2022 expections

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wypoke
Buckaroo

I agree with Oredigger's comment.
Bohl continues to talk about the defense, but the best the defense can do is keep us in games.
What about the offense?
Peasley may be an improvement at QB, but will he be a difference maker? I doubt it, especially if he is constantly under duress. If he becomes injured what will be the performance drop-off with our backup QB? We will definitely become a more one dimensional team.
The starting offensive line sounds decent, but you know injuries are going to occur. It sounds like our backup offensive lineman are marginal. The "hog bodies" up front are the ones that make things happen.
Running backs appear to be good, however, against a loaded box and marginal offensive line play, getting hit while in the back field will negate their talent.
How many different offensive line coaches have we had in recent years? No one seems to speak about this. It seems to me that really sound successful teams have had long term offensive line coaches.
How good is our offensive coordinator? I have not been impressed so far. In his defense, being forced to become a one dimensional team because of QB play, injuries and Bohl's philosophy it is difficult to answer this question.
As I previously predicted our record will be 3-9.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:00 pm
bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:00 pm https://7220sports.com/pokes-practice-r ... yNH3uQcXfo

Is the defense the 85 Bears or is the offense that bad? I’ve come to my own conclusions…
Even he knows this year. But I'm glad he doesn't trash his current players at least.
Technically a development team theoretically should never be one of the youngest teams in cfb. I thought that was interesting.
The 3 youngest team in CFB are all MWC teams (Wyo, Nevada, Hawaii) and each had significant transfer portal departures. Nevada and Hawaii had head coach changes. We were just poached in the portal with about 10 players ending up at ‘P5’ programs; we have to change our approach.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:02 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:00 pm https://7220sports.com/pokes-practice-r ... yNH3uQcXfo

Is the defense the 85 Bears or is the offense that bad? I’ve come to my own conclusions…
Even he knows this year. But I'm glad he doesn't trash his current players at least.
Technically a development team theoretically should never be one of the youngest teams in cfb. I thought that was interesting.
The 3 youngest team in CFB are all MWC teams (Wyo, Nevada, Hawaii) and each had significant transfer portal departures. Nevada and Hawaii had head coach changes. We were just poached in the portal with about 10 players ending up at ‘P5’ programs; we have to change our approach.
I think Coach Bohl was being a callous jerk the past few years. He's admitted it, basically. I think that was a lot of the transfer issue.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:32 am

I think Coach Bohl was being a callous jerk the past few years. He's admitted it, basically. I think that was a lot of the transfer issue.
I don't know. The large majority of transfers from us moved on to 'P5' programs. I don't think that Bohl being Mr. Rogers would be able to combat that.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:35 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:32 am

I don't know. The large majority of transfers from us moved on to 'P5' programs. I don't think that Bohl being Mr. Rogers would be able to combat that.
It'll be an interesting cycle to watch. Now we are forced to play a lot of young players which gets them exposure which could open doors for transfer. You might be right. Last year might of kicked off a vicious cycle.

Lander is not wrong either, I don't think. The COVID thing was tough on a lot of people. I think the QB room fallout was a testament to Bohl's attitude the last couple of years. Both the lure of the P5 and a what seemed like a weird locker room situation (COVID remnant? Bohl?) contributed to a massive transfer.

Either that, or we have the worst coaching staff in the MWC. If we had the most transfers out (other than coaching changes) and most transfers went to P5, either our coaches suck at maintaining players or we had more P5 talent than other teams and should have won a lot more games.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:44 am It'll be an interesting cycle to watch. Now we are forced to play a lot of young players which gets them exposure which could open doors for transfer. You might be right. Last year might of kicked off a vicious cycle.

Lander is not wrong either, I don't think. The COVID thing was tough on a lot of people. I think the QB room fallout was a testament to Bohl's attitude the last couple of years. Both the lure of the P5 and a what seemed like a weird locker room situation (COVID remnant? Bohl?) contributed to a massive transfer.

Either that, or we have the worst coaching staff in the MWC. If we had the most transfers out (other than coaching changes) and most transfers went to P5, either our coaches suck at maintaining players or we had more P5 talent than other teams and should have won a lot more games.
The direction things are heading...it probably won't matter how well Bohl (or his replacement) is liked. If a guy can bounce to P5 program and make some NIL $$...it's going to happen.

When it comes to transfers leaving programs...this new world with increasingly frictionless player movement between programs will be very interesting. I think the old way, where players were very limited in transferring between programs was not great because coaches who may not have had the players best interest in mind, had too much control. On the plus side, under that system, players that were overlooked could shine for a whole college career at Wyoming with relatively little chance of them transferring to a bigger program.

