New coach picks

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

I'll stick with Bohl for 2023-24 and maybe beyond. This team is just starting to gel and they're extremely young, but talented. If they can keep this team together and are able to add to it with some additional recruiting, the Cowboys could have an outstanding team over the next few years ahead.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:56 pm I'll stick with Bohl for 2023-24 and maybe beyond. This team is just starting to gel and they're extremely young, but talented. If they can keep this team together and are able to add to it with some additional recruiting, the Cowboys could have an outstanding team over the next few years ahead.
If you want to advocate for Bohl, that's fine. But, we couldn't win more than 8 games with JA, McAllister, Hill, and several other great players. No team we put on the field can overcome amazingly predictable play calling with an emphasis on running straight up the middle - even with 9 defenders in the box.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:07 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:56 pm I'll stick with Bohl for 2023-24 and maybe beyond. This team is just starting to gel and they're extremely young, but talented. If they can keep this team together and are able to add to it with some additional recruiting, the Cowboys could have an outstanding team over the next few years ahead.
If you want to advocate for Bohl, that's fine. But, we couldn't win more than 8 games with JA, McAllister, Hill, and several other great players. No team we put on the field can overcome amazingly predictable play calling with an emphasis on running straight up the middle - even with 9 defenders in the box.
I get your frustration and I'm right there with you. Your points cannot be contested. That said, I just don't think that there is a better option than Craig Bohl at this time and so I'd be more likely to stay the course and see what emerges out of this group over the next 1-2 more years ahead.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:11 pm
I get your frustration and I'm right there with you. Your points cannot be contested. That said, I just don't think that there is a better option than Craig Bohl at this time and so I'd be more likely to stay the course and see what emerges out of this group over the next 1-2 more years ahead.
I don't disagree with this. If we happen to win 6 or 7 games with this team , it'll be a huge success. But I also agree with Bladerunner, I don't see where a young team that wins 6-7 games magically wins 9 or 10 games. Bohl has definitely fielded 10 win type defenses or better but O has never been up to it. I heard multiple people mention preseason that bohl would be a magician to win 6 games this year. I'm not advocating for a change at this moment, but if the right guy was there after the season, i'd consider it, even if we won 6 games. That definitely won't happen if bohl wins 6 or 7 games but it's ok to think about.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:04 am
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:11 pm
I don't disagree with this. If we happen to win 6 or 7 games with this team , it'll be a huge success. But I also agree with Bladerunner, I don't see where a young team that wins 6-7 games magically wins 9 or 10 games. Bohl has definitely fielded 10 win type defenses or better but O has never been up to it. I heard multiple people mention preseason that bohl would be a magician to win 6 games this year. I'm not advocating for a change at this moment, but if the right guy was there after the season, i'd consider it, even if we won 6 games. That definitely won't happen if bohl wins 6 or 7 games but it's ok to think about.
I think this is the key. We know the devil we have. We know what the last 22 years of history looks like. Whatever happens, it needs to be a trade-up and not a trade-down scenario.

There are a few things going for Bohl that previous coaches (at least since tiller) has going.
- He is recruiting Wyoming heavily. I seem to remember some of those Christensen teams would have 0 or 1 Wyoming player.
- He does seem to be able to develop talent. Who knows if the transfer pool destroys that though.
- The defense, without any coach named Stanard, generally perform well. Anyone remember Marty's last time here when he couldn't stop the run? That certainly shows something.
- Special teams usually is solid.
- Offense ????? I know he likes the TOP and uses that to a defensive advantage (even has a chapter in a book discussing that Defensive Football Strategies (American Football Coaches Association) Paperback – August 2, 2000 ).

We've had worse coaches. I just don't know at this point. You can't win if you can't score.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Is it me or has this board really slowed down with the volume of people leaving messages and posting opinions/ideas?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:45 pm Is it me or has this board really slowed down with the volume of people leaving messages and posting opinions/ideas?
Bye week and elk hunting.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:57 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:45 pm Is it me or has this board really slowed down with the volume of people leaving messages and posting opinions/ideas?
Bye week and elk hunting.
Ah...okay thanks.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 127 times

Yep.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Who is McAllister?