Wyoming acquires from the portal...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

We need some uplifting news. Not a single player signed from the portal yet but that has to change quickly or we are in for a Koenning bad season next year (and maybe worse). So let's see who we land!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

We're losing talent, but the cupboard isn't bare. Let's take a look at who we've lost:

Levi Williams: This one came out of left field, but we knew that he wasn't happy after the New Mexico game.
Sean Chambers: Writing was on the wall with this one. How many more times would Bohl have given him the keys and benched him mid-year if he stuck around, though?
Isaiah Neyor: Everyone and thier dog knew this was going to happen. If you don't throw the ball your stud receiver won't be yours much longer.
Keyon Blankenbaker: Entered the portal before the bowl game, which was a surprise. Glinton filled in nicely, though.
CJ Coldon: Graduated. Surprised he entered the portal.
Azizi Hearn: Graduated. We got him from the portal. I'm surprised he entered again.
Victor Jones: He was on the disciplinary list last season and the beginning of this season. Don't know what happened, but this wasn't a huge shock.
Cam Murray: Never saw much in the way of playing time
Xavian Valladay: Surprised he transferred rather than going pro. He was gone either way.
Rome Weber: Opted out last season. Word on the street is that Bohl was not happy about the opt outs, and let the players know it.
Trey Smith: Graduated
Chad Muma: Going to the NFL
Esias Gandy: Graduated
Ayden Eberhardt: Graduated

We also know that we're going to lose a few more to graduation or transfer, so let's focus on what we've got:

QB: Who knows? Beerup is the only one that has thrown a pass in a game.
RB: No issues here. Swen and McNeely are going to step right in, and we have a full stable behind them
WR: Cobbs is the standout, but we've got plenty of depth (Gunner Gentry will be coming back after injury)
O-Line: We hear that there will be defections, but this is a deep unit. I'd like to see a new o-line coach, but that probably isn't happening.
TE: Not losing anyone that we know of yet
D-Line: Losing Crall and Jones hurts, but we've got a ton of depth here
LB: Easton Gibbs is the next great LB in Laramie, and there are plenty more waiting in the wings. Reed Sunn was supposed to have a breakout year this season, but got hurt in camp.
Nickle: Glinton showed that he's got the chops to take over for Blankenbaker
CB: This is the unproven spot on the team. Zaire Jackson is a name we heard a lot during camp, and Cam Stone showed some good things this year.
S: Isaac White played well. Lots of youngsters ready to go here.

------------------------------------------------

Are we losing a lot? Absolutely. Is it time to panic? Not yet. One thing is for certain, though, the coaching staff MUST evolve or this is going to continue to be a problem.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Nice break down. My only gripe is we did throw Neyor the ball. A lot.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:01 pm We're losing talent, but the cupboard isn't bare. Let's take a look at who we've lost:

Levi Williams: This one came out of left field, but we knew that he wasn't happy after the New Mexico game.
Sean Chambers: Writing was on the wall with this one. How many more times would Bohl have given him the keys and benched him mid-year if he stuck around, though?
Isaiah Neyor: Everyone and thier dog knew this was going to happen. If you don't throw the ball your stud receiver won't be yours much longer.
Keyon Blankenbaker: Entered the portal before the bowl game, which was a surprise. Glinton filled in nicely, though.
Azizi Hearn: Graduated. We got him from the portal. I'm surprised he entered again.
Victor Jones: He was on the disciplinary list last season and the beginning of this season. Don't know what happened, but this wasn't a huge shock.
Xavian Valladay: Surprised he transferred rather than going pro. He was gone either way.
Rome Weber: Opted out last season. Word on the street is that Bohl was not happy about the opt outs, and let the players know it.

We also know that we're going to lose a few more to graduation or transfer, so let's focus on what we've got:

RB: No issues here. Swen and McNeely are going to step right in, and we have a full stable behind them
WR: Cobbs is the standout, but we've got plenty of depth (Gunner Gentry will be coming back after injury)
O-Line: We hear that there will be defections, but this is a deep unit. I'd like to see a new o-line coach, but that probably isn't happening.
LB: Easton Gibbs is the next great LB in Laramie, and there are plenty more waiting in the wings. Reed Sunn was supposed to have a breakout year this season, but got hurt in camp.
CB: This is the unproven spot on the team. Zaire Jackson is a name we heard a lot during camp, and Cam Stone showed some good things this year.

Are we losing a lot? Absolutely. Is it time to panic? Not yet. One thing is for certain, though, the coaching staff MUST evolve or this is going to continue to be a problem.
Thanks for the breakdown. It does seem like most of the players leaving would have been done if not for the extra year. Surprised that they opted for portal rather than trying pro route or staying.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:01 pm We're losing talent, but the cupboard isn't bare. Let's take a look at who we've lost:

For the 1st time under Bohl and in a looooong time I'm not really excited about Wyoming Cowboy football and i could care less what happens hereon out, might change my mind come start of season...and I'm considering NOT going to the game at Illinois 1st game next year....maybe my desire will change...time will tell
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 pm Nice break down. My only gripe is we did throw Neyor the ball. A lot.
Only in your head did this happen. He didn't even have enough catches to qualify for NCAA rankings. He had 44 receptions for the year. That's a little more than 3/game. That's a lot? McBride at csewe had 90 catches.

That's some gripe. We threw to an open receiver who never dropped the ball. You have to be the most butthurt baby on this board.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:44 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 pm Nice break down. My only gripe is we did throw Neyor the ball. A lot.
Only in your head did this happen. He didn't even have enough catches to qualify for NCAA rankings. He had 44 receptions for the year. That's a little more than 3/game. That's a lot? McBride at csewe had 90 catches.

