USU QB Trade

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

For the 2022 season the University of Wyoming trades QB Levi Williams for QB Andrew Peasley. CFB sure has changed…

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wow! I hope Peasley is pissed off as hell and shows it on the field. I have to say that on paper is an underwhelming signing...but I always like someone with a chip on their shoulder.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Welcome Andrew peasley!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I’ll be honest, 2 things tell me he is a great fit for the Bohl offenses we have all become accustomed to.

1) Dude can run.

2) He is a career 53% passer.
Wicks
Blog Team

New blog up on the site with stats and a few highlights of our new QB.

https://wyonation.com/2022/01/easy-peas ... arterback/
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:56 pm I’ll be honest, 2 things tell me he is a great fit for the Bohl offenses we have all become accustomed to.

1) Dude can run.

2) He is a career 53% passer.
Yeah, that's not exactly a downgrade from what we've had.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I’ve watched a little bit of peasley and my impression is that he has a decent arm and is fairly accurate. He is at least as quick and elusive as Williams without Williams’ elite top end speed. I think pease is probably a more natural thrower of the ball and probably a more natural qb, but perhaps a weaker arm than Williams, but a better motion. Peasley is not the athlete Williams is, but we need a qb and not some elite athlete masquerading as a qb. This makes me feel a bit better about next year
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Pretty clear that WYO is not viewed favorably by QBs.

Our QB room...yikes. Going to be an interesting year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Peasley will be our starter because Bohl will value the experience. I’m afraid it’s Dax Crum, Kirkegaard or Coffman type of QB. I hope I’m wrong. I have no idea honesty. Although all we really need is someone to throw 60%, 180-200 yards and 1-2 TDs to be effective.
W-Y, Until I Die!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:12 pm Peasley will be our starter because Bohl will value the experience. I’m afraid it’s Dax Crum, Kirkegaard or Coffman type of QB. I hope I’m wrong. I have no idea honesty. Although all we really need is someone to throw 60%, 180-200 yards and 1-2 TDs to be effective.
Go back and look at those guys stats, they’re a step up (passing wise) from anyone we’ve had not named Josh Allen. Cam Coffman had the best completion percentage of any QB in the Bohl era. If Peasley can match those guys’ production, we’ll be in okay shape.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I'm really trying to not be Debbie Downer and really hoping I'm missing something. However, imo, this isn't good. Bohl hangs out a help wanted sign for an immediate starter and we end up getting beat out by GA Southern for 1, sign a juco 3rd stringer, and a 2nd or 3rd string injury-prone kid from a conference peer (I hate calling them that). Peasley, and not being hard on him, was heading to fcs if we didn't sign him.

Two major issues. It appears we're bottom of the barrel in terms of destination for transfers. This doesn't bode well for the future. Secondly, it has been painfully obvious we need a QB who can throw. We needed an upgrade not "as good as Levi or almost as good as Levi". We needed "throws better and makes better reads". I'm just not sure we have a QB that is an upgrade. I really really hope these kids prove that I'm way wrong.

I guess we'll find out if we're truly a talent development program or if that is just bs.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:11 am I'm really trying to not be Debbie Downer and really hoping I'm missing something. However, imo, this isn't good. Bohl hangs out a help wanted sign for an immediate starter and we end up getting beat out by GA Southern for 1, sign a juco 3rd stringer, and a 2nd or 3rd string injury-prone kid from a conference peer (I hate calling them that). Peasley, and not being hard on him, was heading to fcs if we didn't sign him.

Two major issues. It appears we're bottom of the barrel in terms of destination for transfers. This doesn't bode well for the future. Secondly, it has been painfully obvious we need a QB who can throw. We needed an upgrade not "as good as Levi or almost as good as Levi". We needed "throws better and makes better reads". I'm just not sure we have a QB that is an upgrade. I really really hope these kids prove that I'm way wrong.

I guess we'll find out if we're truly a talent development program or if that is just bs.
You said this very well and was my thought too. We go through the trouble of being the top story on ESPN for our help wanted sign and we end up where we are. With all of the QB talent that entered the portal this year, if we were ever going to land a big time QB transfer this would have been the year. In future years and with less of an abundance of portal players, where does that put us?

That said ... light the world on fire Peasley, we are all rooting for you to succeed!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:27 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:11 am I'm really trying to not be Debbie Downer and really hoping I'm missing something. However, imo, this isn't good. Bohl hangs out a help wanted sign for an immediate starter and we end up getting beat out by GA Southern for 1, sign a juco 3rd stringer, and a 2nd or 3rd string injury-prone kid from a conference peer (I hate calling them that). Peasley, and not being hard on him, was heading to fcs if we didn't sign him.

You said this very well and was my thought too. We go through the trouble of being the top story on ESPN for our help wanted sign and we end up where we are. With all of the QB talent that entered the portal this year, if we were ever going to land a big time QB transfer this would have been the year. In future years and with less of an abundance of portal players, where does that put us?

That said ... light the world on fire Peasley, we are all rooting for you to succeed!
If we had an offense that was proven QBs could throw for a lot of yards we would have had a lot of takers. This is what you get when your offense is so run heavy. Not a lot of college QB transfers lining up to play in it. Not an indictment of Laramie or UW or anything, but an indictment of Bohl's offenses. Too early in the process to say anything about other transfers from the portal in terms of other positions. Need to see how it plays out. I have a feeling Bohl is still super reluctant about using the portal and will only take a kid if he is a slam dunk in terms of character and talent. Kind of like the Michigan State kid. He was still going on about DEVELOPMENT at some coaches' conference a few days ago.

