State Funding?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Does anyone know how the UW stadium and swimming money fared in the Legislature?
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

They approved a Dome. gonna resemble Lucas Oil stadium.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:49 am They approved a Dome. gonna resemble Lucas Oil stadium.
Energy prices stay here and we may get that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:30 pm
WyoVaquero wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:49 am They approved a Dome. gonna resemble Lucas Oil stadium.
It's such a weird paradox for Wyoming residents. Everyone hates high gas prices, but it's good for Wyoming
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Maybe I'm just getting old but I do think a dome/retractable roof would greatly improve recruiting and the fan experience.
I'm good for 3!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

A dome would be huge here. I think we could sell a dome to donors easier than people think if we make it multi purpose with classrooms and educational facilities built in. 30k dome with 5k end zone seats added for big games. But I doubt it ever happens.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Cornpoke wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:37 pm Maybe I'm just getting old but I do think a dome/retractable roof would greatly improve recruiting and the fan experience.
If Laramie was a city and most of the fans didn’t commute, like Buffalo bills, an outdoor venue is ok even with bad weather. Most people commute to the game so it’s harder to sell if it’s outdoors. Who wants to drive over poop roads just to freeze your ass off? Maybe I’m getting old too
W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

So my scoop is that $50 million was approved for the stadium, pool and Law School. Now UW has to go about raising the funds to match it, which I would guess is already happening.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:33 pm
It's such a weird paradox for Wyoming residents. Everyone hates high gas prices, but it's good for Wyoming
It is. An uptick in energy prices came at the right time though because we were in real trouble.

But this whipsaw oil price climate is not good in the long run. We saw what happened the last time oil prices got this high is that we entered a long term trend of over supply due to overproduction which resulted in a sustained low price between 2014-2021. Wyoming got the double whammy because the overproduction of oil brought about an overproduction of associated natural gas driving the coal market into the ground.

Wyoming would be sitting great at a sustained $80/ bbl oil price and a $5.00/McF natural gas price.

We will see how this all shakes out. At least we should have a surplus over the next few years to rebuild the depleted rainy day fund.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoVaquero wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:04 pm A dome would be huge here. I think we could sell a dome to donors easier than people think if we make it multi purpose with classrooms and educational facilities built in. 30k dome with 5k end zone seats added for big games. But I doubt it ever happens.
I believe a dome would be a colossal waste of money personally. The cost to increased realized revenue ratio would likely be exceedingly bad. Dumping a ton of money into football facilities will likely have a relatively negligible impact
IMO. In this new era of NIL and transfer portal, Wyoming (nor any other MWC teams) is not going to be a football powerhouse let’s be realistic.

The campus has its priorities right by investing in new dorms, a parking structure and new classroom buildings/research facilities.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WyoVaquero wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:04 pm A dome would be huge here. I think we could sell a dome to donors easier than people think if we make it multi purpose with classrooms and educational facilities built in. 30k dome with 5k end zone seats added for big games. But I doubt it ever happens.
It would be nice to have the outdoor track around the field if we were getting a dome too. We get some good track athletes, but we can't host much.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:07 pm
The campus has its priorities right by investing in new dorms, a parking structure and new classroom buildings/research facilities.
This is true, but not nearly as much fun to discuss on a sports board on the weekend.

Truth of the matter is, I suspect our recruiting could improve with increased enrollment too, if those things generate it.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:56 am
It is. An uptick in energy prices came at the right time though because we were in real trouble.

But this whipsaw oil price climate is not good in the long run. We saw what happened the last time oil prices got this high is that we entered a long term trend of over supply due to overproduction which resulted in a sustained low price between 2014-2021. Wyoming got the double whammy because the overproduction of oil brought about an overproduction of associated natural gas driving the coal market into the ground.

Wyoming would be sitting great at a sustained $80/ bbl oil price and a $5.00/McF natural gas price.

