2022 expections

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:08 pm No this team doesn’t have the same defensive talent as the 2016 team. However neither did last years. The 2021 team held opponents to 23 points a game vs 34 points a game in 2016.

In a year 9 of Bohl’s defense I doubt his teams will start giving up 30 points per game. His defense is 3 deep at corner with 14 Sec and Big Ten starts between the transfers. I think pass rush could be good.

It comes down to offensive improvement and that starts with QB and running Running back. We have a running back, so this season hinges on how good Peasley can be.
One reason the 2016 defense gave up so many points was that the 2016 offense was so prolific causing the opponent to take chances to put points on the board. I don’t believe this year’s defense will give up 30 points per game mostly because I don’t expect this offense to be nearly as prolific.

Overall this is an inexperienced team unlikely to have close to the NFL talent of the 2016 team. I don’t personally see the 2016 comparisons but hope I’m wrong.
wypoke
Buckaroo

I drank Bohl's Kool-Aid too many years.
No confidence in his positive comments or optimism.
Sprinkle in no depth in the offensive line, real conservative play calling, old crony assistant coaches from Bohl's past, a make believe offensive coordinator, player injuries which may occur, coupled with Bohl's overall losing record at WYO leads me to believe we will experience another disappointing year.
I will skip the Kool- Aid this year.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I was never for Bohl. I thought Glenn was good. I thought Christensen should have had Brett Smith’s Senior year before being fired ( sounds like Smith was gone anyway so who cares). I stated Bohl was a bad hire as he would be Joe G. 2.0. I bought the koolaid in 16 and 17, but no later than that. He didn’t need to burn the team to the ground to get those results in previous years. He could have sought out transfers for Allen’s last year ( ie running back and WR).

He’s going to do fine this year because the conference sucks. Random teams have won the last two years. He has a good defense. Swen is the best RB in the conference. Peasley can hit a pass.

I’ve been wrong before but I am betting that Wyoming wins the division and the conference.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:02 pm I was never for Bohl. I thought Glenn was good. I thought Christensen should have had Brett Smith’s Senior year before being fired ( sounds like Smith was gone anyway so who cares). I stated Bohl was a bad hire as he would be Joe G. 2.0. I bought the koolaid in 16 and 17, but no later than that. He didn’t need to burn the team to the ground to get those results in previous years. He could have sought out transfers for Allen’s last year ( ie running back and WR).

He’s going to do fine this year because the conference sucks. Random teams have won the last two years. He has a good defense. Swen is the best RB in the conference. Peasley can hit a pass.

I’ve been wrong before but I am betting that Wyoming wins the division and the conference.
Bohl built a real program. Not Christensen’s smoke and mirrors. If Bohl wins the conference this year, then he will have put himself in the category of Wyoming’s best coaches of all time…but I personally see no way of this happening. Peasley’s career completion percentage is only slightly better than Sean Chambers…and Peasley was playing in a spread designed for shorter completions.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:02 pm I was never for Bohl. I thought Glenn was good. I thought Christensen should have had Brett Smith’s Senior year before being fired ( sounds like Smith was gone anyway so who cares). I stated Bohl was a bad hire as he would be Joe G. 2.0. I bought the koolaid in 16 and 17, but no later than that. He didn’t need to burn the team to the ground to get those results in previous years. He could have sought out transfers for Allen’s last year ( ie running back and WR).

I like your optimism. Good on you for thinking that way, I simply cannot, and my expectations are lower than they have ever been. I cannot forgive the embarrassing losses this HC has achieved (looking at you New Mexico, North Dakota, Eastern Michigan, etc., etc., etc.). I expect 3 wins. If we hit 6, well, that is exceeding my expectations, and likely Burman's as well - so welcome back 'ol Bohly, for year 10 in 2023. f-word.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:14 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:50 am I think it looks like 2016 year. Some bad games for sure. Better passing and Swen is going to look like Brian Hill. The offense won’t be as good or consistent as that year, but the defense will be better than 2016. So I am going to be optimistic.
Why would the defense be better? Here are some guys from the 2016 defense:
1) Eric Nzeocha
2) Logan Wilson
3) Lucas Wacha
4) Cassh Maluia
5) Rico Gafford
6) Marcus Epps
7) Tyler Hall
8) Andrew Wingard

The 2016 defense is similar in respect to a young team with a few veterans sprinkled in. Do you believe the current defensive roster matches the talent of the 2016 defense? I’m doubtful we have 8 guys on that side of the ball who can make it into an NFL training camp.
2016 defense mostly sucked
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:15 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:50 am I think it looks like 2016 year. Some bad games for sure. Better passing and Swen is going to look like Brian Hill. The offense won’t be as good or consistent as that year, but the defense will be better than 2016. So I am going to be optimistic.
1) Eric Nzeocha
2) Logan Wilson
3) Lucas Wacha
4) Cassh Maluia
5) Rico Gafford
6) Marcus Epps
7) Tyler Hall
8) Andrew Wingard

