Good effort, men

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Just want to put it out there our guys fought like hell. I’m proud of them
Smeller
Buckaroo
Has liked: 42 times

👍
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Now that the shock has worn off some, I want to say that was one hell of a gutsy effort by those young men. They balled out on both sides of the ball and it's a shame it ended the way it did. This is probably the toughest damn team I've seen play at Wyoming in quite a few years. They're young and missing quite a few dudes. Stone is out there making plays with an arm brace. Too bad it didn't work out.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

It was an admirable effort. The margin for error with this years team was always razor thin and they pretty much balled out. I've heard a few say things like "look how young they are....if they stay together it could be special". I am skeptical of two things here...

1. That they will stay together....We have no track record of staying intact in this new era of player movement and transfers.

2. Even if we had complete turnover in this young offense, could we be any worse?
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

It was a great effort that was doomed at the end by a miserable and almost hard to believe play call. Rats!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Worst in-game coaching ever. I won't spend another dime or minute on UW Athletecits as long as he's head coach.

Bye, UW.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:34 pm It was a great effort that was doomed at the end by a miserable and almost hard to believe play call. Rats!
Nothing wrong with the play call. The execution was terrible. What did you want us to do? Run the ball and then kick a field goal?
Then what happens in overtime? Their offense against ours is a horrible prospect for us. They can run and throw and we can only run.

Our qb was not recruited as a qb anywhere in D1. Our injured qb has been underwhelming in the pass game this year. Our receivers are 2nd tier, at best.

I think it's fair to question the play call based on who was out there and how many interceptions we already had. But I don't think running the ball was going to get us in the end zone. This is where the one dimensional nature of our offense kills us. We don't beat good teams because we are too easy to defend. We had a lot of 3 and outs. They didn't. We struggle to score against even terrible competition. Boise st. doesn't. We were almost gifted that game last night but we couldn't take advantage because we have an anemic offense that emphasizes limiting mistakes and eating clock. That's why we will never win a championship with Bohl. As bad as this conference is this year, Boise St. and the team we play next week are capable of scoring a ton of points. We aren't.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 125 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:49 am
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:34 pm It was a great effort that was doomed at the end by a miserable and almost hard to believe play call. Rats!
Nothing wrong with the play call. The execution was terrible. What did you want us to do? Run the ball and then kick a field goal?
Then what happens in overtime? Their offense against ours is a horrible prospect for us. They can run and throw and we can only run.

Our qb was not recruited as a qb anywhere in D1. Our injured qb has been underwhelming in the pass game this year. Our receivers are 2nd tier, at best.

I think it's fair to question the play call based on who was out there and how many interceptions we already had. But I don't think running the ball was going to get us in the end zone. This is where the one dimensional nature of our offense kills us. We don't beat good teams because we are too easy to defend. We had a lot of 3 and outs. They didn't. We struggle to score against even terrible competition. Boise st. doesn't. We were almost gifted that game last night but we couldn't take advantage because we have an anemic offense that emphasizes limiting mistakes and eating clock. That's why we will never win a championship with Bohl. As bad as this conference is this year, Boise St. and the team we play next week are capable of scoring a ton of points. We aren't.
Yep, that’s exactly what I wanted. Run Swen, maybe he breaks one, if not let it go to OT. The defense played well against a very good offensive team. I would have taken our chances in OT!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:02 am
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:49 am

Yep, that’s exactly what I wanted. Run Swen, maybe he breaks one, if not let it go to OT. The defense played well against a very good offensive team. I would have taken our chances in OT!
Yep we had 45 seconds a timeout from the 21 yard line. Run swen on first down. If he doesn't get a first down spike the ball on 2nd and run him again on 3rd. If he doesn't get a first down then call the timeout with 3 seconds left and let Hoyland kick the fg. If he gets a first down on either of the plays then we are basically in a first and goal situation and depending on the time left you determine what to do.

Sure if we had any expectations of a QB completing a pass that play call could have been ok. Many of the games I'm wishing we called more passes. But in that game in that situation right after we just had an int and with only 3 completions in the game it was an absolutely terrible play call.

The game should have been in the hands of our 2 most productive players Swen and Hoyland not the QB and recievers that had only 3 completions the entire game.

If we go to ot we are at home and no longer on a 2 minute offense and can still try to run the ball and/or hope the d comes up with another stop. Plus their fg kicker had already missed in the game which could have been a difference in ot.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:09 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:02 am

Yep we had 45 seconds a timeout from the 21 yard line. Run swen on first down. If he doesn't get a first down spike the ball on 2nd and run him again on 3rd. If he doesn't get a first down then call the timeout with 3 seconds left and let Hoyland kick the fg. If he gets a first down on either of the plays then we are basically in a first and goal situation and depending on the time left you determine what to do.

