Spring Football Updates / Schedule?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LawPoke wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:22 am Having watched the UConn, New Mexico, Fresno State, Hawaii and CSU games up close - we are not a 9-to-10-win team. We will be lucky to win 4.

CSU would have beaten us if they had a staff that understood that playing 2 high safeties wasn't necessary - but the Dude was too dumb and/or set it his ways to change it up and load the box to beat us like everyone else did.

I've taken the hype out on the road and tried to convince people that "this year is different" too many times. Fact is - after this many years, we are what we are: a boring and hapless offensive team with a better than average defense that keeps us in games when our offense inevitably sputters.

When Bohl outright admitted that they didn't adequately prepare for Hawaii...and knowing that the same must have been true for the Fresno and UNM games given the outcomes...I was out with this staff. Take their money and bump Linder more. At least he wants to prepare his team and does it well.
We are at an interesting cross-roads for Wyoming football and CFB in general. I know we get caught up in the schemes and x's and o's of Bohls style of football but not much has changed when it comes to the game of football. If I'm breaking down football: It's still 50% blocking and tackling, 25% execution, and 25% Coaching/Scheme. All of these things require talent in their respected positions to ultimately win football games.

The days of players committing to a college for 4/5 years, developing, and creating a team atmosphere is gone. With the portal and NIL Clearly this will be a significant gain for handful of P5 teams. This is not to say G5 teams are left for dead. The G5 teams that adapt and innovate will be fine. This is where my biggest fear resonates for the future of UW football; can our administration, AD, and coaching staff adapt to this new era? Could someone like Tom Osborne be successful in today's era? My answer would be no. Bohl comes from that style of program. Could someone like Barry Switzer and Jimmie Johnson thrive in this new environment, Absolutely. So yeah, I'm worried.
I'm good for 3!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Yep. At this point it sure seems like Bohl's a dinosaur, and there's a giant asteroid barreling towards him.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Cornpoke wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:01 am
I know we get caught up in the schemes and x's and o's of Bohls style of football but not much has changed when it comes to the game of football.
Agree with most of your post except this. I don't think most are caught up in x's and o's. Most are caught up in a 1 dimensional offense that is effectively dysfunctional at the fbs level.

Bohl has completely failed at fielding a functional offense regardless of the x's and o's. If his offense worked at all, there would be no complaints (or hardly any, lol) about the x's and o's.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Good info here. Cody does a great job of reporting https://7220sports.com/pokes-practice-r ... to-emerge/