Those who stay will be champions...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

We have all heard it. I think I misunderstood. I thought conference champions...not...

2016 Co-Mountain Division Champion
2017 Potato Bowl Champion
2019 Arizona Bowl Champion
2021 Potato Bowl Champion

So...ol Bohly wasn't lying. That tricky f-word.

:orly:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:14 am We have all heard it. I think I misunderstood. I thought conference champions...not...

2016 Co-Mountain Division Champion
2017 Potato Bowl Champion
2019 Arizona Bowl Champion
2021 Potato Bowl Champion

So...ol Bohly wasn't lying. That tricky [#]f##k[#].

:orly:
Kind of puts it in perspective doesn't it?

Removing the COVID year (I just don't think that year is indicative of anything...and I would say that if we had won the conference), That is 5 years of
The good:
  • 37 Wins
  • Conference champoinship game appearance
  • 3 bowl game victories
  • 4 bowl game appearances
  • 5 for 5 against the sheep
  • First ever win against BSU
The bad:
  • 2 really bad UNM losses
  • Generally getting dominated by anybody legit (BSU, SDSU, P5 opponents)
  • Overall feeling like we are underperforming our talent level
There are probably a lot more than that in both categories.....that is just what I came up with off the top of my head. I'm kind of down on Bohl and the program in general ... still not like I was at the end of DC or Joe Glenn's tenure...

If we are comparing 5 year stretches...how far back do we have to go to get better than Bohl did during that stretch? Obviously the Bowl appearances and victories don't mean as much as they used to...but Wyoming had not won 37 games in 5 years since '95 through '99. We didn't dominate the Rams like we have recently back then though. I think that is the right answer though...that stretch was better. Unfortunately it preceded 16 years of pretty sustained poor results.

Anyways...thoughts?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Until there is a change, we are locked and loaded for .500 seasons and Tater and Arizona Bowls in our “best” years. We aren’t big or strong enough up front to beat fast and strong teams on offense. Our defense is fine, but won’t score enough to bail out our crappy offense. Across the board, with the possible exception of QB, we are even or worse this year compared to what we had last year. We barely made a bowl facing a poo schedule. We win 4 at very most next year.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

With respect to relative conference strength, peer budgets, peer facilities, etc., Bohl has had it better than any coach in WYO history. Some of his accomplishments can certainly be attributed to WYO's position within conference in these areas. I know many don't agree with that, but I don't think it's really that debatable.

He has an overall solid program with players that are easy to cheer for because they don't quit. He's had a moderate level of success and done well finding undervalued but really talented players. The program is stable and no real black eyes in his tenure. I also like his approach to local talent and he's done a good job getting fans to Laramie.

He can't field a functional offense without NFL talent all over the field and a once in a 100 year QB. He likely never will field a functional offense in his remaining time. He also makes it hard to follow the POKES which really decreases fan excitement.

I think we've tried everything in football and it's probably plateued. I think Bohl is going to make 1.7 next year? For the overall results, I think we can hire cheaper after Bohl's contract is up while only taking a minor step back. Re-route those resources to bball to make bball the highest funded program in the MWC.

Sometimes reality can be a bitch.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:44 am With respect to relative conference strength, peer budgets, peer facilities, etc., Bohl has had it better than any coach in WYO history. Some of his accomplishments can certainly be attributed to WYO's position within conference in these areas. I know many don't agree with that, but I don't think it's really that debatable.
The level of program investment vs conference peers is not debatable...what is debatable is whether it pertains to how good of a job a coach is doing. Also ... please don't read this as a defense of Bohl... I'm pretty down on Bohl's program.

I think I'm the main person on this board that never understands why this gets brought up when ranking coaches. For instance, I don't really know what to do with the fact that for some time now..BSU has ranked at the top of the conference in football budget and coach compensation yet nobody is downgrading thier coaches because of it. It seems like it only ever gets brought up when trying to down grade a coach. Have you ever heard of an Alabama fan saying that they would view thier program as even better if they had average facilities and coaching salaries in the SEC?

If Bohl had won 45 games over that 5 year stretch I referenced earlier, nobody is talking about his compensation or program investment....If we were paying him and investing in facilities at a relative level to what Wyoming used to do...is anybody going any easier on him because we are getting a "deal"? Of course not.

I think any argument against Bohl that centers around program investment and coach compensation is a side-show....The increased investment and compensation did get us the best results we have ever achieved since the late '90s..that's not nothing. The in-conference competition is worse than those years so maybe we did not have to spend anything to get those results.....that is still not relevant to Bohl's job. Take a hatchet to Burman and the UW brass all you want over that. Bohl's job is to win football games.....not to do it at the lowest possible price. When measured by that...he's a sight better than what has been in Laramie this century but that ain't saying much and I don't see a way it get's better.
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:44 am He has an overall solid program with players that are easy to cheer for because they don't quit. He's had a moderate level of success and done well finding undervalued but really talented players. The program is stable and no real black eyes in his tenure. I also like his approach to local talent and he's done a good job getting fans to Laramie.

