Levi to Utah state….

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:12 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:48 pm

I’m not going to debate religion because everyone is free to their own religious choice and I don’t see how it is relevant.

But as far as being beneficial to Utah State, I’m not so sure. At this point, Utah State has 3 QBs on its roster that want to start. What kind of a message does this send to the players already in your program? Does this acquisition create tension for Utah State, only time will tell.
So where did I say anything about religion or do you assume the only reason people wouldn't like byu or byu light is because of religion?
If the latter, you are mistaken.
I don’t know if this is directed at me. I was merely responding to LKGates.

I’m on the record pretty clearly for my disdain for BYU and how it backstabbed its longtime conference partners and almost left Wyoming without a conference of its plan was successful. I have two favorite teams every week, Wyoming and BYU’s opponent.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:19 pm

I’m not going to debate religion because everyone is free to their own religious choice and I don’t see how it is relevant.

But as far as being beneficial to Utah State, I’m not so sure. At this point, Utah State has 3 QBs on its roster that want to start. What kind of a message does this send to the players already in your program? Does this acquisition create tension for Utah State, only time will tell.
So where did I say anything about religion or do you assume the only reason people wouldn't like byu or byu light is because of religion?

I’m on the record pretty clearly for my disdain for BYU and how it backstabbed its longtime conference partners and almost left Wyoming without a conference of its plan was successful. I have two favorite teams every week, Wyoming and BYU’s opponent.
You forgot about the Black 14. That event kept Wyoming from becoming "Boise State" LONG before Boise State.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:24 pm

You forgot about the Black 14. That event kept Wyoming from becoming "Boise State" LONG before Boise State.
That too - but Wyoming’s coach Eaton was really to blame for the problems Wyoming faced. Then it took a really long time for Wyoming to finally admit it was dead wrong in supporting Eaton’s decision.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Gotcha. I was also quoted in that and mistakenly thought you were referring to my dislike of usu as a religious thing. I've despised them since the late 90s. One of the dirtiest teams going. I don't remember players but usu cheap shot our kick returner and our guys' helmet rolled nearly 15 yards to the endzone. I thought the stands were going to clear. I don't remember year but somewhere around 99 or 2000.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:28 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:24 pm

That too - but Wyoming’s coach Eaton was really to blame for the problems Wyoming faced. Then it took a really long time for Wyoming to finally admit it was dead wrong in supporting Eaton’s decision.
He never coached again after that mess. But yeah, Eaton and the administration royally messed up badly but...the ones who really started it was BYU.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:33 pm

Gotcha. I was also quoted in that and mistakenly thought you were referring to my dislike of usu as a religious thing. I've despised them since the late 90s. One of the dirtiest teams going. I don't remember players but usu cheap shot our kick returner and our guys' helmet rolled nearly 15 yards to the endzone. I thought the stands were going to clear. I don't remember year but somewhere around 99 or 2000.
Wyoming didn't play USU in '99 or in 2000. We started playing them again in 2001 in Logan (Wyoming 43-42 over USU) after last playing them in 1978.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Might have been 07 game.

Also let's not forget they were byu's bedfellow in the project.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Levi is not old enough to play for byu jr
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:40 pm Might have been 07 game.

Yup. And for 30 years Wyoming was complicit in keeping Utah State out of the WAC and the Mountain West, but you don't see me holding that against Wyoming. Get over it.

And while I have your attention, can you give me a reason for calling USU "BYU lite" or "BYU junior" that doesn't involve religion? I'll wait...
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LKGates wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:39 pm

Yup. And for 30 years Wyoming was complicit in keeping Utah State out of the WAC and the Mountain West, but you don't see me holding that against Wyoming. Get over it.

And while I have your attention, can you give me a reason for calling USU "BYU lite" or "BYU junior" that doesn't involve religion? I'll wait...
I wouldn't wait long... There really is no rationality in acting morally superior when it comes to college athletics. There is no way that Wyoming administration would not step over the dead bodies of longtime conference partners if they could.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

LKGates wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:39 pm

Actually...you're wrong. Blame Utah and BYU for that, not Wyoming. Wyoming was one of three schools that up for the last spot of a 6 team WAC to start play in 1962. Utah State and New Mexico State were the other two applicants for original membership. Due to recent, at the time, success for both NMSU AND USU, UNM and along with UU and BYU voted against them and approved Wyoming's membership.

Nice try, LKGates, but you went up against a historian. :D
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:49 pm
There really is no rationality in acting morally superior when it comes to college athletics. There is no way that Wyoming administration would not step over the dead bodies of longtime conference partners if they could.
Perhaps and I sure as hell wouldn't be on the message boards of teams we did dirty asking why they didn't like us. In other words, yeah, poop happens in the best interest of your school but don't expect the the bodies you walk over to turn a blind eye.

