Past Transfers out of Laramie

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:19 pm
cowboyz wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:11 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 am Lol at the above assessment of kongbo’s career. A career backup on a bad team. CFL? Funny. We have guys in the NFL. I bet komgbo would have flourished here and made at least a NFL practice squad straight of college. Don’t know why it is not apparent by now, but we are really good at developing players.
Lol...He started at Tennessee, who were 18-19 while he was there. Not great or good, but one game under .500 isn't exactly bad. It's tough to win in the SEC, but they did beat 4 ranked teams while he was there. Tennessee has way more of their players drafted into the NFL and has many more playing or that have played. He probably made a little north of a $100k in his rookie season in the CFL. The CFL isn't the NFL regarding salaries or competition, but it's second best and he got paid to play a sport. Most of us would love that. He signed a $1.8 million dollar contract with the 49ers after his rookie season in the CFL, but then another injury, the same thing that ended his senior year at Tennessee. He was waived before the season and only received an injury settlement, which they usually don't say the amount, but it's generally a percentage of the first season.

He was a projected NFL draft pick before he got injured his senior season, which also caused him to miss pro day. Leaving the Pokes didn't hurt his chances at a professional career, injuries did, unless playing at Wyoming would have made him less injury prone. He's re-signed with his previous CFL team, Winnipeg, who have also won the past two CFL Championships. If he can get healthy I could see him back in an NFL camp again.
Tennessee sucked. Had like a 6-18 conference record when he was there. He didn’t play a ton . Victor jones had better stats this year than kongbo had in three. He would have shined here and would have had gaudy stats and had more attention due to those stats. He blew his opportunity.
6-18 in conference; how were they in games vs. left-handed quarterbacks, how were they against teams that are located north of them? When you said a "bad team" I guess you meant a bad conference record team. How do you think the Pokes would have done with the exact same SEC conference? In those same three years would the Pokes have beaten the 4 ranked teams Tennessee beat? Hell, in those three years would the Pokes have been able to beat Tennessee? While our record may have been better, it was hardly against the competition he got to face playing for Tennessee. Kongbo wasn't a "career backup", in his junior season he started 10 games and in his senior season he started 5 of their 6 games before his season ending injury. I think you just made up the Victor Jones having better stats in a single season...

I agree with Laxwyo that Kongbo would have had a bright future in Laramie, as the competition would have been lighter. But stats get you noticed, but not always drafted. My whole point here is that he signed a multi-year NFL contract but got hurt during camp. It wasn't that he left Wyoming that has caused him blow his opportunity, it was a history of injuries.

If he had never signed an NFL contract you'd have an argument. What part of this are you having trouble understanding?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

cowboyz wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:57 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 am Lol at the above assessment of kongbo’s career. A career backup on a bad team. CFL? Funny. We have guys in the NFL. I bet komgbo would have flourished here and made at least a NFL practice squad straight of college. Don’t know why it is not apparent by now, but we are really good at developing players.
Lol...He started at Tennessee, who were 18-19 while he was there. Not great or good, but one game under .500 isn't exactly bad. It's tough to win in the SEC, but they did beat 4 ranked teams while he was there. Tennessee has way more of their players drafted into the NFL and has many more playing or that have played. He probably made a little north of a $100k in his rookie season in the CFL. The CFL isn't the NFL regarding salaries or competition, but it's second best and he got paid to play a sport. Most of us would love that. He signed a $1.8 million dollar contract with the 49ers after his rookie season in the CFL, but then another injury, the same thing that ended his senior year at Tennessee. He was waived before the season and only received an injury settlement, which they usually don't say the amount, but it's generally a percentage of the first season.

He was a projected NFL draft pick before he got injured his senior season, which also caused him to miss pro day. Leaving the Pokes didn't hurt his chances at a professional career, injuries did, unless playing at Wyoming would have made him less injury prone. He's re-signed with his previous CFL team, Winnipeg, who have also won the past two CFL Championships. If he can get healthy I could see him back in an NFL camp again.
Tennessee sucked. Had like a 6-18 conference record when he was there. He didn’t play a ton . Victor jones had better stats this year than kongbo had in three. He would have shined here and would have had gaudy stats and had more attention due to those stats. He blew his opportunity.
6-18 in conference; how were they in games vs. left-handed quarterbacks, how were they against teams that are located north of them? When you said a "bad team" I guess you meant a bad conference record team. How do you think the Pokes would have done with the exact same SEC conference? In those same three years would the Pokes have beaten the 4 ranked teams Tennessee beat? Hell, in those three years would the Pokes have been able to beat Tennessee? While our record may have been better, it was hardly against the competition he got to face playing for Tennessee. Kongbo wasn't a "career backup", in his junior season he started 10 games and in his senior season he started 5 of their 6 games before his season ending injury. I think you just made up the Victor Jones having better stats in a single season...

