Bohl and Secrecy

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Does anyone else find the level of cloak and dagger in the Spring and during the year surrounding practice and media and fan access to be laughable? I'd understand the secrecy if you had some new ideas or concepts to hide, but any opponent that doesn't know exactly what is coming when they play us should lose solely due to incompetence. Then again, if I had the hand that I think Bohl has for 2022, I'd keep it close to my chest too...bluffs don't work otherwise.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

It's annoying to be sure. Everyone knows what he's going to do on offense and defense. I'm not sure why he won't let the media in more to generate some excitement.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:56 am Does anyone else find the level of cloak and dagger in the Spring and during the year surrounding practice and media and fan access to be laughable? I'd understand the secrecy if you had some new ideas or concepts to hide, but any opponent that doesn't know exactly what is coming when they play us should lose solely due to incompetence. Then again, if I had the hand that I think Bohl has for 2022, I'd keep it close to my chest too...bluffs don't work otherwise.
I agree. It is senseless. There are no surprises to what we are going to do. All it serves to do is alienate the fanbase. I also believe that players might actually appreciate coverage and interest in spring ball as a way to generate enthusiasm for the program.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:01 pm
LawPoke wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:56 am Does anyone else find the level of cloak and dagger in the Spring and during the year surrounding practice and media and fan access to be laughable? I'd understand the secrecy if you had some new ideas or concepts to hide, but any opponent that doesn't know exactly what is coming when they play us should lose solely due to incompetence. Then again, if I had the hand that I think Bohl has for 2022, I'd keep it close to my chest too...bluffs don't work otherwise.
I agree. It is senseless. There are no surprises to what we are going to do. All it serves to do is alienate the fanbase. I also believe that players might actually appreciate coverage and interest in spring ball as a way to generate enthusiasm for the program.
Or potentially generate some NIL deals for themselves
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I completely agree. It's obnoxious, but if Bohl is anything it is consistent. And in this case, he's probably making the best decision as far as he is concerned. Maybe not the best decision for the team, or the fanbase and media though. There's either one of two things happening. Either A) Nothing has changed on offense and we still suck and its better to keep that hidden or B) were gonna pull an actual functional offense out of our rear end and no one in their right mind will see it coming.

If I was a betting man, I'd go with A. Hoping for B and that Bohls been beat up enough about the offense to open up his mind a little bit and try to find something else that can actually work.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

The idle fan won't really care to go watch a practice. The difference would be the excitement that could be generated in the local media. Right now, the only earned media the AD gets is video of Bohl after a practice. If the media could write stories based on what they saw, there would be a lot more out there. And, while I mean no offense to our media in this state and region, I can't imagine that the stories would be hard-hitting, beat up the coach and team sorts of columns. My guess is that it would be a pretty benign love-offensive unleashed every day.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:05 pm Secrecy isn't fooling ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-football/f ... k/dir/desc
Needless media deprivation. When the only thing WYO fans are talking about during Spring football is Wyoming basketball, it portends a lack of excitement in the Fall for football. I have a fairly expansive set of Poke fans as friends and the lack of enthusiasm for football right now is as pronounced as I have ever experienced with them. Between the style of ball Bohl plays and his defiant, "screw you I'm doing it my way and if you don't like it go to hell" persona, they are increasingly disillusioned. And when there is practically no build up of excitement through the media - except for the few tortured stories that they can eek out of the staff and players - that disillusionment will turn to disengagement soon enough.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LawPoke wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 am

Needless media deprivation. When the only thing WYO fans are talking about during Spring football is Wyoming basketball, it portends a lack of excitement in the Fall for football. I have a fairly expansive set of Poke fans as friends and the lack of enthusiasm for football right now is as pronounced as I have ever experienced with them. Between the style of ball Bohl plays and his defiant, "screw you I'm doing it my way and if you don't like it go to hell" persona, they are increasingly disillusioned. And when there is practically no build up of excitement through the media - except for the few tortured stories that they can eek out of the staff and players - that disillusionment will turn to disengagement soon enough.
Is it worse now then the last two years of DC? My circle of pokes fan friend was totally checked out pretty hard during that time.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:42 pm
LawPoke wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 am

Is it worse now then the last two years of DC? My circle of pokes fan friend was totally checked out pretty hard during that time.
And most of the stories coming out aren't much more than making a story out of the short post practice interviews. There are so many open positions, there could be a lot of stories to come out and a lot of excitement about football. I haven't seen anyone talk about DQ James or Sebastian Harsh both of which sound like they could be some serious players. I feel bad for Cody and the lack of access to the team. I really enjoy Spring camp stories. Couldn't he let reporters watch an hour of practice during Spring? What would that hurt? Honestly, Bohl could have really parlayed the depressed feelings after all the transfers into some real excitement but he missed.
W-Y, Until I Die!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

This is the most uncertainty going into a season as I have had in a long time. Would have been nice to get a small taste of what is to come.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

cowpoke pride wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:05 am This is the most uncertainty going into a season as I have had in a long time. Would have been nice to get a small taste of what is to come.
My guess is that they know that the small taste would be a pretty bitter and nasty spoonful of castor oil. Thus the secrecy. That or they are going to shock the world and want to hide all of the greatness.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:47 am And most of the stories coming out aren't much more than making a story out of the short post practice interviews. There are so many open positions, there could be a lot of stories to come out and a lot of excitement about football. I haven't seen anyone talk about DQ James or Sebastian Harsh both of which sound like they could be some serious players. I feel bad for Cody and the lack of access to the team. I really enjoy Spring camp stories. Couldn't he let reporters watch an hour of practice during Spring? What would that hurt? Honestly, Bohl could have really parlayed the depressed feelings after all the transfers into some real excitement but he missed.
https://7220sports.com/wyomings-sabasti ... -campaign/

https://7220sports.com/wyomings-dq-jame ... saturdays/
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:39 am
laxwyo wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:47 am And most of the stories coming out aren't much more than making a story out of the short post practice interviews. There are so many open positions, there could be a lot of stories to come out and a lot of excitement about football. I haven't seen anyone talk about DQ James or Sebastian Harsh both of which sound like they could be some serious players. I feel bad for Cody and the lack of access to the team. I really enjoy Spring camp stories. Couldn't he let reporters watch an hour of practice during Spring? What would that hurt? Honestly, Bohl could have really parlayed the depressed feelings after all the transfers into some real excitement but he missed.
https://7220sports.com/wyomings-sabasti ... -campaign/

https://7220sports.com/wyomings-dq-jame ... saturdays/
Yeah thanks. Where do you think I got the names from?

The sad fact is these articles are written from 1 or 2 sentences that Bohl has mentioned in a presser and not much more. It’s not like Cody Is watching guys do great things. Could you imagine if our reporters could report for themselves who looked like ballers? It’s the point of my whole post but you’re half retarded so I get it man.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

It's still Joe Glenn 2.0, and imo he knows how to coach at the FCS level, but even at medocre WYO this level still has his style and ways baffled to himself. It is Year 9 and I'm hoping he can start turning it around to win MWC Championships...thats what i want, and truthfully i don't think I'm asking for too much...i dont want any replacement I just want different season results....Get er Done...I'll see for myself next Sat at
The Spring Game