Screw byu lite even if they were following marching orders from their daddy. Screw their daddy too. Both dirty playin , low down, no good for nothin sons a bi%$@es.
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:59 pm
Actually...you're wrong. Blame Utah and BYU for that, not Wyoming. Wyoming was one of three schools that up for the last spot of a 6 team WAC to start play in 1962. Utah State and New Mexico State were the other two applicants for original membership. Due to recent, at the time, success for both NMSU AND USU, UNM and along with UU and BYU voted against them and approved Wyoming's membership.

I'm well aware of the history. Both my parents were Utah State Agricultural College alumni, class of 1941. Dad was the team physician for both football and basketball in the late 40s and early 50s. And history didn't stop in 1962. There were plenty of opportunities after that, which is why I said 30 years, and not 50. But the larger point is, I don't hold ancient history against Wyoming, but apparently some people can't get over past events.

And no one is addressing my other point. If religion isn't the issue, why call us BYU lite? Why not Utah junior? We have far more in common with the U of U than with BYU, unless that really isn't what bothers you.

At any rate, I seem to have worn out my welcome here. So, adios, amigos.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LKGates wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:11 pm

I'm well aware of the history. Both my parents were Utah State Agricultural College alumni, class of 1941. Dad was the team physician for both football and basketball in the late 40s and early 50s. And history didn't stop in 1962. There were plenty of opportunities after that, which is why I said 30 years, and not 50. But the larger point is, I don't hold ancient history against Wyoming, but apparently some people can't get over past events.

And no one is addressing my other point. If religion isn't the issue, why call us BYU lite? Why not Utah junior? We have far more in common with the U of U than with BYU, unless that really isn't what bothers you.

You’re welcome here.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Not my board or place to say who should be here or not. I said it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if my school tried to f-word over a conference and fans of that conference's teams didn't like my team. I also said I sure would'nt be trying to change those fans' minds or asking them to explain themselves on their own board.

I usually don't feel too compelled to explain myself in these situations, but since you are insinuating i'm a religious bigot, I guess I will in order to dispel that myth.

Daddy byu gave usu marching orders on the project, which if successful, would have screwed UW. Justify it however you want. If usu was successful, it would have hurt my team. Last I checked, the Utes didn't try to screw over the MWC like byu and byu lite. Secondly, when considering the fan bases of the 3 Utah schools, byu and usu fans more closely resemble each other than Ute fans. I'm sure you'll have 10k reasons why you're closer to Utes than the borg, but, to me you are byu's minnie me who worked together to try to destroy the MWC. The Utes didn't.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I hate Utah St. too. LK seems like a good dude so I try to be courteous but yeah the 2001 game in which we won 43-42 was one of the cheap shot games. That being said, it was a long time ago and you don't know why your hatred continues but a sports hatred is what fuels rivalries. I think its good when fans don't like other schools. At least there's passion.

My family is heavily mormon (I'm not) and I hate BYU . It's not so much that BYU is mormon but mostly because they're BYU and since Utah St is heavily mormon, then they are BYU light. Its the blue colors, the blonde headed student section with their dumb mormon haircuts. Yes they have haircuts. Remember when faux hawks were in fashion? Mormons jump on those trends and every mormon dude will have that haircut until they kill the fashion trend. Trust me, that's Utah St's student section. Its a like a hive lol. If you don't understand what I mean, Here's a pic that captures what I''m saying. To some of you it will make sense.
W-Y, Until I Die!
utaggies
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:40 pm

Not my board or place to say who should be here or not. I said it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if my school tried to [#]f##k over a conference and fans of that conference's teams didn't like my team. I also said I sure would'nt be trying to change those fans' minds or asking them to explain themselves on their own board.

I usually don't feel too compelled to explain myself in these situations, but since you are insinuating i'm a religious bigot, I guess I will in order to dispel that myth.

Daddy byu gave usu marching orders on the project, which if successful, would have screwed UW. Justify it however you want. If usu was successful, it would have hurt my team. Last I checked, the Utes didn't try to screw over the MWC like byu and byu lite. Secondly, when considering the fan bases of the 3 Utah schools, byu and usu fans more closely resemble each other than Ute fans. I'm sure you'll have 10k reasons why you're closer to Utes than the borg, but, to me you are byu's minnie me who worked together to try to destroy the MWC. The Utes didn't.
I frequently come to this board although I can’t recall ever posting here. Perhaps I’ll regret doing so now.