If you remove NIL $ and the transfer restrictions....the only reason to transfer would be for a chance to play for a national championship ... very unrealistic at any non-P5 school. I think you would still get more transfers than before, but I don't think a great player at Wyoming would get overlooked for a professional career...

As far as the coaches...I don't think they are the worst staff in the MWC...definitely not the best either. I continue to believe that the difference between a "high talent" MWC team and a "low talent" MWC team is less important than coaching. These are teams with, on average:
  • 0-5 draftable players
  • 0-5 UFA practice squad guys
  • non-P5 level players filling out the rest of the roster
Do the most talented MWC teams even have double that? If they did....how much difference would it make against a better coached team (see AFA)?

I think that no matter what the talent level does at Wyoming (within reason)...the salient difference in long term results is coaching. Bohl is solidly unspectacular. I predict we are headed into a string of 4-6 win seasons finishing in the middle of the mountain division year after year.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

The direction things are heading...it probably won't matter how well Bohl (or his replacement) is liked. If a guy can bounce to P5 program and make some NIL $$...it's going to happen.

When it comes to transfers leaving programs...this new world with increasingly frictionless player movement between programs will be very interesting. I think the old way, where players were very limited in transferring between programs was not great because coaches who may not have had the players best interest in mind, had too much control. On the plus side, under that system, players that were overlooked could shine for a whole college career at Wyoming with relatively little chance of them transferring to a bigger program.

If you remove NIL $ and the transfer restrictions....the only reason to transfer would be for a chance to play for a national championship ... very unrealistic at any non-P5 school. I think you would still get more transfers than before, but I don't think a great player at Wyoming would get overlooked for a professional career...

As far as the coaches...I don't think they are the worst staff in the MWC...definitely not the best either. I continue to believe that the difference between a "high talent" MWC team and a "low talent" MWC team is less important than coaching. These are teams with, on average:
  • 0-5 draftable players
Do the most talented MWC teams even have double that? If they did....how much difference would it make against a better coached team (see AFA)?

I think that no matter what the talent level does at Wyoming (within reason)...the salient difference in long term results is coaching. Bohl is solidly unspectacular. I predict we are headed into a string of 4-6 win seasons finishing in the middle of the mountain division year after year.
I was just observing that if we had the most transfers in MWC to P5 schools (sans coaching changes), then that can only mean a couple of things. 1) student athletes will always choose to transfer from the MWC to a P5 school and we had more talent able to transfer. If this is the case, we grossly underperformed. OR 2) we have less talent (as is the dogma) but lost a greater percentage of our P5-level athletes than other MWC schools which indicates, well, you know.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:28 am

• 0-5 draftable players

I was just observing that if we had the most transfers in MWC to P5 schools (sans coaching changes), then that can only mean a couple of things. 1) student athletes will always choose to transfer from the MWC to a P5 school and we had more talent able to transfer. If this is the case, we grossly underperformed. OR 2) we have less talent (as is the dogma) but lost a greater percentage of our P5-level athletes than other MWC schools which indicates, well, you know.
I agree that it could mean those two things...but I don't agree that those two are the only explanations...or that they are exclusive of each other.

Also...the characterization of our talent level being such that we have "grossly underperformed" is something that I disagree with. As I have attempted to explain in other threads...even with the supposed embarrassment of riches in talent that Bohl has had, I believe that differences in coaching style and ability is the key difference between success and failure at Wyoming. The one caveat I could be conviced of is the QB position. I don't think that the MWC talent distribution explains why some programs always do better than others...Or that a particular coach at Wyoming does better than another.

Anyways...my views on how talent level is overblown when analyzing in-conference performance are well documented..no need to re-hash here.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

https://7220sports.com/bohl-sees-greatn ... &fs=e&s=cl

You have to be confident in your team. But talk about a championship banner with this young team makes me cringe. It just brings back bad memories of Joe Glenn’s promise that we would best Utah…and we all know how that turned out.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Glad I'm not the only one. I thought he learned his lesson last year. He certainly toned it back, but he just can't help himself can he.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:48 am https://7220sports.com/bohl-sees-greatn ... &fs=e&s=cl

You have to be confident in your team. But talk about a championship banner with this young team makes me cringe. It just brings back bad memories of Joe Glenn’s promise that we would best Utah…and we all know how that turned out.
After reading that, I think Bohl has a career as a politician if he wants it. My god, what a load of bull poop. He's sniffed a championship one time since he's been here and that was with several NFL caliber players and an all world QB. Sorry, Craig, I'm not buying what you're selling. I still say the ceiling is 4 wins this year, but could be as low as 1 or 2.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:48 am https://7220sports.com/bohl-sees-greatn ... &fs=e&s=cl

Ok, I'm breaking from the above posts. I like it. Alumni/fan engagement event all decked out. We need more of that.

