Bowl season wrap up and NC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Honestly, I watched much fewer bowl games than in the past. The games I sat down for were largely pretty boring and I ended up not watching the whole game. There were some really good games too that I enjoyed. That Utah game was pretty wild and I actually enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl as well. I guess MWC did alright--we're clearly better than the MAC, lol. Honestly, most of the MWC bowl teams, I'm pretty indifferent if they win or lose.

For the NC, it sucks. I'm also tired of the SEC but I guess the reality is those two teams are clearly the best in CFB. It wouldn't matter how many teams were in the playoff; nobody is as good as Bama and Georgia. If nothing else is going on, I'll probably tune in. It should be a good football game if you can get over the nauseating fact that it is sec vs sec.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

The PAC-12 completely stinks when it comes to the bowl season. 0-5!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:59 am Honestly, I watched much fewer bowl games than in the past. The games I sat down for were largely pretty boring and I ended up not watching the whole game. There were some really good games too that I enjoyed. That Utah game was pretty wild and I actually enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl as well. I guess MWC did alright--we're clearly better than the MAC, lol. Honestly, most of the MWC bowl teams, I'm pretty indifferent if they win or lose.

For the NC, it sucks. I'm also tired of the SEC but I guess the reality is those two teams are clearly the best in CFB. It wouldn't matter how many teams were in the playoff; nobody is as good as Bama and Georgia. If nothing else is going on, I'll probably tune in. It should be a good football game if you can get over the nauseating fact that it is sec vs sec.
SEC dominance continues...they are running some sort of semi-pro league down there. I too experienced the overall indifference to bowl season. I enjoyed the Rose bowl even if I did not really care about the two teams in it.

What does it mean with the SEC being so dominantly better at the top than everybody else?...I mean..is it overall a bad thing? Not so much for Wyoming...but I have always liked college football and I don't like seeing it diminished. It can't be good. What are they doing that nobody else is doing? Why can't USC or anybody west of Oklahoma not get outclassed in these games?..I guess Oregon got the closest.

Of the 18 possible slots of the past 8 national title games along with the upcoming one...three teams...Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson have taken up 14 of those slots....crazy.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

MWC Wins the bowl challenge. Yeah Bama and Georgia are probably the 2 best teams just doesn't feel right the NC should be between the same conference.
I'm good for 3!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I don’t see how college football survives on its current trajectory. Will people watch Bama/Clemson bama/Georgia every year. I don’t think so.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:28 am SEC dominance continues...they are running some sort of semi-pro league down there. I too experienced the overall indifference to bowl season. I enjoyed the Rose bowl even if I did not really care about the two teams in it.

What does it mean with the SEC being so dominantly better at the top than everybody else?...I mean..is it overall a bad thing? Not so much for Wyoming...but I have always liked college football and I don't like seeing it diminished. It can't be good. What are they doing that nobody else is doing? Why can't USC or anybody west of Oklahoma not get outclassed in these games?..I guess Oregon got the closest.

Of the 18 possible slots of the past 8 national title games along with the upcoming one...three teams...Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson have taken up 14 of those slots....crazy.
laxwyo wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:30 am I don’t see how college football survives on its current trajectory. Will people watch Bama/Clemson bama/Georgia every year. I don’t think so.
You guys bring up good points. I think the other thing is the transfer and nil (I know we talked about it before). I'm sure within the SEC and perhaps other conferences they will maintain their following, but I wonder how many other fans they will lose? Reality is the NFL is a better football product. Once college becomes the NFL through highly paid players going to whatever team, I wonder how many casual people will follow it? Once super teams start through the transfer portal (and I bet they will), college football at the highest level will be dead.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

The reality is that recruiting always allowed the big, wealthy schools to functionally stockpile the equivalent of 20 first and second round draft picks. With limitless NIL money from boosters and the new transfer rules, they now have the tools to match their draft picks with unfettered and uncontrolled free agent access to every kid at every other school in the country. If you think that the dominance was bad before, it is about to become absolutely obscene.

As a result, the only thing that I can do is not give them my eyeballs on their product. I know it is like spitting in the ocean to fill it, but it's all that I know how to do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I won’t watch the championship game. I pretty much only watch the cowboys. I used to watch tons and tons of college football
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:07 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:28 am SEC dominance continues...they are running some sort of semi-pro league down there. I too experienced the overall indifference to bowl season. I enjoyed the Rose bowl even if I did not really care about the two teams in it.

laxwyo wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:30 am I don’t see how college football survives on its current trajectory. Will people watch Bama/Clemson bama/Georgia every year. I don’t think so.
You guys bring up good points. I think the other thing is the transfer and nil (I know we talked about it before). I'm sure within the SEC and perhaps other conferences they will maintain their following, but I wonder how many other fans they will lose? Reality is the NFL is a better football product. Once college becomes the NFL through highly paid players going to whatever team, I wonder how many casual people will follow it? Once super teams start through the transfer portal (and I bet they will), college football at the highest level will be dead.
We already have a group of super teams, but I agree, once they settle in there will be a smaller group that dominate every year. At that point it'll be like a minor league system for the NFL. In fact, I'd rather see each NFL team sponsor a college team. That could be their feeder league. Then the rest if us could go back to being normal college teams. Let the 32 minor league teams play one-another and have their own Super Bowl light. Their non-football teams could still be in the conferences that they're in now.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

cowboyz wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:13 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:07 am

We already have a group of super teams, but I agree, once they settle in there will be a smaller group that dominate every year. At that point it'll be like a minor league system for the NFL. In fact, I'd rather see each NFL team sponsor a college team. That could be their feeder league. Then the rest if us could go back to being normal college teams. Let the 32 minor league teams play one-another and have their own Super Bowl light. Their non-football teams could still be in the conferences that they're in now.
It might even consolidate the recruiting even more. I think there will be a lot of P5 schools that might suffer the same fate. Imagine if you're middle of the road P5 school that has a decent history of football achievements but you're not considered a blueblood. These schools might actually get crushed as much as the rest of us. Does Kansas St. have the staying power to compete? I think they might get relegated as well because the 10 super schools will now have a complete monopoly on recruiting. Just a thought. Maybe there's a chance that a 16 teams super division of football emerges and they create 4 divisions of 4. Let everyone else reform into real college football.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Holy cow LSU! 38 scholarship players, no qb, new kicker? Yep! They'll play. Finding myself cheering for them just cause.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:59 am Honestly, I watched much fewer bowl games than in the past. The games I sat down for were largely pretty boring and I ended up not watching the whole game. There were some really good games too that I enjoyed. That Utah game was pretty wild and I actually enjoyed the Fiesta Bowl as well. I guess MWC did alright--we're clearly better than the MAC, lol. Honestly, most of the MWC bowl teams, I'm pretty indifferent if they win or lose.

Well, NIL is going to change some of the teams in the very near future. Texas and Texas A&M are going to make their presence felt in the college football playoffs. I read on a football message board ( and no I don't a link to verify this claim) but Texas A&M boosters raised a super amount of NIL money to recruit the # 1 class in America. I think we are going to see the wealthy schools do this in the future. As far as Bama is concerned, once Saban leaves I think they will fall from the mighty. Saban is just one heck of a coach and until he retires no one is going to touch Bama.