We will see how this all shakes out. At least we should have a surplus over the next few years to rebuild the depleted rainy day fund.
Is Wyoming now drilling for more oil? I keep hearing conflicting stories about American oil production.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

phxpoke wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:59 pm

Is Wyoming now drilling for more oil? I keep hearing conflicting stories about American oil production.
There are 15 rigs operating in Wyoming which is roughly how many rigs were operating pre-pandemic. At one point in 2020, there were 0 rigs. The problem for the drilling community is the supply chain problems created by the pandemic has created issues for obtaining materials. I believe casing is on a 6 month backlog. Accordingly, it isn’t possible to just start drilling a bunch more wells and bring on a bunch of additional rigs until the supply chain problems are fixed. In addition, the lack of hiring in the oil and gas sector during the pandemic has created a real problem of a lack of workforce.

Overall and because of a unique set of circumstances including Russia’s war, I personally expect a high oil price for several years. But if I could predict the price of oil with any certainty, then I wouldn’t be working.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

This is very interesting and it makes sense as to why we have could have such high prices. Not everything has to be so political. Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread sideways, so go Pokes and let's hope we make it to the big dance tomorrow!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

phxpoke wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:43 pm This is very interesting and it makes sense as to why we have could have such high prices. Not everything has to be so political. Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread sideways, so go Pokes and let's hope we make it to the big dance tomorrow!
I smile and get a chuckle at all the price of oil and gasoline at the pump costs experts I’ve seen on social media over the past several weeks.

Agreed - go pokes! Tomorrow will be a nerve racking day.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:22 pm

There are 15 rigs operating in Wyoming which is roughly how many rigs were operating pre-pandemic. At one point in 2020, there were 0 rigs. The problem for the drilling community is the supply chain problems created by the pandemic has created issues for obtaining materials. I believe casing is on a 6 month backlog. Accordingly, it isn’t possible to just start drilling a bunch more wells and bring on a bunch of additional rigs until the supply chain problems are fixed. In addition, the lack of hiring in the oil and gas sector during the pandemic has created a real problem of a lack of workforce.

Overall and because of a unique set of circumstances including Russia’s war, I personally expect a high oil price for several years. But if I could predict the price of oil with any certainty, then I wouldn’t be working.
I sold my USL and USO stock for a little profit before Biden really jacked it all up and kept my weed stocks so I feel ya.
W-Y, Until I Die!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Upstream E&P companies, especially publicly traded companies, are much more cash conscious and conservative these days as well. Even with the high crude prices, investors are wanting oil and gas companies to stand pat with capital allocation and forecasts. We may see a bunch of privately held companies ramp up production (to the extent possible with the limitations you mentioned), but it likely won't be enough to make a huge dent in worldwide supply and crude prices.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

PokeNer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:08 pm

Upstream E&P companies, especially publicly traded companies, are much more cash conscious and conservative these days as well. Even with the high crude prices, investors are wanting oil and gas companies to stand pat with capital allocation and forecasts. We may see a bunch of privately held companies ramp up production (to the extent possible with the limitations you mentioned), but it likely won't be enough to make a huge dent in worldwide supply and crude prices.
Agree 100%. You’re absolutely correct with some of the larger independents that have decided to ramp up production very slowly (if at all). Also and unfortunately for the private equity groups, a lot of the available capital has dried up and lenders have grown wary in light of the last downturn.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

The environmentalists (perhaps funded in part by Russia) have messed up our energy system. The current green technologies simply can't meet demand and are not sustainable from an input standpoint (lithium, etc.). Trying to immediately transition from stable fossil fuels to non-existent technology might be the dumbest thing in the history of mankind unless you are Russia selling fossil fuels to the countries banning or inhibiting fossil fuel production.

At this point, for national security, it might be time to visit the concept of public investment in private development to stabilize fuel production, fertilizer production, microchip production, etc. That is starting at a snails pace and needs to be ramped up immediately.

We haven't even seen the full inflation fallout from this mess. Wait until you see food prices this fall. Much of the current food market was grown with pre-inflation inputs. Now, the food is being put in with high diesel and outrageous fertilizer costs. We'll either be paying through the nose for food (waaaaay more than now) or bankrupt the food production industry.

I guess we get what we deserve because we put ourselves in this mess. We have more energy than almost any other country. We can grow more food than almost any other country. We have more technology and technological capabilities than almost any other country. The only reason we are inhibited or suffering is because of decades of bad government policies and greedy corporations (which fund bad government policies).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.