Trash talking the kids

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

A few commenters have had some unpleasant things to say about the kids entering the portal.

Please remember these are volunteer student athletes. Who they marry, where they transfer to, none of that has any impact on our day to day lives.

Tossing hate and vitriol at a 20-yr old because you’d rather he play a children’s game at the school we support than transfer to a competitor is low level poop.

We’re not BYU fans, we should be better than that.
52-56
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I agree, some of the negative things being said are definitely inappropriate. However your point of the volunteer student athlete is wrong; That isn't the case with most who have entered the transfer portal, they were full scholarship athletes.
I'm good for 3!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:30 pm I agree, some of the negative things being said are definitely inappropriate. However your point of the volunteer student athlete is wrong; That isn't the case with most who have entered the transfer portal, they were full scholarship athletes.
Who are entering the portal to try and make more money (as in hard cash) elsewhere. I generally agree that we should refrain from personal attacks of college athletes (and generally everyone else in this world). However, I now refuse to treat them with the kid gloves that used to be entitled to - they want to be semi-pro and make money partly due to their playing at my alma mater all while getting a scholarship that I help to pay for - they can tolerate a few boos and some sharp critiques of their play and their off-field decisions, including their decision to transfer.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:41 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:30 pm I agree, some of the negative things being said are definitely inappropriate. However your point of the volunteer student athlete is wrong; That isn't the case with most who have entered the transfer portal, they were full scholarship athletes.
Who are entering the portal to try and make more money (as in hard cash) elsewhere. I generally agree that we should refrain from personal attacks of college athletes (and generally everyone else in this world). However, I now refuse to treat them with the kid gloves that used to be entitled to - they want to be semi-pro and make money partly due to their playing at my alma mater all while getting a scholarship that I help to pay for - they can tolerate a few boos and some sharp critiques of their play and their off-field decisions, including their decision to transfer.
I think that is fair...I'm kind of on Cornpokes side in this in general but I guess as long as the criticism are "fair" (tough to define) then by all means. The derision directed at Levi for ostensibly transferring for a girl and then proposing is out of line IMO. I actually am of the opinion that sacrifices made in the effort to find the one you are going to try and spend the rest of your life with will always be worth it. I don't see anything glaringly immoral in player decisions to transfer.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

‘Volunteer’ is an incredible reach
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

jessejames02 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:50 pm A few commenters have had some unpleasant things to say about the kids entering the portal.

Please remember these are volunteer student athletes. Who they marry, where they transfer to, none of that has any impact on our day to day lives.

Tossing hate and vitriol at a 20-yr old because you’d rather he play a children’s game at the school we support than transfer to a competitor is low level Sh#t.

Totally agree. If he left talking smack on Wyoming that would open him up to whatever anyone else dishes back. He said some nice words on his way out, and he certainly played his heart out in his last game for the Pokes. I wish him well, except when he plays against us.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

I agree. They are looking for their best opportunities and ups to the University of Wyoming to be that. It was for me as a non-athlete.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Behind the scenes the coaches are talking more trash than any fans. Sad to see! :eek:
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

This thread had to be started by a millennial parent
W-Y, Until I Die!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:57 pm This thread had to be started by a millennial parent
I’m not sure how common decency equates to millennial parent, but it’s on point. Millennial parent of five.
52-56
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Forever a Cowboy just doesn't apply in this matter. Thanks for his time though
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

jessejames02 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:05 pm
laxwyo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:57 pm This thread had to be started by a millennial parent
I’m not sure how common decency equates to millennial parent, but it’s on point. Millennial parent of five.
I can tell

The players should have big boy britches on by now.
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

jessejames02 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:50 pm A few commenters have had some unpleasant things to say about the kids entering the portal.

Tossing hate and vitriol at a 20-yr old because you’d rather he play a children’s game at the school we support than transfer to a competitor is low level poop.

Define trash talking...well, nevermind.

Sounds like a snowflake post to me. An adult (18+) needs to have a bit thicker skin, grow some hair on his / her balls, and let things roll off their back. Not one adult student-athlete on our roster is a volunteer, that is rediculous. And yes, I think Levi is a puss for transferring for a puss. Others, meh. Well, that is in exception of Rome Weber and his #gorams poop tweet. f-word the idea I cant call him a dick, when he puts that poop there publicly on social media.

