Playing the Portal Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

So, I've been thinking about the portal and the wild number of kids that languish there - for one reason or another. I wonder if there is a strategy of trying your best to get the top available players to sign with you, but actively targeting kids that may not be getting a lot of attention to sign after the smoke has cleared and they are fearful that they might be left out in the cold. The reality is that a lot of P5 and upper tier G5 players were highly recruited but got stuck at the bottom of the depth chart for odd reasons or because the other players are simply that much better. A lot of them will still be snapped up, but some will be left (and left without many options). Perhaps patience is a virtue and we will see a raft of signings from kids that are seeking any port in the storm.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

We're actually using it and getting some results for a change, maybe this thing does work afterall
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:05 am We're actually using it and getting some results for a change, maybe this thing does work afterall
A backup linebacker from Michigan State and a 3rd string QB from Snow Junior College seems like a very low bar for 'results' considering we are losing 7 starters and a backup QB to the portal. We will know the results by next tuesday when spring classes start. I am hopeful there will be some helpful signings but there has been very little noise on the offers front from Wyoming as released by players. As of now, I believe Wyoming ranks nearly dead last in 247Sports portal rankings.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:47 am So, I've been thinking about the portal and the wild number of kids that languish there - for one reason or another. I wonder if there is a strategy of trying your best to get the top available players to sign with you, but actively targeting kids that may not be getting a lot of attention to sign after the smoke has cleared and they are fearful that they might be left out in the cold. The reality is that a lot of P5 and upper tier G5 players were highly recruited but got stuck at the bottom of the depth chart for odd reasons or because the other players are simply that much better. A lot of them will still be snapped up, but some will be left (and left without many options). Perhaps patience is a virtue and we will see a raft of signings from kids that are seeking any port in the storm.
Because of the expanded player pool this year and next (due to the extra covid year), I agree with you that the wait and see strategy might be beneficial. There wil be a few hundred FBS players left without an FBS home and FCS rosters stand to gain quite a bit.

But we are one week away from spring classes at Wyoming and there are no outstanding publicly known offers to players. The known offer to a QB was rejected in lieu of Georgia Southern. This is concerning to me. Realistically, we are not in a good spot at the moment.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:27 am
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:47 am So, I've been thinking about the portal and the wild number of kids that languish there - for one reason or another. I wonder if there is a strategy of trying your best to get the top available players to sign with you, but actively targeting kids that may not be getting a lot of attention to sign after the smoke has cleared and they are fearful that they might be left out in the cold. The reality is that a lot of P5 and upper tier G5 players were highly recruited but got stuck at the bottom of the depth chart for odd reasons or because the other players are simply that much better. A lot of them will still be snapped up, but some will be left (and left without many options). Perhaps patience is a virtue and we will see a raft of signings from kids that are seeking any port in the storm.
Because of the expanded player pool this year and next (due to the extra covid year), I agree with you that the wait and see strategy might be beneficial. There wil be a few hundred FBS players left without an FBS home and FCS rosters stand to gain quite a bit.

But we are one week away from spring classes at Wyoming and there are no outstanding publicly known offers to players. The known offer to a QB was rejected in lieu of Georgia Southern. This is concerning to me. Realistically, we are not in a good spot at the moment.
You are 100% correct. I am hoping that this staff is like a duck on a pond - placid as can be above water, but paddling like hell beneath it. They have played the "quiet and cagey" role to perfection before (i.e. with the recruiting of Josh Allen from what I have heard). Maybe they are following my former boss' adage that "they can't get your goat if they don't know where it's tied." I certainly hope that is the case - because if not, we better hope the existing roster and later signing recruits are better than I think they are right now.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

More P5 players hitting the portal so will be an interesting few days…but still crickets on Wyoming offers.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:31 am More P5 players hitting the portal so will be an interesting few days…but still crickets on Wyoming offers.
The big question: are the crickets chirping because nothing is happening and we aren't doing anything? Or are they chirping because there is a lot happening, but it is night and we don't see or hear anything other than chirping (because Bohl is a secretive, cagey mofo)? We shall see - and soon I would guess.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

LawPoke wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:51 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:31 am More P5 players hitting the portal so will be an interesting few days…but still crickets on Wyoming offers.
The big question: are the crickets chirping because nothing is happening and we aren't doing anything? Or are they chirping because there is a lot happening, but it is night and we don't see or hear anything other than chirping (because Bohl is a secretive, cagey mofo)? We shall see - and soon I would guess.
Huge question. Once they are "inked" you would think an announcement would be safe. But the silence is awful...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:33 pm
LawPoke wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:51 am
Huge question. Once they are "inked" you would think an announcement would be safe. But the silence is awful...
I agree. I don't think any programs have announced their offer lists...but the players themselves have largely made it well known who was offering who. As far as Wyoming, the only players I am aware to publicly announce an offer were Svoboda (JUCO signee) and Vantrease (Buffalo QB going to Georgia Southern).