First, you seem to think that “The Project” was only a USU/BYU thing. The entire WAC signed off on it but the principles were Fresno St., BYU and USU. The events that precipitated “the project” were as follows (together with post-“project” events):

- Boise St. Joins the MWC in June 2010

- less than a week later Utah announces it is leaving for the PAC-12. BYU wants out, too, but has no where to go. BYU felt lied to by the MWC and Comcast in 2006 on rebroadcasting BYU sporting events that were not broadcast by the MWC. Utah’s departure was the straw that broke the camel’s back

- Fresno. St. and Utah St. approach BYU in July 2010 about “the project” which would bring BYU’s olympics sports to the WAC together with a scheduling agreement for football. The hope also is that BSU will return to the WAC

- “the project” is torpedoed by Hair when he invites Nevada and Fresno to the MWC (prior to that USU declined the invitation which was all the evidence Hair needed of the “plot”). Nevada and Fresno St. went back on their agreements and bolted to the MWC. By the end of August 2010 BYU would announce it would leave the MWC to the WCC anyway with its olympic sports and went independent in football. BSU continued with its move to the MWC and the remaining teams in the WAC were then left on life support.

- On November 29, 2010 TCU announces it will leave the MWC for the Big East Conference

- On December 7, 2011 San Diego St. and BSU announce they are leaving the MWC for the Big East Conference

- May 2, 2012 SJS and USU are invited to the MWC

- On December 31, 2012 BSU announces it will return to the MWC without ever competing in the Big East.

- On January 16, 2013 San Diego St. announces it will remain in the MWC

What is the takeaway from all this? All teams are in it for themselves. There is no loyalty, only survival.

You may want to temper your anger about the part USU played in “the project” and whether the object of that effort was to kill the MWC (it wasn’t) as you consider Wyoming’s lead roll in the airport meeting which created the MWC during the Spring of 1998 and left for dead the other 8 members of the WAC. Are plots only evil when you are not among the group of plotters?

I am very pleased that USU is in the same conference and division with CSU and Wyoming. The vast majority of Aggie fans feel the same way. Our history together goes back a long ways. I hope our relationship continues for years to come.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Meh, if those other former wac teams don't like WYO because of the formation of the MWC, then yeah, that's their business. I sure as hell won't be running around the internet trying to set them straight on their message boards.

Pretty simple, usu closely resembles byu; was heavily involved and very loyal to daddy in a plot that would have been detrimental to WYO; took glee in putting bsu and the MWC in a bad spot; historically was cheap shot u when it came to football; now either poached or accepted WYO's starting qb. However you choose to look at it is fine, but don't be shocked if opposing teams on their home message boards don't agree.

I'd prefer we never step foot in Utah other than to play the Utes. However, the dislike isn't so severe that I care enough about playing usu (like byu who I hate that we scheduled). Just another game, but I do wish we'd get rid of the stupid trophy.
utaggies
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:15 am Meh, if those other former wac teams don't like WYO because of the formation of the MWC, then yeah, that's their business. I sure as hell won't be running around the internet trying to set them straight on their message boards.

Pretty simple, usu closely resembles byu; was heavily involved and very loyal to daddy in a plot that would have been detrimental to WYO; took glee in putting bsu and the MWC in a bad spot; historically was cheap shot u when it came to football; now either poached or accepted WYO's starting qb. However you choose to look at it is fine, but don't be shocked if opposing teams on their home message boards don't agree.

I'd prefer we never step foot in Utah other than to play the Utes. However, the dislike isn't so severe that I care enough about playing usu (like byu who I hate that we scheduled). Just another game, but I do wish we'd get rid of the stupid trophy.
USU’s involvement in “the project” was not a matter of being, as you say, “loyal to daddy” anymore than the airport meeting was about Wyoming being loyal to its daddy, CSU. Both events were a matter of trying to better the conference. Was not the MWC poaching BSU detrimental to the WAC? Should Nevada, Fresno St.. and USU fans hate BSU and the original MWC schools for that? Do you hate the University of Utah and TCU for leaving the MWC for greener pastures? If you go back far enough, do you hate ASU and Arizona St. for leaving the WAC? The hate thing all gets a little silly after a while.

I like a trophy for rivalry games. USU only has three of those that are played for. The wagon wheel, for USU/BYU, the Beehive Boot for the best Utah football team (no longer a thing because Utah won’t play USU anymore), and the Bridger Rifle for the USU/Wyoming game. Keep that rifle in a safe place. We’re retrieving it next year.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LMFAO, I couldn't come up with better examples. Sheesh. Notice usu fans calling csu our daddy on our message boards? Very eerie how closely they resemble byu fans.

As for the trophy, who cares. The only thing relevant is the win/loss as it relates to conference standings. The only thing usu game serves as is a bad reminder of the spot we've put ourselves in. Some beyond our control and some self inflicted.

Either way, byu lite is a team I'll never care for.