better than they were this season. Now that the anger has subsided some following the Boise State debacle I find myself excited about what year 10 of the Bohl era could bring. He definitely needs to find an up and coming OC who can push the offense to another level. Will we be subjected to any losses via the NIL portal? I don't know, but even if we do lose any players I think it will be much less than the exodus off of last season. I want to believe this because last years team was full of fractures and divisions, and I think the program has rebounded and turned a corner with these kids really seeming to enjoy each other and they kind of give off the feeling that they're a true band of brothers. Valuable experience from so many young players this season should bode well for the 2023 season and hopefully they can take it up a notch. As for Bohl's future next year, its his most important, because he'll be entering into the next to last year of his contract. So know matter how next year goes a decision will need to be made by either Bohl himself (he retires) or the administration (they tell him they want to go in a new direction and pay off the final year of his deal) and will be on the lookout for our next coach. Bohl has won some important games but he's also lost more important games than he's won. He's been the most successful HC in Laramie since the year 2000 and that counts for something but what I want is to see our football program become a perennial top 40 CFB, say 8 out of every 10 years. I'd sign up for that right now. I think all of us would right? I don't think that's pie in the sky thinking either. I think it can be done and under Bohl there have been stretches of time where we seemed to be trending in that direction. The problem has been that when we are in that area and we take a step forward we always seem to find the banana peel to slip on while then taking 2 steps back. It's maddening. There should be no reason why we at the very least are not a consistent contender for playing in the mountain west championship game most seasons. We have a great stadium, a passionate fan following, great football facilities, we're on national television for most of our games so our exposure is very good. I guess what I'm saying is that we have a lot of really good ingredients but how they're putting them together inside the football kitchen seems to leave a lot to be desired. I asked in a thread several weeks ago: "Is this as good as it gets?" I would hate to arrive at the thought that yeah, this is as good as it will ever get. I don't want to come off sounding entitled, but I do believe that with as many people who are so devoted to the WFP, some for decades, the money that is contributed, the facilities, etc, that yes, I believe we Wyomingites definitely deserve more than football mediocrity even though the last 9 years have been more enjoyable than what we endured before Bohl planted his flag in Laramie.
Lol. It’ll be year ten of the same poop.

He is incapable of doing things any other way.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

I don't think anyone is hammering the players at all. I think all will admit they played their tails off last night. That was as tough a loss as I can remember in a long time. The effects of it are spilling out here today.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:54 am Why move on to next season already? We still have a big game against Fresno next week, then a bowl game? So what if we aren't playing for the MWC championship? There are positives to enjoy about this season.
Getting pounded by the West champs followed by a trip to the December travel destination hotspot of Boise ID for the Potato Bowl.

That’s why.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:41 am
But the garbage I read on the site last night was the worst I've ever seen - starting with the site moderator and of course, ending with the poster who constantly wants us to abandon football - the howdy doody idiot. If you want to hammer Bohl or his assistants - fine. They make big money and they are responsible for the players on the field. Our players are not getting NIL money. They get the same scholarship as a soccer player, or wrestler, or any other sport that no one pays attention to. They played their butts off last night in horrible conditions. We should be thanking them, not crapping on them.
Firstly, people who want us to abandon football are like .00000001% of the fanbase and are idiots that need be ignored entirely.

Secondly, the vast majority of people are hammering Bohl and his assistants. I've seen very, very few people trashing the players themselves; don't take another 1% of the fan population and build a giant strawman out of it.

(However, we are allowed to mention...despite it not being the reason the team lost the game...Clemons did objectively make some bad decisions and throws. While a lot of that is on Bohl and company's inability to develop QBs, let's not necessarily coddle a man who has played QB since high school, spend years in the Utah system, has been in our system for two years, and got first team reps all week. Mentioning that he made some inexcusable throws and decisions, and realizing there are other, bigger factors involved, are not mutually exclusive. I know nuanced thought is hard for some here, but CFB isn't necessarily simple.)
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Fresno(also not a state) will probably only play its starters for the 1st half(if that), cuz they got a bigger game to worry about in the MWC Championship against Boise. If we still have gas in the tank and the want to finish the year right then we might have a chance against a Haener-less QB Bulldog team...we shall see
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:11 am I think that part of the problem stems from perception. Many Wyoming fans just don't care that much and it actually works to the administration's advantage imo. There is no pressure to bust through to the other side and thus 7 win seasons are celebrated year after year. The good old boy network at old main prevents any real dissent and you're excommunicated from the brown and gold church if you dare to express dissatisfaction or wonder why more can't be done or isn't demanded be done. There's a lot of 'it's good enough" sort of thinking that goes on and if as fans we express frustration, even with good points being made, somehow we're bad fans. Bullsheet.
Is it perception or reality? We are a small market school and population area trying to compete against schools that are 3 and 4 times the size of UW. What if Neyor stays? Or any of the other players who jumped ship? It will be a continuous struggle to keep players under the new rules.

I share your frustration. And it's amazing to me that we cannot find even a mediocre qb. Yet, we have a stable of running backs that are the best in the league. Bohl does things a certain way. And it means a vanilla offense that is meant for ball control, not scoring points. If you want championships, he's not the guy.

Well said, bladerunner
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:22 pm

Well said, bladerunner
I shoulda been better about what I said last night. Just pissed and frustrated we haven't done squat on winning championships that's been going on for 35 frinkin YEARS now!!!!!!! Part of my problem is I live in Oklahoma where the culture here is win championships or don't bother showing up!!!! If you have to cheat to win, so be it!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyokie wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:40 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:22 pm
Well said, bladerunner
I shoulda been better about what I said last night. Just pissed and frustrated we haven't done squat on winning championships that's been going on for 35 frinkin YEARS now!!!!!!! Part of my problem is I live in Oklahoma where the culture here is win championships or don't bother showing up!!!! If you have to cheat to win, so be it!!!!
No worries, brother! It was a tough night for all Cowboys and Cowboys we are
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:47 pm
Wyokie wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:40 pm

Welp, at least the Buffalo Bills won today. LOL
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyokie wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:47 pm

Welp, at least the Buffalo Bills won today. LOL
Yeah. It just feels hollow because of yesterday. I’d take the bills going 0-16 if it meant a ‘ship for our cowboys