The 2016 defense is similar in respect to a young team with a few veterans sprinkled in. Do you believe the current defensive roster matches the talent of the 2016 defense? I’m doubtful we have 8 guys on that side of the ball who can make it into an NFL training camp.
It was not good at all. But it was loaded with NFL talent. Which is why the 2022 to 2016 comparison makes sense given the very similar makeup of young inexperienced players with a few veterans sprinkled in. It seems unlikely this 2022 defense team will match the talent of the 2016 team. Those just assuming the defense this year will be similar to recent years (where we had talent and experience) could be very mistaken. I’m predicting a big regression on the defensive side of the ball this year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:31 pm
1) Eric Nzeocha
2) Logan Wilson
3) Lucas Wacha
4) Cassh Maluia
5) Rico Gafford
6) Marcus Epps
7) Tyler Hall
8) Andrew Wingard

It was not good at all. But it was loaded with NFL talent. Which is why the 2022 to 2016 comparison makes sense given the very similar makeup of young inexperienced players with a few veterans sprinkled in. It seems unlikely this 2022 defense team will match the talent of the 2016 team. Those just assuming the defense this year will be similar to recent years (where we had talent and experience) could be very mistaken. I’m predicting a big regression on the defensive side of the ball this year.
I think the defense will be solid as usual
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

1) Eric Nzeocha
2) Logan Wilson
3) Lucas Wacha
4) Cassh Maluia
5) Rico Gafford
6) Marcus Epps
7) Tyler Hall
8) Andrew Wingard

It didn't start the year bad. But we lost Chase Appleby to a season ending injury after the Boise St. win. I think we lost Granderson to a season ending injury in the Air Force game. We didn't have those 2 when we gave up 70 to UNLV and 50 something to New Mexico. Our D-line really struggled after we lost those 2.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:33 am I cannot forgive the embarrassing losses this HC has achieved
Ok, but which Wyoming HC HASN'T had embarrassing losses? Glenn also dropped ugly games to UNM, UNLV. Christensen had his fair share of bad losses. Dimel got smoked by UNLV, a bad SDSU team, and an awful Tulsa team. Tiller lost to a Big West San Joser and a bad Tulsa team as well. Hell, even Paul Freaking Roach lost to a 3-win Washington State team by double digits.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

This team will win 8 games. We actually have a decent qb and that makes all the difference.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

6-6 cuz we are W.Y.O.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

My online sports app ( Caesar's) has Wyoming's season win total (over/under) at 5 games. csewe is at 5.5 games. CU win total at 3 games. As a prior poster wrote, if Bohl gets to 6, then he is safe, and maybe even extended, for another year or 2.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:17 pm My online sports app ( Caesar's) has Wyoming's season win total (over/under) at 5 games. csewe is at 5.5 games. CU win total at 3 games. As a prior poster wrote, if Bohl gets to 6, then he is safe, and maybe even extended, for another year or 2.
I know it is early in Fall camp, but the reporting that is forming up around our offensive line is very concerning. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. 5 wins is a pipe dream until the offensive line is addressed. It doesn't matter how much better Peasley is than Williams if he is getting smoked before he has a chance to make a play. And if our backs are getting hit 2 yards deep most plays, it will be a VERY long year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:41 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:17 pm My online sports app ( Caesar's) has Wyoming's season win total (over/under) at 5 games. csewe is at 5.5 games. CU win total at 3 games. As a prior poster wrote, if Bohl gets to 6, then he is safe, and maybe even extended, for another year or 2.
I know it is early in Fall camp, but the reporting that is forming up around our offensive line is very concerning. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. 5 wins is a pipe dream until the offensive line is addressed. It doesn't matter how much better Peasley is than Williams if he is getting smoked before he has a chance to make a play. And if our backs are getting hit 2 yards deep most plays, it will be a VERY long year.
How much of it is the bad o linemen or the playcalling? Opposing defenses can just pin their ears back and come at us all while putting 8 or 9 in the box each play.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:18 pm
LawPoke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:41 pm
How much of it is the bad o linemen or the playcalling? Opposing defenses can just pin their ears back and come at us all while putting 8 or 9 in the box each play.
9-10 in the box is hard for any lineman to handle, especially when the defense knows what is likely to be called. 5 stars at Bama would struggle against those odds. Watching the CSU game last year - where they played 2 high safety all game - they made plays and opened holes showing that they do have skill. But all too often, in the run and pass games, our linemen were flat beaten. They were caught flat-footed and exhibited ugly technique - and it showed. Both the play calling and players have to become significantly better in order for us to win even 5 games this coming year, IMHO. I hope I am dead wrong.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

https://7220sports.com/pokes-practice-r ... yNH3uQcXfo

Is the defense the 85 Bears or is the offense that bad? I’ve come to my own conclusions…
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Over on CSU is a good bet. Yuck. Hate saying that.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:00 pm https://7220sports.com/pokes-practice-r ... yNH3uQcXfo

Is the defense the 85 Bears or is the offense that bad? I’ve come to my own conclusions…
Even he knows this year. But I'm glad he doesn't trash his current players at least.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:00 pm https://7220sports.com/pokes-practice-r ... yNH3uQcXfo

Even he knows this year. But I'm glad he doesn't trash his current players at least.
Technically a development team theoretically should never be one of the youngest teams in cfb. I thought that was interesting.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.