Spring game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:14 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:08 pm Meh, Bohl has been mediocre at best other than when Josh was at QB. Good tough kids and consistent program but largely mediocre.

NIL and transfer probably won't effect Bohl much unless he stumbles upon another Josh (who might transfer) which I don't think he will in the remainder of his time here.
Huh? Are you saying it doesn’t matter because we won’t lose players to bigger P5 schools? Were you asleep over the winter? Neyor is also a generational talent…
We'll lose players. So will every other mwc program.

I'm saying Bohl has been largely mediocre without Josh Allen, and I don't think another Josh is in the cards at WYO during Bohl's remaining tenure. The mediocre hurdle isn't that high but is better than atrocious (Bohl's first 2 years). He'll be able to win 5 to 7 games per year even in this new era. He would have won 5 to 7 games per year if there were no changes in cfb. I don't see him regressing back to his first 2 years and it is becoming obvious the championship talk was snake oil unless you have a Josh. So yeah, I don't think there are drastic changes in the Bohl trajectory.

Long-term impacts on cfb as a whole could be huge. Realignment? P5 breakaway? Other? These will happen regardless of who coaches at WYO. Our stage is set; we just have to see what plays out.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:01 am
I'm not a sanguine about NIL and free player movement as you appear to be. If the quoted statement is true, and the player loss is equal, I think that is pretty close to a best case scenario (there are better case scenarios but they are laughably implausible).

I think this shifts the competitive balance away from Wyoming even within the confines of the MWC. I'm not saying it is some sort of slam dunk...it's still close. I predict that the flow of talent, in general will be away from the MWC as a whole .... and within the MWC, certain programs will have greater problems with that than others. My prediction is that Wyoming will be a bottom half program in the MWC for the foreseeable future due to this.

I still see myself attending games and watching games on TV ... maybe this is just an emotional hedge so that when we hit the mediocre line I'll be able to be excited about it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

307bball wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:51 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:01 am
I'm not a sanguine about NIL and free player movement as you appear to be. If the quoted statement is true, and the player loss is equal, I think that is pretty close to a best case scenario (there are better case scenarios but they are laughably implausible).

I think this shifts the competitive balance away from Wyoming even within the confines of the MWC. I'm not saying it is some sort of slam dunk...it's still close. I predict that the flow of talent, in general will be away from the MWC as a whole .... and within the MWC, certain programs will have greater problems with that than others. My prediction is that Wyoming will be a bottom half program in the MWC for the foreseeable future due to this.

I still see myself attending games and watching games on TV ... maybe this is just an emotional hedge so that when we hit the mediocre line I'll be able to be excited about it.
The biggest threat to leave for NIL are the Neyor types. We typically have fewer of those than the teams consistently vying for MWC championships. Any MWC team is likely to lose those types of players. After that will be the kids who are not a fit and will move laterally, closer to home, or more than likely step down a division or not get signed at all. We may have a few more of these types transfer than our conference mates but the overall impact on wins will be minimal. I also expect the movement of the "not a fit" group to stabilize and lessen because most of them didn't get signed when looking at the portal as a whole. At the end of the day, they are guys that aren't getting big NIL deals and are using football to get through college. Relative to conference peers, UW is strong in non-foorball areas to set up for a successful career. These kids are already inked and set to get most or all of their degree paid for. Entering the transfer portal loses that security and this year taught thousands that lesson.

We'll see this year. Should be a nearly worst case scenario for the impacts of the portal. If I'm right, we'll chug along at 5 to 7 wins.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

The Neyor type transfers will even happen to mid tier p5 programs and they will flow to top tier. If you’re not one of 12 teams and you have an obvious generational talent, they are going to leave and get paid. I also think that QB and WR are particularly prone to this due to the nature of football at the moment. It’s possible that DE could also fall into this category. I wish the top 16 or so teams would just break away already and let everyone else make some real rules regulating all this crap and we can get back to college football.
W-Y, Until I Die!