That's some gripe. We threw to an open receiver who never dropped the ball. You have to be the most butthurt baby on this board.
Yeah if transfers to a more balanced offensive team he will probably get 9 or 10 catches a game next year rather than 3 a game and be a 1500+ yard reciever with 20 TD's.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

This is a good breakdown but basically in the defensive secondary there is literally zero experience behind the guys leaving and a team loaded with freshman and sophomores. We need transfers unless we have no problem getting our teeth kicked in next year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Here is a number - 636 FBS players remain in the transfer portal out of 911 that have entered since August 1.

There are some Wyoming transfers that are likely to be without an FBS home purely based on numbers.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WTF are you talking about? Neyor was 54th in receiving yards - 878, 7th in TDs - 12. What kind of numbers did you expect him to have? That's a damn good season. We got him the ball plenty and he was targeted far and away the most on the team. His role would continue to grow and things were really beginning to click with Williams and a nice complementary piece was beginning to emerge in Cobbs. You're stupid
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:30 am Here is a number - 636 FBS players remain in the transfer portal out of 911 that have entered since August 1.

There are some Wyoming transfers that are likely to be without an FBS home purely based on numbers.
The grass isn't always greener...

And I agree, several will be sitting home, and several will be in a lower tiered group (DII, DIII, etc.). To that, I say f-word YOU.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:35 am

WTF are you talking about? Neyor was 54th in receiving yards - 878, 7th in TDs - 12. What kind of numbers did you expect him to have? That's a damn good season. We got him the ball plenty and he was targeted far and away the most on the team. His role would continue to grow and things were really beginning to click with Williams and a nice complementary piece was beginning to emerge in Cobbs. You're stupid
Wyoming was 118th out of 130 teams in yards per game passing. Neyor was 150th in number of catches. So I guess he had a good year for being on one of the worst passing teams in the country. And no, that's not a damn good season. No receiver who actually wants to catch passes instead of run block is coming to Wyoming. The thought that Williams was clicking with anyone in the passing game is hilarious. He could hit Neyor when he was wide open on a deep route and that's about it. But you're the same moron who bitched about Vigen for years. I'd think someone as wrong about everything as you are would think a little before you post this nonsense.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:30 am Here is a number - 636 FBS players remain in the transfer portal out of 911 that have entered since August 1.

Haener, the Fresno st. qb, entered the portal, apologized and is staying. What happens to these players who enter the portal and get no offers? Would Bohl have them back? Levi has no offers. Would Bohl take him back? There could be some really awkward situations where the player has to come back with his tail between his legs.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:14 pm

Haener, the Fresno st. qb, entered the portal, apologized and is staying. What happens to these players who enter the portal and get no offers? Would Bohl have them back? Levi has no offers. Would Bohl take him back? There could be some really awkward situations where the player has to come back with his tail between his legs.
I guess I could see it as "testing the waters"....maybe it's not a tail between the legs situation...I just don't know.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:14 pm

It would be an awkward situation for sure. IMO, Wyoming should welcome them back with open arms. Some players are just receiving very poor advice (be it from family members, social media, etc..). It would show that the Wyoming community isn’t abandoning these guys. Someone like Bohl should have enough life experience to realize that you never burn bridges.

That said - I’d expect Levi Williams to get several offers eventually (and he might have already received some). The offers however are likely to be schools like North Texas, Rice, UTEP, Abilene Christian, Sam Houston State, etc…
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

You have to realize Neyor can get paid good money at a P5 school also, doesn’t matter if he will get some more catches at Wyoming. He can probably get as many catches at a P5 school and be getting paid for it. At Wyoming he isn’t getting paid anything. Even if He got some endorsement deal to be paid in Wyoming it wouldn’t be near as much as he could make at a big P5 school. If you are a broke college kid or your family needs money, those dollar bills from bigger programs will get you to those schools.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:50 pm

You have to realize Neyor can get paid good money at a P5 school also, doesn’t matter if he will get some more catches at Wyoming. He can probably get as many catches at a P5 school and be getting paid for it. At Wyoming he isn’t getting paid anything. Even if He got some endorsement deal to be paid in Wyoming it wouldn’t be near as much as he could make at a big P5 school. If you are a broke college kid or your family needs money, those dollar bills from bigger programs will get you to those schools.
What is preventing Wyoming from paying players?
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Economics and markets. Money is for NIL and the State of Wyoming just doesn’t have the marketing ability of other places and teams. Sorry but an offer of free wings at Lovejoys and free clothing at the Brown and Gold is unlikely to move the needle.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Remember, schools can't pay the players, that hasn't changed. But outside businesses can. One example is every offensive lineman at Texas will get $50K a year.
There's not a lot of businesses in Laramie/Wyoming that will give 1 player that kind of money let alone 16 players. Like Oredigger said, it's an economic chasm between the haves and have nots.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:31 pm

Remember, schools can't pay the players, that hasn't changed. But outside businesses can. One example is every offensive lineman at Texas will get $50K a year.
There's not a lot of businesses in Laramie/Wyoming that will give 1 player that kind of money let alone 16 players. Like Oredigger said, it's an economic chasm between the haves and have nots.
So what is to keep me a "booster" for example, putting money towards Laramie GM to sponsor players? As a booster I want players sponsored by local business's and donate that money to those business's. Or I could create my own "shell" business specifically to sponsor players...How can the NCAA actually ever enforce how the money is received? There are so many ways one could approach this.
I'm good for 3!