He can't field a functional offense without NFL talent all over the field and a once in a 100 year QB. He likely never will field a functional offense in his remaining time. He also makes it hard to follow the POKES which really decreases fan excitement.

I think we've tried everything in football and it's probably plateued. I think Bohl is going to make 1.7 next year? For the overall results, I think we can hire cheaper after Bohl's contract is up while only taking a minor step back. Re-route those resources to bball to make bball the highest funded program in the MWC.

Agree completely with all of this.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:43 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:44 am With respect to relative conference strength, peer budgets, peer facilities, etc., Bohl has had it better than any coach in WYO history. Some of his accomplishments can certainly be attributed to WYO's position within conference in these areas. I know many don't agree with that, but I don't think it's really that debatable.
The level of program investment vs conference peers is not debatable...what is debatable is whether it pertains to how good of a job a coach is doing. Also ... please don't read this as a defense of Bohl... I'm pretty down on Bohl's program.

I think I'm the main person on this board that never understands why this gets brought up when ranking coaches. For instance, I don't really know what to do with the fact that for some time now..BSU has ranked at the top of the conference in football budget and coach compensation yet nobody is downgrading thier coaches because of it. It seems like it only ever gets brought up when trying to down grade a coach. Have you ever heard of an Alabama fan saying that they would view thier program as even better if they had average facilities and coaching salaries in the SEC?

If Bohl had won 45 games over that 5 year stretch I referenced earlier, nobody is talking about his compensation or program investment....If we were paying him and investing in facilities at a relative level to what Wyoming used to do...is anybody going any easier on him because we are getting a "deal"? Of course not.

I think any argument against Bohl that centers around program investment and coach compensation is a side-show....The increased investment and compensation did get us the best results we have ever achieved since the late '90s..that's not nothing. The in-conference competition is worse than those years so maybe we did not have to spend anything to get those results.....that is still not relevant to Bohl's job. Take a hatchet to Burman and the UW brass all you want over that. Bohl's job is to win football games.....not to do it at the lowest possible price. When measured by that...he's a sight better than what has been in Laramie this century but that ain't saying much and I don't see a way it get's better.
I'm not really hatcheting anything. Typically schools that invest more, win more. Typically if a schedule is weaker, it is easier to win. bsu coaches most certainly benefit from the highest investment, good facilities, and weak schedules. csu has shown to be an exception to the rule, haha.

Part of Bohl's success can be attributed to WYO's improved position within conference with respect to budgets and facilities and a weaker MWC. I just don't understand how that's debatable? Part of bsu success is also based on institutional factors and a weak MWC.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:08 pm I'm not really hatcheting anything. Typically schools that invest more, win more. Typically if a schedule is weaker, it is easier to win. bsu coaches most certainly benefit from the highest investment, good facilities, and weak schedules. csu has shown to be an exception to the rule, haha.

Part of Bohl's success can be attributed to WYO's improved position within conference with respect to budgets and facilities and a weaker MWC. I just don't understand how that's debatable? Part of bsu success is also based on institutional factors and a weak MWC.
First...great burn on CSU...kudos :lol:

It seems like we are misunderstanding one another...let me clarify. I don't think your statement "Part of Bohl's success can be attributed to WYO's improved position within conference with respect to budgets and facilities and a weaker MWC." is debatable at all...For instance, if Bohl coached his Wyoming teams in the SEC ... he would do much worse. I think we can dispense with thinking I have a problem with that statement.

Now that that is out of the way...how do you feel about the five year stretch that I pointed out in the earlier post? I don't feel great about it...and IMO it is the best five year stretch the program has had since '95-'99. What does that say when your coach is running a program at a level not achieve since before current graduating HS players were born?...And the fan base (at least the forum dwellers) are generally unhappy? Crazy right?....you pretty much already answered this in the second part of your earlier post.

I'm really not trying to have a discussion about Boh'ls salary or investment in program facilities. I've never been all that concerned about what the coach makes or if they build a new practice facility. It sure seems like you have to do it nowadays if you want to be taken seriously but it's definitely not a guarantee.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:11 pm
First...great burn on CSU...kudos :lol:

Now that that is out of the way...how do you feel about the five year stretch that I pointed out in the earlier post? I don't feel great about it...and IMO it is the best five year stretch the program has had since '95-'99. What does that say when your coach is running a program at a level not achieve since before current graduating HS players were born?...And the fan base (at least the forum dwellers) are generally unhappy? Crazy right?....you pretty much already answered this in the second part of your earlier post.