My conclusion is either Wyoming is instructing players to keep the offers quiet (but then why the other announcements) or there really just aren't many offers out there from Wyoming and Bohl is sticking to his guns of developing players within the program. Being that Tuesday is the start of classes, that seems to be the very last day for any portal players to make their way to Wyoming (at least if they want a scholarship for the spring semester).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

It'll be interesting to see how many portal players are signed nationally before spring semester vs the end of the semester.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:12 pm It'll be interesting to see how many portal players are signed nationally before spring semester vs the end of the semester.
Very good point! Although, my question would be what are the unsigned portal players going to be doing during the spring semester? Paying their own way at their current school? Working? Going home to mom and/or dad? Hopefully staying out of trouble.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:30 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:12 pm It'll be interesting to see how many portal players are signed nationally before spring semester vs the end of the semester.
Very good point! Although, my question would be what are the unsigned portal players going to be doing during the spring semester? Paying their own way at their current school? Working? Going home to mom and/or dad? Hopefully staying out of trouble.
This is just crazy. Yeah, who knows what the heck they're doing. Maybe they think if they hold out, a good deal will come. Maybe coaches aren't as enthused about the transfer concept other than the near sure hits (Neyor for example) and are thinking they want to wait to see Spring ball first. Unless a transfer helps you substantially, it might not be worth it. If they will help you substantially, those are probably the players that are signed.

If we weren't jaded by the past few seasons, it could be that the talent on the roster is as good or nearly as good as the talent available (to us) in the portal. I'm too jaded to think that way though, lol.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I actually think the talent is okay on the roster. Problem being QB. Problem being corners. Problem being scheme. Neyor is not replaceable ( he is a Bouknight, Harris, Yarborough level of talent).

Swen is good, Mcneely is good, Cobbs is good, and the defense is likely going to be fine. Everything wrong with this team was scheme. Josh Allen wasn’t great in this scheme his senior year. It’s not rocket science. If you need 5 starters ( Allen, Hill, Roullier, Hollister, and Gentry)to be NFL quality for your offensive scheme to work, than Wyoming is the wrong place.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:46 pm I actually think the talent is okay on the roster. Problem being QB. Problem being corners. Problem being scheme. Neyor is not replaceable ( he is a Bouknight, Harris, Yarborough level of talent).

Swen is good, Mcneely is good, Cobbs is good, and the defense is likely going to be fine. Everything wrong with this team was scheme. Josh Allen wasn’t great in this scheme his senior year. It’s not rocket science. If you need 5 starters ( Allen, Hill, Roullier, Hollister, and Gentry)to be NFL quality for your offensive scheme to work, than Wyoming is the wrong place.
I don’t have your level of optimism on defense. Replacing LBs, CBs and Safeties doesn’t sound like a recipe for success. Didn’t we lose a good Nickel back too?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 am
marcuswyo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:46 pm I actually think the talent is okay on the roster. Problem being QB. Problem being corners. Problem being scheme. Neyor is not replaceable ( he is a Bouknight, Harris, Yarborough level of talent).

I don’t have your level of optimism on defense. Replacing LBs, CBs and Safeties doesn’t sound like a recipe for success. Didn’t we lose a good Nickel back too?
I agree. In Bohl's defensive scheme, the secondary (and particularly the LBs as I recall) are absolutely critical. We do have talent, but replacing most of the back end is problematic. Losing Muma and his nose for the ball and tackles per game was already going to hurt quite a bit.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:58 am I agree. In Bohl's defensive scheme, the secondary (and particularly the LBs as I recall) are absolutely critical. We do have talent, but replacing most of the back end is problematic. Losing Muma and his nose for the ball and tackles per game was already going to hurt quite a bit.
I tend to think that Easton Gibbs is going to slide right in to Muma's role. Aaron Bohl is turning out to be one hell of a good LB coach!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:21 am
LawPoke wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:58 am I agree. In Bohl's defensive scheme, the secondary (and particularly the LBs as I recall) are absolutely critical. We do have talent, but replacing most of the back end is problematic. Losing Muma and his nose for the ball and tackles per game was already going to hurt quite a bit.
I tend to think that Easton Gibbs is going to slide right in to Muma's role. Aaron Bohl is turning out to be one hell of a good LB coach!
You might be right. Probably are.

In terms of Aaron, I agree. We are becoming LB U.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Jay Sawvel at 6 PM:

“This is a really really good day for the Cowboys.”

He either likes what he saw on film for Peasley or the Pokes are signing a major defensive player to be announced.