2 commits

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:49 am
Cornpoke wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:28 am The last 40+years of Wyoming football has not been great in terms of success. Perhaps this new era of College football could be the opportunity for UW to change that. Sure it's a long shot but... Only so many players can start for a P5 team. Don't waste time on HS recruits, period. It's not to our benefit to feed P5 schools. Work it the other way around, feed off the P5 portal. Establish recruiting strategies for the portal and some sort of NIL to take advantage of the changing dynamic of CFB. What UW has been doing for the past 40 years isn't working, worth swinging for the fences and trying something different.
Agree 100%, and basically said the same above. Plug and play - give it a shot, and like you mentioned - it is NOT TO OUR BENEFIT TO FEED P5 SCHOOLS. Why recruit and pay for somebody to RS one year, play the next, and transfer out with 3 years eligibility left? All that does is cost UW a ton of money, likely producing poor results. It is a simple turnover calculation, that anyone that has ever been involved in HR would clearly understand and agree with! Somebody has to have done the math at UW on this...right?
As this conversation has evolved...I think my opinion on HS vs Portal players is evolving as well. What is the cost of nearly giving up on HS recruiting and going hard into the portal? It's not like we are loaded with talent that has come to us via HS recruiting. On the margins, I would say that the main cost is giving up on the Logan Wilson's or Ryan McGuffey type players. Maybe maintain a front range HS recruiting network and go with transfers for the rest? (somebody else mentioned this)

As it pertains to the rest of the discussion on this thread about how attractive Laramie is as a destination...I think the appeal of the University of Wyoming may actually grow as high school recruits mature. For example...a great HS player goes to some school and either through immaturity or poor fit applies for transfer. Whatever the reason for the transfer, that player has generally matured somewhat and is looking for a situation where he/she can succeed. I can actually see a world here where Bohl succeeds in this environment...no matter what his comments have been regarding transfers vs HS recruits.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ide-deals/

I hope we don’t do this and get involved in the arms race. I’d rather we just drop football or even go to division 2 RMAC. For those that think the future will have much to do with coaching…it will be completely about how much the players are paid.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:51 am https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ide-deals/

I hope we don’t do this and get involved in the arms race. I’d rather we just drop football or even go to division 2 RMAC. For those that think the future will have much to do with coaching…it will be completely about how much the players are paid.
Wow...That is impressive.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:17 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:51 am https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ide-deals/

It will eventually be a minimum of $100K per player and walk on at the top programs. Wyoming won’t be stealing the back up or even the third stringer at Ohio State. The MWC will be a minor league for the Bigger conferences whose teams will be run like professional teams.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:26 am

It will eventually be a minimum of $100K per player and walk on at the top programs. Wyoming won’t be stealing the back up or even the third stringer at Ohio State. The MWC will be a minor league for the Bigger conferences whose teams will be run like professional teams.
All depends on how the split happens and what rules are put in place.

Since us leftovers will have very little TV money, perhaps the NIL and transfer rules can be more tightly regulated.

I personally think that when the split happens, and it is happening, us leftovers need a rule that if you ever signed with a power 3 (speculating here), you are ineligible to sign with any team in the leftover league. Similar to how you can't sign with NFL then come back to college.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:25 am

Since us leftovers will have very little TV money, perhaps the NIL and transfer rules can be more tightly regulated.

I personally think that when the split happens, and it is happening, us leftovers need a rule that if you ever signed with a power 3 (speculating here), you are ineligible to sign with any team in the leftover league. Similar to how you can't sign with NFL then come back to college.
Those rules would seem to violate the very basis of the courts telling the NCAA that their rules were unlawful. I.e. antitrust and a player’s right to profit off their own name, image and likeness.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

I think it will end up being a one year deal to get big names to sign, and then they renegotiate their NIL based on playing time or performance after that. Boosters or marketers aren't going to pay for 3rd string players.

As far as conferences go, we'll end up being in the second tier instead of the third tier. There will be the B1G and the SEC, and then everyone else. Right now there's the B1G and SEC and the top tier schools from the other 3 who still have big budgets and donors (Oregon, Clemson, ASU, OKstate, Stanford, etc), then the leftovers who profit from being in the second tier conferences (Kansas St, Wake Forest, NC State, Washington St, Oregon St, BC, Cincinnati, etc), and then the MWC, AAC, etc. We'll move up a spot when the ACC, Big 12, and PAC lower level schools lose their conference tv money. We'll compete pretty well with those guys.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:27 am

Those rules would seem to violate the very basis of the courts telling the NCAA that their rules were unlawful. I.e. antitrust and a player’s right to profit off their own name, image and likeness.
Perhaps. However, I don't think the courts ruled they had to have unrestricted NIL. I'm no lawyer but I would guess there are loopholes to allow some level of moderation.

The other rule is not illegal or transfer rules would not exist. Simply not allowing transfers down is acceptable. Athletes can decide if the risk of trying to ride the bench at P3 is worth it or not. Once they sign there, it's their only option other than the pros.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:57 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:27 am

Perhaps. However, I don't think the courts ruled they had to have unrestricted NIL. I'm no lawyer but I would guess there are loopholes to allow some level of moderation.

The other rule is not illegal or transfer rules would not exist. Simply not allowing transfers down is acceptable. Athletes can decide if the risk of trying to ride the bench at P3 is worth it or not. Once they sign there, it's their only option other than the pros.
I believe an absolute bar on transfers down would almost certainly violate antitrust laws (Section 1 of the Sherman Act). Courts have basically already said as such. Courts have held that NCAA restraints are to be assessed under ‘a fact specific assessment of market power and market structure aimed at assessing the challenged restraint’s actual effect on competition…’ Given the recent Alston decision, I can’t personally see the NCAA or any governing body adopting such a restriction and opening the door to treble damages under the Sherman Act. I’ve been wrong before but I would be shocked.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

The NCAA is dead or will die in CFB. Antitrust is within a market. The P3 will clearly be in a separate market. Just as a kid can't sign with the NFL then go back to college, the competitive league of the leftovers can set competitive boundaries. Student athletes would have the P3 market available to make more money if they choose and are able.

The leftovers may have a hard time restricting transfer within their market.

In other words, I doubt it is clear cut. That said congressional legislation is probably coming so college athletics can be governed outside of Sherman Act.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Cheap SOB supporters. $25k doesn't even get you in the "fight for $15" stratosphere :D