Reece-uh-Monaco-uh-has-uh-Got to-uh-Go...(insert weird voice modulation at odd spots)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Plainsman87 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:40 pm I know that Reece has been bad. Here’s what I heard, and it tempers my feelings about it. Right before the season started, he had a stroke. It was too late to make a change and they’ve been hoping that as he heals, he’ll get better.

I thought he was quite good on the basketball side and hope that he gets back to being himself.
Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope Reece continues to improve health wise. I'm willing to give him a couple years.... he is following a LEGEND. That's almost an impossible task to live up to someone like Dave Walsh. Let's cut Reece a little slack
I'm good for 3!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:57 pm
Plainsman87 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:40 pm I know that Reece has been bad. Here’s what I heard, and it tempers my feelings about it. Right before the season started, he had a stroke. It was too late to make a change and they’ve been hoping that as he heals, he’ll get better.

I thought he was quite good on the basketball side and hope that he gets back to being himself.
Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope Reece continues to improve health wise. I'm willing to give him a couple years.... he is following a LEGEND. That's almost an impossible task to live up to someone like Dave Walsh. Let's cut Reece a little slack

Pardon me for asking but how old is Reece? If he had a stroke, makes me wonder if he'll quit after this season for health reasons.

Either way, hope his health improves. My grandmother, who is 87, had a stroke this past December and it took a lot outta of her.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

That vax has caused a lot of strokes and deaths, unfortunately. If he did have a stroke all the best to him, but let's not discount the fact that the guy simply doesn't have the chops to do play by play. I wish him well.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:47 pm

Oh wow, I did not know this and wish him the very best in his recovery. I’m clearly not a doctor but seems like the play by play job might be a lot of stress after a stroke.
Oh poop, not good! UW did him a disservice it appears? Hope he is recovering well, and able to take on the stress of the hoops season!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

Wyokie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:46 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:57 pm

Pardon me for asking but how old is Reece? If he had a stroke, makes me wonder if he'll quit after this season for health reasons.

Either way, hope his health improves. My grandmother, who is 87, had a stroke this past December and it took a lot outta of her.
55 i think, i talked to him earlier this summer and he did confirm a slight stroke and he said taking it day by day, as we all woulda. I'm not sure what the future holds but i think bball is more his speed. Maybe in good time and more practice he can hone his craft!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

He's awful and if this is the best Wyoming can do for play by play then I guess it speaks to the lack of talent we have in the media around here.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:43 pm He's awful and if this is the best Wyoming can do for play by play then I guess it speaks to the lack of talent we have in the media around here.
Thank you for stating the obvious. He's easily the worst I've ever heard. How hard is it to say "Swen goes up the middle to the 37 for a 4 yard gain"? He can't get the 37 or the 4. Unlistenable.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:08 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:43 pm He's awful and if this is the best Wyoming can do for play by play then I guess it speaks to the lack of talent we have in the media around here.
Thank you for stating the obvious. He's easily the worst I've ever heard. How hard is it to say "Swen goes up the middle to the 37 for a 4 yard gain"? He can't get the 37 or the 4. Unlistenable.
I sometimes hear him on our local sports talk station on my way home from work. He does not seem to have the same problems when he speaks. My guess is he simply is not good at calling football play by play as opposed to basketball. I have heard him a decent job on Cowgirl BB broadcasts .
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

We can go back and forth all day with some (few) feeling as though he needs more time, but the obviousness of the situation should indicate to any objective observer that he's swimming in waters far too deep. This isn't Cheyenne Community College, it's not a learn on the job sort of a position, this is a school in a major college football conference where your broadcast team should be up to the task with individuals who sound like they're ready for a big stage. Then again, if history is any indicator, Reece is someone who strikes me as being a part of the good old boys club, so he probably doesn't have anything to worry about. He can be less than mediocre and still be passable by Wyoming standards.
Last edited by PokesArePeopleToo on Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

My wife had a stroke a few years ago. It easily takes 6-18 months to be back to normal if you have no damage. One thing that also might be overlooked is the crew around him. Do we have new spotters etc? The booth guy is only as good as the spotters.
W-Y, Until I Die!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

You're right LaxWyo in that spotters are crucial in assisting a play by play voice, but it would be ridiculous to think he doesn't have one or two. But it goes beyond that in this situation because Reece can't even paint a picture of simple plays like a hand off to a running back or where the ball is being thrown to or even where the line of scrimmage is! Hopefully they recognize the mistake, hopefully Reece realizes that he's in over his head and leaves at the end of the season. Problem is, where do they go next? There is nobody in Laramie that could rise to that level. The guy who calls the Laramie high school game is exactly that, a high school broadcaster, and turning to someone like that would be doubling down on the original mistake. I've heard both guys who do Montana and Montana State games, if I was with Wyoming I'd look north after the season and see if there is any interest there.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

so, i synched up the gowyo feed with my stream and reece doesn't seem so bad. haha. I'm sure he'll get better but I do agree that his weird voice inflections at exciting moments just isn't it. I'm sure he's trying to have a thing. He might not have enough to to paint a picture for radio. like i said, when you're watching and listening to him, it's not that bad since you can let the visual do a lot.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

According to news from KFBC, Learfield relinquished Reece from his duties, didn't see that coming really...but i guess they didn't like what they heard(as well)...Keith Kelley will do the rest of football and men's bball this year. Kinda sad to hear for Reece but hopefully they find somebody good down the road as well!!!

Reece and Keith are truly good dudes
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

stymeman wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:25 pm According to news from KFBC, Learfield relinquished Reece from his duties, didn't see that coming really...but i guess they didn't like what they heard(as well)...Keith Kelley will do the rest of football and men's bball this year. Kinda sad to hear for Reece but hopefully they find somebody good down the road as well!!!

Reece and Keith are truly good dudes
Who will call the FB game tomorrow then since Kelly is at the BB tournament?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Hes not in Virgin Islands that was via video feed in Laramie, he's doing final Cowgirl game tonite in Laramie Keith will do tomorrow's football game and Fresno and Cowboy bball rest of year
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

stymeman wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:09 pm Hes not in Virgin Islands that was via video feed in Laramie, he's doing final Cowgirl game tonite in Laramie Keith will do tomorrow's football game and Fresno and Cowboy bball rest of year
^^^

Can confirm. Reece is fantastic people, and I hope he makes a fantastic recovery. Tomorrow marks a new era in Cowboy football with Keith at the helm.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

stymeman wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:25 pm According to news from KFBC, Learfield relinquished Reece from his duties, didn't see that coming really.

Ehhhhhhhh.... maybe not this.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

All the best to Monaco
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I had no problem with Reece and his basketball calls. Tough act to follow for football. I wasn’t a big fan of him for football but I thought he’d get better as the season went. I’d still like to hear Dave’s first year of play by play to see how good he was for comparison. Then again, college play by play shouldn’t necessarily be where you’re cutting your teeth. Heard he had a stroke. That couldn’t have helped and takes a while to fully recover from.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

Too bad about Reese. I liked the guy, but didn't care much for his football play by play.

Someone mentioned David Suttle a while back. I think he would do a hell of a job.