I'm also ok with the rah rah stiff. The goal and talk for the team should be championships prior to the season. The goals may adjust during season but you gotta start with some enthusiasm.

Good for you Coach Bohl; now keep it up. Good event. Keep engaging fans and building that part of the program. Fan engagement has been faltering and I commend you for making the effort to remedy it.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Reading the quotes I am with Bohl when he is saying we need to be hanging some banners and that he sees greatness in his team. That is all good and what I want from a coach at an event like this.

That a banner is just around the corner, ehh, we shall see I have heard that song and dance before.

My expectations going into this year 2-4 wins (Northern Colorado, then maybe three more from the Tulsa, AFA, SJSU, CSU, USU). I don't see Wyo winning at Illinois, at BYU, at Hawaii, vs Boise, at Fresno, and I think UNM continues their success verse Wyoming. This is a young team, so I am looking at the attitudes and effort on the field and sideline. If I see growth and improvement through this season in the players and coaches and the team grow and gel into a true team that is something to build on. Start to see division and fracturing and the team coming apart that is a clear sign Wyoming needs to make some changes.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I see nothing wrong with bohls comments.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:28 am I see nothing wrong with bohls comments.
I wouldn't say I see anything wrong with what he said. A bit of an eye-roll sort of reaction to the around the corner comment is all from me. That written, I would absolutely not want Bohl saying things along the lines of what I wrote about my expectations for this season. The Pokes need to be going into that Illinois game thinking they can execute, do their job, compete, play hard, and win.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming comes in at #94 ahead of 4 other MWC teams (SJSU, Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada) in CBS pre-season ranking:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... s-ranking/
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I can see anywhere from 2-10 to 8-4.

I'm hoping for 6-6, but this feels like a 4-5 win team.

Even if Peasley is decent, who is he throwing to? I will believe in the passing game when I see it. :?
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

evilpoke wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:12 pm I can see anywhere from 2-10 to 8-4.

I'm hoping for 6-6, but this feels like a 4-5 win team.

Even if Peasley is decent, who is he throwing to? I will believe in the passing game when I see it. :?
My thought is how long till we see a different QB if Peasly isn't cutting it?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:00 am
McPeachy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:33 am I cannot forgive the embarrassing losses this HC has achieved
Ok, but which Wyoming HC HASN'T had embarrassing losses? Glenn also dropped ugly games to UNM, UNLV. Christensen had his fair share of bad losses. Dimel got smoked by UNLV, a bad SDSU team, and an awful Tulsa team. Tiller lost to a Big West San Joser and a bad Tulsa team as well. Hell, even Paul Freaking Roach lost to a 3-win Washington State team by double digits.
In my life? Not sure that any coach has laid a bigger turd than losing at home to NORTH f-word DAKOTA 24 - 13 in 2015. Add on the next week drubbing by Eastern Michigan
48 - 29, and a throttling by App State 31-13 a few weeks after that. Worst season ever. Worst losses ever. Still pisses me off obviously.

Yes, you are correct, all UW coaches have dropped games they shouldn't, but not to that disgusting level. At least Glenn's teams didn't poop their collective pants going up against Pee5 schools (looking at Ole Miss, Varginia, Tennessee, UCLA).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:01 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:00 am
McPeachy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:33 am I cannot forgive the embarrassing losses this HC has achieved
Ok, but which Wyoming HC HASN'T had embarrassing losses? Glenn also dropped ugly games to UNM, UNLV. Christensen had his fair share of bad losses. Dimel got smoked by UNLV, a bad SDSU team, and an awful Tulsa team. Tiller lost to a Big West San Joser and a bad Tulsa team as well. Hell, even Paul Freaking Roach lost to a 3-win Washington State team by double digits.
In my life? Not sure that any coach has laid a bigger turd than losing at home to NORTH f##k[#] DAKOTA 24 - 13 in 2015. Add on the next week drubbing by Eastern Michigan
48 - 29, and a throttling by App State 31-13 a few weeks after that. Worst season ever. Worst losses ever. Still pisses me off obviously.

Yes, you are correct, all UW coaches have dropped games they shouldn't, but not to that disgusting level. At least Glenn's teams didn't Sh#t their collective pants going up against Pee5 schools (looking at Ole Miss, Varginia, Tennessee, UCLA).
I've never been so dejected as after that North Dakota loss. We were manhandled and were lucky to score the points we did. The EMU loss was almost as galling.