3 mwc championships since 2013?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Was reading article that brought this up. 3 mwc championships in all sports since 2013. Next lowest is sjsu with 8. Is that true?

Hmmm. Remember the Sternberg report?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

Longest running AD
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:53 pm Was reading article that brought this up. 3 mwc championships in all sports since 2013. Next lowest is sjsu with 8. Is that true?

"More with Less" - LMAO. How about setting the goals a bit higher, and working a bit harder. Re-tool the AD first, then the entire CJC staff, from the top down. Get somebody in the position that is tenacious and sets higher expectations.

Refresh my memory on Sternberg...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:20 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:53 pm Was reading article that brought this up. 3 mwc championships in all sports since 2013. Next lowest is sjsu with 8. Is that true?

"More with Less" - LMAO. How about setting the goals a bit higher, and working a bit harder. Re-tool the AD first, then the entire CJC staff, from the top down. Get somebody in the position that is tenacious and sets higher expectations.

Didn't he commission the AD review which basically said there was a culture accepting of mediocrity or something to that effect?

Maybe it wasn't Sternberg but I do remember the report.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:37 am

Didn't he commission the AD review which basically said there was a culture accepting of mediocrity or something to that effect?

I am almost 100% certain that is correct. Still wonder if he was just put in place to rock the entire UW boat and trim the fat...starting with academics, and was launched before he got to athletics. Conspiracy theory anyone?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:22 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:37 am

I am almost 100% certain that is correct. Still wonder if he was just put in place to rock the entire UW boat and trim the fat...starting with academics, and was launched before he got to athletics. Conspiracy theory anyone?
You might be right. Axman. It sure seems like the lack of football success is a symptom and not the underlying disease.

Our media needs to have the intestinal fortitude to question these types of topics.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

More real championships (men’s bball and football) than CSU
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:06 am More real championships (men’s bball and football) than CSU
Honestly, Fort Fart is a one hit wonder - before Sonny Lubick, they were poop....after Sonny Lubick, they have been poop!!!!

Rinse and repeat...Rinse and repeat.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
NewYooper
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

Also remember that not all teams compete in the Mountain West. Men's swimming is in the WAC. Wrestling is now in the Big 12. Previously they won a handful of championships in the Western Wrestling Conference. Yes, these are not Mountain West championships, but don't sell short what some of the UW teams have accomplished.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

NewYooper wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:29 pm Also remember that not all teams compete in the Mountain West. Men's swimming is in the WAC. Wrestling is now in the Big 12. Previously they won a handful of championships in the Western Wrestling Conference. Yes, these are not Mountain West championships, but don't sell short what some of the UW teams have accomplished.
First, this is not a knock on any student athlete or team nor should the AD be using them as sheilds from criticism.

In your estimation, has the AD as a whole performed well in the current iteration of the MWC (since 2013)?
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:17 pm
NewYooper wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:29 pm Also remember that not all teams compete in the Mountain West. Men's swimming is in the WAC. Wrestling is now in the Big 12. Previously they won a handful of championships in the Western Wrestling Conference. Yes, these are not Mountain West championships, but don't sell short what some of the UW teams have accomplished.
First, this is not a knock on any student athlete or team nor should the AD be using them as sheilds from criticism.

In your estimation, has the AD as a whole performed well in the current iteration of the MWC (since 2013)?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Yooper's post as a defense of Burman. I think you're connecting some dots that aren't there.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:42 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:17 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Yooper's post as a defense of Burman. I think you're connecting some dots that aren't there.
Sorry, didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to clarify I wasn't knocking the kids.

Separately, I was wondering what Yooper's opinion of the AD was.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 127 times

Wyokie wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:18 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:06 am More real championships (men’s bball and football) than CSU
Honestly, Fort Fart is a one hit wonder - before Sonny Lubick, they were Sh#t....after Sonny Lubick, they have been Sh#t!!!!

Rinse and repeat...Rinse and repeat.
and reading their forum they think they should be in a P5 conference, they believe they are above the MW. A bunch of arrogant a$$e$
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

1>0 is correct.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

Personally, though always good to see, csu's incompetence doesn't make me feel better about ours.

At the end of the day, we're both dogs. We're just more financially efficient dogs. *bball was not a dog last year and should be solid this year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:17 pm If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

Personally, though always good to see, csu's incompetence doesn't make me feel better about ours.

At the end of the day, we're both dogs. We're just more financially efficient dogs. *bball was not a dog last year and should be solid this year.
good observation Ragtime....

While it feels good to revel in the struggles of your rivals. It's not a great situation when your rivals are terrible. If the schools Wyoming is associated with (CSU, AFA, USU, etc) are doing well...that will bode well for Wyoming. If that group can't get out of their own way...that generally means that we are a part of a failed or failing cadre of institutions.

What Wyoming and the MWC is trying to achieve is pretty daunting IMO. I think you can plug and play a lot of leaders into Big10 and SEC institutions and they will pretty much have full stadiums and flush athletic budgets. There are a lot of structural things that those places have in their favor that the MWC level schools do not. We may not like the idea of any individual MWC non-Wyoming school doing better than us, but we absolutely should recognize that Wyoming needs to be a part of something that is considered strong in the aggregate.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Pathetic imo and being in Year 9 still not having a great feeling about this upcoming year really isn't reassuring. But hey we're W.Y.O. get and stay used to it
NewYooper
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

As an AD, I think Burman has had some goods and some bads. I support the whole athletic department (all of the men's and women's teams) and wish to see it do well. I like football and basketball, but not to the detriment of the other sports. In general, I tend to judge the athletics at any school by how well all of the teams do in their conference. Burman has done well in the Olympic sports (for example wrestling, volleyball, track and field). Has this required some money? Yes. Significant money? No. Would this money have suddenly turned the football or basketball team into world-beaters? No. Burman's track record in football and basketball: Christensen, not so good. Bohl, started out good, currently trending down. Schroyer, not so good. Shyatt, much better. Edwards, not so good. Linder better. I wish he had been quicker to pull the trigger on Schroyer and Edwards, but he wasn't. That is about a 50/50 record on coaching hires over the last 10 plus years. I think many schools would like that record. If you compare UW alumni numbers and giving potential to CSU, he looks to be doing pretty good. Regardless, is better still possible? Yes. More money always opens more options. I wish I had more money to give. In the big picture, UW needs to do better on fund raising, both in athletics and in academics. UW has never done a capital campaign (a standard tactic every 10 years at most schools). It is my understanding that the UW Foundation constantly loses advancement officers because of the low pay.