Everyone DOES NOT need to get a trophy! Jesus help us all.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:10 pm
jessejames02 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:05 pm
I can tell

The players should have big boy britches on by now.
Yep! :thumb:
Dear Karma,

WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

307bball wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:04 pm
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:41 pm
I think that is fair...I'm kind of on Cornpokes side in this in general but I guess as long as the criticism are "fair" (tough to define) then by all means. The derision directed at Levi for ostensibly transferring for a girl and then proposing is out of line IMO. I actually am of the opinion that sacrifices made in the effort to find the one you are going to try and spend the rest of your life with will always be worth it. I don't see anything glaringly immoral in player decisions to transfer.
I would take the next step and say that, in the grand scheme of life, Levi did absolutely the right thing. It sounds like his fiancée was much better-situated on her team at Utah State than Levi was here. In an equal opportunity world, it is reasonable for him to make the change instead of asking her to give up her position.

I also want to emphasize that it looks like half, or even a majority, of the players who announced they were entering the Portal graduated from the University of Wyoming. I don't care if they had still had scholarship eligibility, they came and played for us until they graduated, like they signed up to do. College graduates move on to the next thing in life. That is the whole point of the institution. That is what these players are supposed to do. Some guys stick around and take extra classes. Others are even good enough to get into Wyoming's Graduate School. That isn't something easy or automatic. (We actually have a pretty high-quality university here.)

If I were coach, the Neyor departure an the two quarterback departures would make me lose sleep at night trying to figure out how to prevent them from happening again without sacrificing the fundamental pillars that Coach Bohl believes a successful team is built upon. (Note: I do not believe Coach Bohl is going to embrace a system that makes his defense play significantly more downs or possessions.) I don't think any of us have any business thinking twice about graduates moving on, whether they have eligibility or not. For the other U.W. alumni on this board, how many of you kept taking classes after you graduated? If you did, did you start grad school or law school in Laramie? Or did you go for a second Bachelors?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Do we have any indications that the transferring players are complaining and "not being tough enough" to handle the criticism, or is that just a knee-jerk reaction to being called out on being immature?

It is more than possible that most of the players don't give a crap what we say and that those yelling and screaming about them leaving are the real snowflakes.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:20 pm Do we have any indications that the transferring players are complaining and "not being tough enough" to handle the criticism, or is that just a knee-jerk reaction to being called out on being immature?

It is more than possible that most of the players don't give a crap what we say and that those yelling and screaming about them leaving are the real snowflakes.
LOL

It is board members here (and elsewhere) that can't handle the criticism of players, by other board members here (and elsewhere). You know the type...they love juice boxes.

And yes, most players could likely give zero poop what is said here. And / or don't read it - shame on them if they do honestly. After all, this is a f-word message board.
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:33 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:20 pm Do we have any indications that the transferring players are complaining and "not being tough enough" to handle the criticism, or is that just a knee-jerk reaction to being called out on being immature?

LOL

It is board members here (and elsewhere) that can't handle the criticism of players, by other board members here (and elsewhere). You know the type...they love juice boxes.

And yes, most players could likely give zero sh#t[#] what is said here. And / or don't read it - shame on them if they do honestly. After all, this is a f##k[#] message board.
I agree that players don't care what we think (as they shouldn't). Players are free to make their own life choices.

Similarly, we are free to voice our own opinions and displeasure. If any players did read it, I am sure most players probably think I am full of poop and I respect their ability to formulate their own opinions.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:22 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:33 pm

LOL

And yes, most players could likely give zero sh#t[#] what is said here. And / or don't read it - shame on them if they do honestly. After all, this is a f##k[#] message board.
I agree that players don't care what we think (as they shouldn't). Players are free to make their own life choices.

Similarly, we are free to voice our own opinions and displeasure. If any players did read it, I am sure most players probably think I am full of poop and I respect their ability to formulate their own opinions.
Same same. That, and if anyone here thinks Wyoming and our fanbase is "bad", your head is in the sand. We are mild in comparison. Very mild.
Dear Karma,

BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:35 pm
Sounds like a snowflake post to me. An adult (18+) needs to have a bit thicker skin, grow some hair on his / her balls, and let things roll off their back.
I hope you'd agree, then, that an adult fan should have thicker skin, grow some hair on his balls, and let the personal choices of a player he used to cheer for roll off his back.

Some of the biggest snowflakes and crybabies I've seen aren't on Wyoming's football team, they're on this message board.