Reece-uh-Monaco-uh-has-uh-Got to-uh-Go...(insert weird voice modulation at odd spots)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

David did a great job on the basketball online streams if you got the chance to see them. Keith Kelley will handle the rest of football and men's basketball. Wouldn't surprise me if David gets the women's basketball spot since Keith won't be able to do all 3.

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:10 am Too bad about Reese. I liked the guy, but didn't care much for his football play by play.

Someone mentioned David Suttle a while back. I think he would do a hell of a job.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Hopefully these are temporary band aid moves. I guess Settle would be okay for women's BB games as the audience for that can't be very large. But on the football side you can't go with Keith Kelly who seems like a nice guy but he doesn't have the presence or the command to be the full time guy. Bottom line is that Monaco was badly miscast and someone made a terrible decision to give him that job. There's plenty of good radio guys out there and after the season they'll have a lot of time to find him. My last thought is that this is really weird timing.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:47 pm Hopefully these are temporary band aid moves. I guess Settle would be okay for women's BB games as the audience for that can't be very large. But on the football side you can't go with Keith Kelly who seems like a nice guy but he doesn't have the presence or the command to be the full time guy. Bottom line is that Monaco was badly miscast and someone made a terrible decision to give him that job. There's plenty of good radio guys out there and after the season they'll have a lot of time to find him. My last thought is that this is really weird timing.
The timing is really bad. At this point you might as well keep him the rest of the year unless you’re letting Keith audition essentially.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:09 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:47 pm Hopefully these are temporary band aid moves. I guess Settle would be okay for women's BB games as the audience for that can't be very large. But on the football side you can't go with Keith Kelly who seems like a nice guy but he doesn't have the presence or the command to be the full time guy. Bottom line is that Monaco was badly miscast and someone made a terrible decision to give him that job. There's plenty of good radio guys out there and after the season they'll have a lot of time to find him. My last thought is that this is really weird timing.
The timing is really bad. At this point you might as well keep him the rest of the year unless you’re letting Keith audition essentially.
The timing is only bad in that it didn't happen far sooner. And why keep someone who is incompetent at his job?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Is there a way listen back to earlier broadcasts this year? Was able to watch every game this year and didn't need radio, so don't really have a reference for all the hate
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

cali2wyo wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:33 pm Is there a way listen back to earlier broadcasts this year? Was able to watch every game this year and didn't need radio, so don't really have a reference for all the hate
I think you can find the audio for at least some games here. https://gowyo.com/watch/?Live=2538&type=Live

Go to the On Demand section
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Reece wasn't the same after his stroke. I truly feel bad for him but relieving him was the only option. Best of luck to him in the future. I'm curious if they stick with Keith or go get someone.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The timing of the firing doesn't make sense and makes me wonder if we are getting whole truth. Did Reece do something so egregious that he had to be removed the day before the Boise game? We will probably never get the full story unfortunately.
I'm good for 3!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

I'm guessing he realized he was in over his head and didn't want to go any further. The guy who replaced him was pretty bad as well. From what I understand he's a high school play by play guy and he sounded like it. They really need a national search for the next permanent voice.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Maybe it’s because I was listening to Reece all year, maybe it’s because I’ve heard Keith Kelly call a lot of H.S. games…

But honestly, I thought KK did a really good job on Saturday. Curious what others thought?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:39 pm Maybe it’s because I was listening to Reece all year, maybe it’s because I’ve heard Keith Kelly call a lot of H.S. games…

But honestly, I thought KK did a really good job on Saturday. Curious what others thought?
I did not listen to Saturday's game on the radio so cannot opine on Kelly's call. What I do know is Monaco simply was not up to the job, apparently for unfortunate health reasons. Even the great Curt Gowdy got his start announcing a Cheyenne St. Mary's high school game so I would not disqualify everyone whose experience level was not as college football or above.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Let’s do a national search
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:25 pm Let’s do a national search
Absolutely not. I want it to be a local guy who loves Wyoming and loves Wyoming sports. This isn't brain surgery. I'm sure there are guys out there who can do the job. If all else fails, then do a search. But I don't care how polished a delivery he has as long as he can adequately describe the action. But someone who feels strongly about the state and the university is a must.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Well it isn't the people we have around these parts that's for sure. By the way, where is Reece from to begin with, was he from Wyoming? If they got someone from Montana or Idaho or any places like that such a person could fit in here very well. We should not settle for high school announcers simply because they might be from Wyoming. We need a professional and someone with the chops to get on the air with no questions they are the right person for the job.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:51 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:25 pm Let’s do a national search
Absolutely not. I want it to be a local guy who loves Wyoming and loves Wyoming sports. This isn't brain surgery. I'm sure there are guys out there who can do the job. If all else fails, then do a search. But I don't care how polished a delivery he has as long as he can adequately describe the action. But someone who feels strongly about the state and the university is a must.
Are you saying a guy from San Diego couldn't do the job?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:51 pm

Not only that but why not a guy who attended a rival school (of sorts) like San Diego State?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

Wyokie wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Not only that but why not a guy who attended a rival school (of sorts) like San Diego State?
Yep. I bet a guy like that wouldn't last more than 37 years...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Excellent point
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:31 pm
Wyokie wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:54 pm

I hate to respond to morons but I will anyway. Dave Walsh was working at K2 radio in Casper before he got hired by UW.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:50 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:31 pm

I hate to respond to morons but I will anyway. Dave Walsh was working at K2 radio in Casper before he got hired by UW.
He was only there for 2 years. He grew up in San Diego. Called games for Weber State football and basketball for 3 years after he graduated. Got hired as the sports director at KVOC in Casper for 2 years, where he called games for the Wyoming Wildcatters basketball team. He was a journeyman with zero connection to the University when he was hired.