Maybe Bohl will finally open up that playbook now we have someone that can pass :cool:
Last edited by LanderPoke on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hickaggie
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:58 pm I’ve watched a little bit of peasley and my impression is that he has a decent arm and is fairly accurate. He is at least as quick and elusive as Williams without Williams’ elite top end speed. I think pease is probably a more natural thrower of the ball and probably a more natural qb, but perhaps a weaker arm than Williams, but a better motion. Peasley is not the athlete Williams is, but we need a qb and not some elite athlete masquerading as a qb. This makes me feel a bit better about next year
I sure hope you are right about Williams speed and athleticism because Peasley's calling card has been as a legit low 4.4 guy who has some legit pocket quickness to boot. He would be an ideal triple QB and if he can get consistent in the throw game and see receivers a bit better he could be a monster to deal with because of his ability to torch a D with his legs when things break down. He averaged about 9 yards a carry.

If Williams is faster than that I'm excited for the pickup. I really like Peasley and hope he can put it all together.

Look at the New Mexico highlight at the 10:30 mark here to see what I'm talking about. He's had 3-4 similar runs. I know its the Lobos but still...

hickaggie
Buckaroo

I think Peasley has gotten a lot more accurate since his debut last year. He can certainly get a lot better. His arm strength isn't elite but its pretty good. The bigger problem I think is just recognizing defenses and progressions. He's a smart guy who works his ass off and has a lot of pride. I think with consistent playing time he will come around. He's still got 3 years and a guy with the wheels he does can be a real threat if he can continue to progress in his throw game.

I was all in for him the first part of this year until Bonner got his deep game act together a bit and Peasley seemed to lose some confidence after some errors following the AF game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:57 am

If we had an offense that was proven QBs could throw for a lot of yards we would have had a lot of takers. This is what you get when your offense is so run heavy. Not a lot of college QB transfers lining up to play in it. Not an indictment of Laramie or UW or anything, but an indictment of Bohl's offenses. Too early in the process to say anything about other transfers from the portal in terms of other positions. Need to see how it plays out. I have a feeling Bohl is still super reluctant about using the portal and will only take a kid if he is a slam dunk in terms of character and talent. Kind of like the Michigan State kid. He was still going on about DEVELOPMENT at some coaches' conference a few days ago.

Maybe Bohl will finally open up that playbook now we have someone that can pass :cool:
I'm not convinced we have a qb that can pass. Peasley looks pretty indecisive and inaccurate to me. We'll see I guess. Like Oredigger said, definitely cheering for them.

As to the transfers, you could be right that it's qb specific and Bohl didn't hit the portal hard for other positions. It'll be interesting to see if sticking to his development guns works in the new era of CFB. It hasn't been overwhelmingly successful in the previous era, so who knows. I just have a feeling we're about to see a repeat of year 1 and 2 of the Bohl staff.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Hickaggie - thanks for the insights. I didn't realize Peasley was that fast and runs that well. Now it makes sense why Bohl wanted him. lol. Peasley is definitely quicker than Williams, but once Williams gets going he may be one of the fastest players in the conference - it doesn't seem like it, but look at one of his many long runs. Levi easily outruns safeties and cornerbacks. I would like to know how fast Williams could run a 200m.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:14 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:57 am

I'm not convinced we have a qb that can pass. Peasley looks pretty indecisive and inaccurate to me. We'll see I guess. Like Oredigger said, definitely cheering for them.

As to the transfers, you could be right that it's qb specific and Bohl didn't hit the portal hard for other positions. It'll be interesting to see if sticking to his development guns works in the new era of CFB. It hasn't been overwhelmingly successful in the previous era, so who knows. I just have a feeling we're about to see a repeat of year 1 and 2 of the Bohl staff.
I was being sarcastic about having a QB that can pass. Peasley seems to pass it at about the level of Levi, maybe a tad better - so not exactly great. BUT maybe OC Polasec has got some stuff figured out. Two of our last three games were nice, as well as a couple earlier in the year.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Peasley came into their Air Force game this year and helped beat Air Force at Air Force. He looked good doing it also.

He is a better thrower than Williams. As long as Wyoming’s coaching staff doesn’t screw him up.

Peasley comes in at around 6 minute mark on video below.

https://youtu.be/eNuXTVPwAck

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

hickaggie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:58 pm I’ve watched a little bit of peasley and my impression is that he has a decent arm and is fairly accurate. He is at least as quick and elusive as Williams without Williams’ elite top end speed. I think pease is probably a more natural thrower of the ball and probably a more natural qb, but perhaps a weaker arm than Williams, but a better motion. Peasley is not the athlete Williams is, but we need a qb and not some elite athlete masquerading as a qb. This makes me feel a bit better about next year
I sure hope you are right about Williams speed and athleticism because Peasley's calling card has been as a legit low 4.4 guy who has some legit pocket quickness to boot. He would be an ideal triple QB and if he can get consistent in the throw game and see receivers a bit better he could be a monster to deal with because of his ability to torch a D with his legs when things break down. He averaged about 9 yards a carry.

If Williams is faster than that I'm excited for the pickup. I really like Peasley and hope he can put it all together.

Look at the New Mexico highlight at the 10:30 mark here to see what I'm talking about. He's had 3-4 similar runs. I know its the Lobos but still...

Have a look at the highlights from our game against the Lobos last year...