I'm really not trying to have a discussion about Boh'ls salary or investment in program facilities. I've never been all that concerned about what the coach makes or if they build a new practice facility. It sure seems like you have to do it nowadays if you want to be taken seriously but it's definitely not a guarantee.
Haha, csu is such an easy target. I think the 5 year stretch had been relatively solid. The first 2 years were maybe the worst I've witnessed at WYO. I think the dissatisfaction stems from what I'm getting at. Yes, it's a better stretch than we've had but it's also against a bunch of meh teams. If we had 7 wins with ooc wins against a couple P5 schools and some in conference wins against bsu (or the other top teams, consistently), I think the sentiment would be different. I think fans can sense the fact that we are marginally better than some of the worst teams in college football. Maybe Bohl's success has matched the investment but I do think the dollars matter. If we hire a hc at say 700k and send the 1 mill to bball, does football take that big of step back? Does bball sustain the success it has built?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

He has an overall solid program with players that are easy to cheer for because they don't quit. He's had a moderate level of success and done well finding undervalued but really talented players. The program is stable and no real black eyes in his tenure. I also like his approach to local talent and he's done a good job getting fans to Laramie.

I want to see what a modern football coach can do with the institutional support we now provide.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:31 am

I want to see what a modern football coach can do with the institutional support we now provide.
Lander,

Who is a modern coach that comes to mind? I am not being punchy - I am just interested in your thoughts on who might fit the "modern" bill? I think that the innovation coming out of the Coastal Carolina circles is intriguing. Does it have staying power?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:56 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:31 am

Lander,

Who is a modern coach that comes to mind? I am not being punchy - I am just interested in your thoughts on who might fit the "modern" bill? I think that the innovation coming out of the Coastal Carolina circles is intriguing. Does it have staying power?
One that is able to pass the ball and be less predictable. Sometimes it’s good to zig when everyone else zags, but what Bohl puts out there is predictable garbage. We need to be throwing it more effectively
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Agreed. I don’t think we need to be gimmicky, but we have to be more diverse. Apart from yielding mediocrity, it is boring to watch. And incredibly frustrating. I remember watching Roach’s teams as a kid. Flea flickers, running back passes, bombs downfield, Fake punts…no one knew what might be coming next. I want that back.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:48 am
Removing the COVID year (I just don't think that year is indicative of anything...and I would say that if we had won the conference), That is 5 years of
I always appreciate the “it’s not that bad if you don’t include the bad stuff” takes.
52-56
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

jessejames02 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:47 am
I always appreciate the “it’s not that bad if you don’t include the bad stuff” takes.
I've never understood the "every year is equal" thing. The first year or 2 of a coach's tenure is vastly different than the 4th+ imo. The COVID year was weird for everyone and probably not reflective of the overall program for anyone. Jmo
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:48 am
I've never understood the "every year is equal" thing. The first year or 2 of a coach's tenure is vastly different than the 4th+ imo. The COVID year was weird for everyone and probably not reflective of the overall program for anyone. Jmo
I wouldn’t give him the Covid year. But I remember when Bohl was hired that it was pretty much a consensus he’d get a pass for 2 years but many use those 2 years in their arguments against. If you can’t build a case without his first 2 years, you don’t have much of a case. Personally, there’s probably enough without. I don’t know how many years he is on contract left but from a personal standpoint, I say he has 2 years. Even with a 4 win year this year, I can’t see the trigger being pulled unless 23’ is also a dumpster fire. Any bowl win in those 2 years probably gets him an extra year.

This is referred to as mired in mediocrity. I think the casual fans would be ok with it as opposed to the CSU alternative
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

It's Year #9 and I truly ready for a MWC Championship outright..don't think thats too much to ask, get er done, cya at the Spring game tomorrow
307bball
WyoNation Addict

You missed the point... Is an indication of how bad the Wyoming program has become. Nothing about that post should make anybody feel like "it's not that bad".

You can include it if the want to.... It is a really hard year to make apples to apples comparisons with. Unless I'm mistaken, even if you include it (and normalize the win total based on winning percentage) it's still the most successful stretch when measured by wins since they nineties... That really sux.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Saw a thing on the news today about a football league where the fans call the offensive plays. Not sure how that works, but I suspect that would be popular amongst those on this board :rofl:

https://notthebee.com/article/watch-thi ... a-defender
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:12 pm Saw a thing on the news today about a football league where the fans call the offensive plays. Not sure how that works, but I suspect that would be popular amongst those on this board :rofl:

https://notthebee.com/article/watch-thi ... a-defender
Can you imagine the amount of double-reverse, flea-flicker passes we would see?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...