Athlon not buying what Bohl is selling

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... redictions

It will be interesting to see if this year's WYO squad can outperform predictions. I too think the D will be solid.

Bohl just can't seem to field an offense even against terrible defenses and weak schedules. I sure hope he can eventually put both sides of the ball together and make a heck of a run. Unless he stumbles on a Josh Allen, I won't hold my breath.

I'm hoping like heck this projection is wrong, but there is a lot of turnover on an already bad offense. I guess the upside is the offense really couldn't get a lot worse from a statistical standpoint.

The other thing, and I guess I knew the POKES weren't great against the run, but I didn't pay attention to the overall rankings. The article is right; that has to improve.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't think any of us are buying it any longer. I have that same feeling I had towards the end of the Glenn era, I really wanted it to work. I personally love Bohl's approach: physical power football and solid defense. The old Nebraska way... that used to win games but football has evolved and its time we get a Coach who can evolve as well.
I'm good for 3!
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

I’ve not been this “meh” for football season in a very long time.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Subcanis wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:47 pm I’ve not been this “meh” for football season in a very long time.
These are the types of years that have left us surprised in the past - where nothing is expected and they play their guts out to win. This said, I am not confident in this year's team. I see a 3 or 4 win season.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think there are some decent pieces on this team and I think Peasely is an upgrade at QB. Swen is going to be good. I think the team will beat expectations (more than 7 wins).

That being said I don’t see any reason to continue with Bohl if he doesn’t produce a championship.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Nobody is buying what he is selling. It will be the same ole sh#t on offense. 5-7 likely hopefully we can go 6-6
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

It's going to get ugly...Wyoming generally lays an egg when expectations are high and over-performs when predictions are bad....but I think it's too obvious now. Bohl tries to field a disciplined team that doesn't turn it over and doesn't take chances. I don't know how you increase the ceiling with just that.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Devil's advocate here....maybe the high turnover is good? When you are just bad or average at best...why is turnover necessarily bad?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Looking at the roster turnover and the unknowns at every position but probably running back, I’d find it hard to rank Wyoming over UNM in the pre-season. So I guess Athlon gave us that.

The expectations weren’t exactly very high for 2016 so there is hope but I’m with those in the 3-4 win camp being the more likely scenario with the possibility of a complete Koenning level collapse. As I say, please prove me wrong.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:02 am Devil's advocate here....maybe the high turnover is good? When you are just bad or average at best...why is turnover necessarily bad?
The majority of players replacing departing players were on the roster last year. One would have to assume that the coaching staff can typically identify the better players who are given playing time.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I remember when I thought our crap offense was Brent Vigen's fault.
wypoke
Buckaroo

Very frustrated POKE fan here. Craig Bohl is a dud. ..kind of like that used car salesman in most any town with the credo "right on the corner, right on the price." His losing record seems to not muster much concern from Tom Burman, the university president or the board of trustees. I don't anticipate that will change.
The revolving door of offensive line coaches should be telling sign of problems within Bohl's program.
Let's see if a 3 win season, plus a hammering by Colorado State warrants another extension of Bohl's contract. My guess is Bohl will skate again...like a cat always landing on his feet and having nine lives.
Like I said my frustration level is so high that for the first time in 57 years of attending POKE games and many long distant away games, several east of the Mississippi River, I am exasperated. I still love the POKES, but Bohl has killed my enthusiasm.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:47 am I remember when I thought our crap offense was Brent Vigen's fault.
:rofl: me too, man. The first legal forward pass was 1906 I think. Nearly 120 years later, the concept is yet to be discovered on the high plains of Laramie.

From reading the comments, if there was ever a year to overperform, this is it.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

In the last 20 years, I've been pleasantly surprised 2 times. After a horrible year, ACS jumps ship and we are predicted to finish last. Brett Smith steps in and we go 5-2 in the conference. Josh's sophomore year was the other pleasant surprise.

The only pleasant surprise I can envision now is a new football coach.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:47 am I remember when I thought our crap offense was Brent Vigen's fault.
This belief always shocked me. I said Vigen is running the offense Bohl wants. The schemes of this team are foundation-ally, Bohls schemes.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

Athlon has Goat Ewe predicted over us. Don’t see it, not buying it. Boise St isn’t the power they were either. I guess we’ll see.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

I kinda figured they'd stick the Pokes here with this many questions on the team. Looking at this schedule I think 4-8 is about right unless this USU transfer is the real deal and Bohl completely turns the reins over to the OC. So much uncertainty and too many unknowns. As others have said, this is the most "meh" I've felt in a while.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:22 pm Athlon has Goat Ewe predicted over us. Don’t see it, not buying it. Boise St isn’t the power they were either. I guess we’ll see.
How would you rank the mountain division then?

My predicted finish:

1. AFA
2. BSU
3. CSU (this hurts but I think they have finally gotten it right with Norvell)
4. WYO
5. USU
6. UNM
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

307bball wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:47 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:22 pm Athlon has Goat Ewe predicted over us. Don’t see it, not buying it. Boise St isn’t the power they were either. I guess we’ll see.

My predicted finish:

1. AFA
2. BSU
4. WYO
5. USU
6. UNM
lol. Sheep at three and usu at 5? lmao
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:02 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:47 am

My predicted finish:

1. AFA
2. BSU
4. WYO
5. USU
6. UNM
lol. Sheep at three and usu at 5? lmao
It may be my brown and gold glasses that puts us at #4 in the division, I can see us finishing 5th (or lower) but I can't imagine we would get to #3. As far as CSU and USU. I think they are going in different directions. I predict them to be the surprise teams.