The future of college football (and probably BB, too)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CowboyNV wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:31 pm Just a random thought on NIL money and Wyoming football...if I am Corporation AAA, and I'm interested in "paying" a couple of football players $10,000 that play at Wyoming, do I pull the trigger knowing that nobody will know these kids on the field because they DON'T HAVE THEIR NAMES ON THEIR JERSEYS. To the casual fan who watches a commercial for a local car dealer featuring Gunner Gentry, do they know he's number 16 on the football team? Seriously, If I'm going to hang my corporate logo on Gentry's locker, I damn sure want his name on his jersey so people know who he is. Fans on this forum probably know most of the numbers for these kids, but the casual fan has no clue.
Speaking of no clue, I think Bohl's refusal to put names on jerseys just shows how out of touch the old f##k[#] really is. Hey Craig, there's a reason you can't even bat .500, you are stuck in the 60's.
If it would improve the talent level then yes, put the damn names on the jersery's. I get the idea of the "team" concept but that will be no longer in this new era. Maybe we get to the point that NIL advertisers are all over the jerseys, same way other sports have done.
I'm good for 3!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I don't know who the hell is who for the first half of the season. Just put the names on the jerseys.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Would love it if the biggest problem facing Wyoming football was that the player names are absent from the backs of the uniform.

That bring said... I'm in favor of putting the names on them.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Forget NIL or the transfer portal, if this comes to fruition this would be bad for Wyo football recruiting. The Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States all add another 20 scholarship players and the trickle down effect is going to hurt a lot of the lower tier teams.

Competitive balance between lower-tier teams will likely not change much, but the gap between the haves and have not will widen.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

So the ncaa is worthless. Total free for all now. What a sham
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:38 pm So the ncaa is worthless. Total free for all now. What a sham
The NCAA is extremely spineless. All because they are afraid of getting sued. Yep...that's the 21st Century in a nutshell. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Eliminating scholarships and unlimited coaches in combo with NIL will expedite a split.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

It's happening! I said that I thought Alabama might be a big loser in the new college football landscape because some other places just have more money. I'm sure they'll still compete just fine, but they'll no longer be stand alone kings. Maybe there will be more parity in that top 16 of college football. I'm actually ok with this now. Let those 16 play and the rest of the country can get back to college football. Frankly, it'd be nice to form a new CFB division without the top end corruption that basically kept us out anyway. Hell, maybe we could end up in a conference with CU and Utah, Arizona schools, Kansas etc. Fresno, SDSU, SJSU can join up with Oregon st, washington and washington st and start a a west coast conference. In my opinion Nick, is right on.

W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

The topic of this thread should be “The end of college football as we know it”

They are turning it into a farm league while giving them a free education. Heck, the guys demanding big NIL agreements probably don’t really care about the education. They are anticipating a bigger payday when they get into the NFL and aren’t concerned with getting a degree. Kinda makes me not give a poop about “college athletics” any more. Next thing it will be like college hockey. Those guys get drafted before they even go to college and can get called up at any time.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Was watching a youtube highlight of Ryan Yarborough yesterday....made me sad when, as I watched it, It looked so much like Isiah Neyor on a few of the catch and runs. Having a good team with a great player on it just seems unlikely anymore at Wyoming. The best we can do is to be a fundamentally solid development team. When you look at championship caliber teams....it think it's pretty uncommon to be successful at that level in the absence of truly "next level" dudes. Bummed.