I agree with Laxwyo that Kongbo would have had a bright future in Laramie, as the competition would have been lighter. But stats get you noticed, but not always drafted. My whole point here is that he signed a multi-year NFL contract but got hurt during camp. It wasn't that he left Wyoming that has caused him blow his opportunity, it was a history of injuries.

If he had never signed an NFL contract you'd have an argument. What part of this are you having trouble understanding?
Conference record is not some obscure stat lmao. Tennessee was not great. Guessing 3-18 against teams not named Vanderbilt. Wyoming would have had a chance at beating them better each year 2016-2018 imo. Kingbo had pedestrian stats and that’s not debatable and certainly not what you’d expect from a JC all American and five star recruit. This tells me he likely got a raw deal with the coaches at Tennessee and got poor coaching and did not get developed. Imo it would have been different at Wyoming for him. Wyoming would have bent over backwards to keep him happy and put him in a position to succeed. At Tennessee he was just another player. What’s the better situation? From what I heard from players the Wyoming staff was super excited for him and he had a starting DE spot secured. He was set to light the on world fire here. Then he f-word that up. What did it get him? Not much.

You think players always should transfer to a “bigger “ school if they are able and that is the best route. I don’t. I think you can reach the highest heights of football playing here and it’s been proven. The best development is game development. Guess we think differently.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time

Wasn't there a QB who followed Dave Christiansen to Utah? Don't think he ever played a down for them.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

COS Cowboy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:31 am Wasn't there a QB who followed Dave Christiansen to Utah? Don't think he ever played a down for them.
That was Jason Thompson, he moved over to Safety.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:05 pm

Conference record is not some obscure stat lmao. Tennessee was not great. Guessing 3-18 against teams not named Vanderbilt. Wyoming would have had a chance at beating them better each year 2016-2018 imo. Kingbo had pedestrian stats and that’s not debatable and certainly not what you’d expect from a JC all American and five star recruit. This tells me he likely got a raw deal with the coaches at Tennessee and got poor coaching and did not get developed. Imo it would have been different at Wyoming for him. Wyoming would have bent over backwards to keep him happy and put him in a position to succeed. At Tennessee he was just another player. What’s the better situation? From what I heard from players the Wyoming staff was super excited for him and he had a starting DE spot secured. He was set to light the on world fire here. Then he f##k[#] that up. What did it get him? Not much.

You think players always should transfer to a “bigger “ school if they are able and that is the best route. I don’t. I think you can reach the highest heights of football playing here and it’s been proven. The best development is game development. Guess we think differently.
We do think differently. You're saying he MAY have gone to the NFL if he stayed at Wyoming, and I'm saying he DID go to the NFL, even though he didn't play for Wyoming. I agree that if healthy, he could have had monster relative stats at Wyoming. And maybe the Wyo staff would have bent over backwards for him. But we really don't know.

You just make stuff up.

You say a "career back up" - he was a starter.

You "guessed 3-18 against teams not named Vanderbilt" - Vanderbilt wasn't among their SEC victories, although they did have victories against nationally ranked SEC teams these years.

"Victor Jones had better stats this year than Kongbo had in three" - ?? Maybe you were thinking about Carl Granderson.

"Then he f##k(#) that up. What did it get him? Not much." - He's a professional football player! His shot at the NFL is not gone. Once healthy, he could get back in a camp and sign another contract. He wasn't cut due to potential, it was due to injury.

At the end of day he played his cards and it got him to an SEC team, where he was noticed and drafted early first round in the CFL, which lead to an NFL contract. Not getting drafted by the NFL could have been due to missing the second half of his senior season causing him to miss pro day and being injured during the draft. Much like undrafted Granderson I mentioned above, NFL teams will pass you in the draft regardless of your performance on the field if they think they may be wasting a pick on damaged goods.

He's made some money and is still taking his shot. Good for him, even if goes against where you think he would have ended up.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Had Kongbo stayed at Wyoming, he would have won a Heisman trophy, the HAPC would have been named the Be Like Kongbo Training Center, every Wyoming jersey would have the name Kongbo on the back, and most importantly Kongbo would have ate lots more potato oles. What could have been!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

cowboyz wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:12 pm

Conference record is not some obscure stat lmao. Tennessee was not great. Guessing 3-18 against teams not named Vanderbilt. Wyoming would have had a chance at beating them better each year 2016-2018 imo. Kingbo had pedestrian stats and that’s not debatable and certainly not what you’d expect from a JC all American and five star recruit. This tells me he likely got a raw deal with the coaches at Tennessee and got poor coaching and did not get developed. Imo it would have been different at Wyoming for him. Wyoming would have bent over backwards to keep him happy and put him in a position to succeed. At Tennessee he was just another player. What’s the better situation? From what I heard from players the Wyoming staff was super excited for him and he had a starting DE spot secured. He was set to light the on world fire here. Then he f##k[#] that up. What did it get him? Not much.