Sure if we had any expectations of a QB completing a pass that play call could have been ok. Many of the games I'm wishing we called more passes. But in that game in that situation right after we just had an int and with only 3 completions in the game it was an absolutely terrible play call.

The game should have been in the hands of our 2 most productive players Swen and Hoyland not the QB and recievers that had only 3 completions the entire game.

If we go to ot we are at home and no longer on a 2 minute offense and can still try to run the ball and/or hope the d comes up with another stop. Plus their fg kicker had already missed in the game which could have been a difference in ot.
Nailed it.

I legitimately woke up in the middle of the night thinking about the game. Just so frustrated what I watched.

Although players can take criticism, my frustration is ten times more with Bohl than Jayden. Terrible throw yes, but it's like the coaches were not even watching the same game. Zero awareness of the game feel. A TD shot there was not right. Crazy to think that the very thing Bohl has done for nine years, and makes us all so angry...(ie running the ball over and over) he didn't even try.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:16 am Worst in-game coaching ever. I won't spend another dime or minute on UW Athletecits as long as he's head coach.

Bye, UW.
This is sad to see. Geez
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I agree - before the season, no way in hell did I think this team could be at the top of the conference and compete with Boise for the Division crown. Especially with a further depleted roster due to injury. This team has far surpassed reasonable expectations IMO.

This, fire Bohl and I’m no longer supporting the team is crap. It was a bad play call. But who would think that everyone would be complaining about Bohl not being conservative enough at the end of the game.

I’m excited for the future of this team and will attend the Bowl game assuming that it isn’t the Potato Bowl. Next week will be tough but let’s go pokes!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:55 am I agree - before the season, no way in hell did I think this team could be at the top of the conference and compete with Boise for the Division crown. Especially with a further depleted roster due to injury. This team has far surpassed reasonable expectations IMO.

This, fire Bohl and I’m no longer supporting the team is crap. It was a bad play call. But who would think that everyone would be complaining about Bohl not being conservative enough at the end of the game.

I’m excited for the future of this team and will attend the Bowl game assuming that it isn’t the Potato Bowl. Next week will be tough but let’s go pokes!
Took the words right out of my mouth. These kids deserve all the support in the world. Future is bright. It sure beats sucking and I’d take our season over any other team’s save Boise and Fresno
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

Calm down. Most of you thought we were a 3 win team. If you have stuck it out the last 35 yrs and you are mad about this one Im sorry, but yall are sticking around.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 125 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:16 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:55 am I agree - before the season, no way in hell did I think this team could be at the top of the conference and compete with Boise for the Division crown. Especially with a further depleted roster due to injury. This team has far surpassed reasonable expectations IMO.

Took the words right out of my mouth. These kids deserve all the support in the world. Future is bright. It sure beats sucking and I’d take our season over any other team’s save Boise and Fresno
They sure as hell don’t deserve so called fans telling them they suck as they walk into the locker room.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Dropping my selfishness, I really feel for those young men. They worked their f-word asses off when no one gave them a single shot to win anything. They were one poor decision away from playing the final game for the division. This team is full of ballers. Sucks to come up short.
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:01 pm Now that the shock has worn off some, I want to say that was one hell of a gutsy effort by those young men. They balled out on both sides of the ball and it's a shame it ended the way it did. This is probably the toughest damn team I've seen play at Wyoming in quite a few years. They're young and missing quite a few dudes. Stone is out there making plays with an arm brace. Too bad it didn't work out.
I agree this loss is on the coaching staff. The offensive play calling during the entire game was bland at best. The TV commentators said that the O coordinator had said Wyoming would throw the ball more on first down to loosen up the defense, I recall only 4 pass plays on first down and no real effort to throw underneath to backs or tight ends.
The play calling just before half where we had the ball near mid field and ran it 3 times made it clear that they coaches did not trust Clemons to be able to read coverages or go through his progressions. The last play call with 45 seconds to go and a time out in hand was just dumb. I understand hoping to hit the long ball but there should have been someone underneath to dump it off to in the event the intended receiver was double-covered.
Polasek is both the O-coordinator and QB coach, Clemons did exactly what he was coached to do- throw it deep on that play call . He lacked the coaching that if the intended receiver is not wide open to throw the ball away or check it down to an outlet receiver.
Bohl's philosophy is to keep the game close and hope to win in the 4th quarter, Wyoming's players earned the right to expect better by how hard they play every week. .
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

I woke up Sunday bummed that we lost, especially with 3 interceptions in the end zone, but still happy with the team effort. I'd love to see a bounce in Fresno go our way and pull the upset. Go Pokes!