We do think differently. You're saying he MAY have gone to the NFL if he stayed at Wyoming, and I'm saying he DID go to the NFL, even though he didn't play for Wyoming. I agree that if healthy, he could have had monster relative stats at Wyoming. And maybe the Wyo staff would have bent over backwards for him. But we really don't know.

You just make stuff up.

You "guessed 3-18 against teams not named Vanderbilt" - Vanderbilt wasn't among their SEC victories, although they did have victories against nationally ranked SEC teams these years.

"Victor Jones had better stats this year than Kongbo had in three" - ?? Maybe you were thinking about Carl Granderson.

"Then he f##k(#) that up. What did it get him? Not much." - He's a professional football player! His shot at the NFL is not gone. Once healthy, he could get back in a camp and sign another contract. He wasn't cut due to potential, it was due to injury.

At the end of day he played his cards and it got him to an SEC team, where he was noticed and drafted early first round in the CFL, which lead to an NFL contract. Not getting drafted by the NFL could have been due to missing the second half of his senior season causing him to miss pro day and being injured during the draft. Much like undrafted Granderson I mentioned above, NFL teams will pass you in the draft regardless of your performance on the field if they think they may be wasting a pick on damaged goods.

He's made some money and is still taking his shot. Good for him, even if goes against where you think he would have ended up.
You're right. They didn't even beat vanderbilt. That's pretty bad. Still not sure why you think transferring to a last place SEC team is so great. It obviously didn't get him noticed, but hey, he spent one week in a mini camp and is in the CFL making ~60k for getting his head bashed in. I can almost guarantee he certainly would not have ended up in a worse position had he stayed at Wyoming. Heck, a guy like Cash Maluia got drafted because Wyoming has a great reputation for developing quality defensive players. He would have gotten noticed here. Glad Kongbo actually made starter on his last place team by the time he was upperclassmen - he could have been one as a freshmen here, probably would have racked up gaudy stats and made all conference. At least he got to play at Tennessee? yay
cowboyz
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:39 am
cowboyz wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:12 pm

You just make stuff up.

You're right. They didn't even beat vanderbilt. That's pretty bad. Still not sure why you think transferring to a last place SEC team is so great. It obviously didn't get him noticed, but hey, he spent one week in a mini camp and is in the CFL making ~60k for getting his head bashed in. I can almost guarantee he certainly would not have ended up in a worse position had he stayed at Wyoming. Heck, a guy like Cash Maluia got drafted because Wyoming has a great reputation for developing quality defensive players. He would have gotten noticed here. Glad Kongbo actually made starter on his last place team by the time he was upperclassmen - he could have been one as a freshmen here, probably would have racked up gaudy stats and made all conference. At least he got to play at Tennessee? yay
He transferred to a nationally ranked SEC team. It probably looked pretty good at the time he was making his decision. But you think he should have come to Wyoming to get his head bashed in? All this time I thought these guys played the game because they love it and maybe, just maybe, could make a career from it. By the way, he makes more than 60k a year in the CFL. As I don't have the time travelling crystal ball that you're obviously in possession of, I can only form my opinion by what has actually happened, not what you can almost guarantee would have happened. Next thing you'll probably tell us that you own a copy of the Grays Sports Almanac 1950-2000 edition from Back to the Future, and you and Biff made a fortune at the Vegas Soprtsbook.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Brett Smith got bad info going into the NFL Draft i betcha he wishes he coulda taken it back, he coulda been special too his senior year, he needed 1 more year!!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 pm Brett Smith got bad info going into the NFL Draft i betcha he wishes he coulda taken it back, he coulda been special too his senior year, he needed 1 more year!!
He never was going to have the arm for the NFL. Perhaps entering the draft that year gave him a chance to potentially make a practice squad and get a paycheck, we will never know.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Cornpoke wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:20 am
stymeman wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:59 pm Brett Smith got bad info going into the NFL Draft i betcha he wishes he coulda taken it back, he coulda been special too his senior year, he needed 1 more year!!
He never was going to have the arm for the NFL. Perhaps entering the draft that year gave him a chance to potentially make a practice squad and get a paycheck, we will never know.
I think Brett Smith will admit he made a mistake at this point. He left before he even got a degree and then I believe he ultimately paid to finish a degree.

Brian Hill OTOH made a great decision. Another year of substantial carries at the college level probably lowered his career outlook. Hill has been able to remain relatively healthy for a RB by not taking too many NFL carries and thus has stuck around collecting various playchecks over the years.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:06 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:20 am
I think Brett Smith will admit he made a mistake at this point. He left before he even got a degree and then I believe he ultimately paid to finish a degree.

Brian Hill OTOH made a great decision. Another year of substantial carries at the college level probably lowered his career outlook. Hill has been able to remain relatively healthy for a RB by not taking too many NFL carries and thus has stuck around collecting various playchecks over the years.
I’m not positive but I think Burman might have hooked him up. It’s a vague memory, I might be wrong.
W-Y, Until I Die!